Are We At A Crossroad As A Club?

weedurranty

Why are we to be proud about hating people of another religion ? We want to dislike other fans and clubs who we compete with but why do we need to turn it in to a religious thing especially when the people concerned generally don't go to church but simply hold long-seated anti-catholic sentiments.

Rangers does have a history of drawing support from Protestant Scots and Ulster-men but nowadays we are supported by people of every religion and our players are a very broad church themselves.

Bigotry is not something to be proud of. Be proud of our achievements on the field of football.

We don't get to exclusively decide the meaning of the offending word, it comes down to the generally accepted meaning, and right now it has religious connotations. Whether the few hundred who post on here like it or not, that's how it is and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Change the word, get the chant back. It's that simple. EBT is a funny piss-take for the moment, as is big trophies, but it's not a serious replacement. Surely all the various fans groups could get together and distribute the new lyrics to their followers on match day. "Rebel" for instance can only be seen as a political statement and as we know, "political" stuff is fine. If we as a support, with all these fans organisations, can't change one word then we don't deserve it back. It's now or never to be honest.

I agree with this. There has to be a unanimously adopted replacement. I would back it up with a statement to the press with regard to the new lyric. After that the offended have not a leg to stand on and the club cannot be punished due to being perceived to be doing everything they can.

Why are we to be proud about hating people of another religion ? We want to dislike other fans and clubs who we compete with but why do we need to turn it in to a religious thing especially when the people concerned generally don't go to church but simply hold long-seated anti-catholic sentiments.

Rangers does have a history of drawing support from Protestant Scots and Ulster-men but nowadays we are supported by people of every religion and our players are a very broad church themselves.

Bigotry is not something to be proud of. Be proud of our achievements on the field of football.

Because you are at a football match ya muppet, you take something about the other support and for 90 mins you let rip at them.

Then we all go to the pub or home and that's it until next weekend, the quicker folk get their heads around this the better.

My bus leaves from a mixed pub the banter in the pub goes back and forth all night it can even get heated at times but not one of us would call each other a bigot we just support a different team.

Because you are at a football match ya muppet, you take something about the other support and for 90 mins you let rip at them.

Then we all go to the pub or home and that's it for until next weekend, the quicker folk get their heads around this the better.

this is why the OBAFM should be repealed. Part of the fun is being as offensive to opposing fans as you possibly can. Criminalising people for what you stated in your post is simply wrong and this applies to all football supporters - not just us.

this is why the OBAFM should be repealed. Part of the fun is being as offensive to opposing fans as you possibly can. Criminalising people for what you stated in your post is simply wrong and this applies to all football supporters - not just us.

Agreed mate, used to have a wee mate who was a tim (before the wee idiot died) and I have actually stood at OF and the 2 of us waved to each other across the segregation before the game then for 90mins screamed abuse at each other, meet in the pub after the game and got pished together.

The handwringing muppets in our society who have to be offended because they can't understand something are beyond a joke, sadly these idiots are in power these days.

Fuck all to do with religion or hating anyone. It is the principle and basic right of freedom of speech, infringement of a civil liberty. Being criminalised for just supporting a football team. Being unjustly used and demonised by those who do truly hate.

If we are really such a broad church, then each of that broad church should be allowed to sing what the fuck they want and that includes TBB and any other from our long standing and proud heritage.

I don't give one fuck what the scum sing, but I'll be fucked if they think they can infringe my civil liberties. Now go tell the scum about bigotry as they are the true bigots and all the deflections by them and their spineless appeasers will not change that.

There were 50,000 proudly singing TBB and if you cannot cope with that or feel offended, then you clearly support the wrong team and have a warped sense of what bigotry really is.

Honestly fuck right off you are as ignorant as the ones on the outside

I dont think we as a club are at a cross roads, but The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 legislation is.

It has been shown to be unworkable and unenforcable in any serious way. We have no arrests yesterday with regard to this act - yet the media are getting themselves in a lather about a game in which the police sought to take absolutely no action. It is therefore the very definition of the phrase " trial by media".

And note that the press are not differentiating between lyrics in TBB - they are simply saying that TBB is banned and shouldn't have been sung.

Michael Kelly penned a brilliant article ripping apart this legislation when it was still to be passed.. it is an unworkable joke much like the people who dreamt up its vontent.

We dont sing TBB to be anti-catholic, we sing it because its something that has been sung for decades, because it gets the blood pumping and in our current state is a finger to every single bastard who has kicked us on our way down saying we will be back and we will never been treated like that again.

Just hearing news about this Bull Shit investigation into "sectarian" singing at the game yesterday and it is making my blood boil. I know Im far away in Canada and maybe don't get the full perspective but please help me understand this: C#$tic can sing "go home ya H***" and "Orange Bastards " to us and yet we get investigated for singing songs that have been part of our history for over 100 years. If THEY can fall back on the insane excuse that they are going back to their Oirish roots then why can we not say we are just celebrating our Protestant roots? seems a double standard no? Maybe this is the current Liberal bleeding heart type of society Scotland is becoming? Please enlighten me before I burst a blood vessel

I agree with your sentiments about the liberal bleeding heart society Scotland is becoming mate, I blame the snp for that and given I used to work with snp local elected members in a local council (a big council), I was in snp office for whole of 2015,, I guess I know what I'm talking about, such as Nicola sturgeon calling for refugee vigils and that like, I didn't work with her obviously but in my mind she doesn't know what's best for Scotland except from maybe independence

Sturgeon: "I would take a refugee in my home"

Well you live in a mansion and you're rich aren't you? What about the public who to be honest half of us are poor already never mind adding the idea of a new refugee in every home

Scotland couldn't afford to put up with all the refugees sturgeon tried to get us to bring over

Look at what's happening in Germany there are too many refugees to even police them and it's dangerous , sturgeon has no clue what's good for our nations future sorry for the rant

If she thinks even a third of Scotland could afford to take refugees in our home then she is entirely out of touch with her country... I don't want to either think of 100 years down the line what will our country be like then if Sturgeon made ridiculous decisions such as flood us with Syrians while we are basically fighting isis

I have a dictionary given to me when I started school dated 1954 and the word fenian means a group of American Irish trying to remove the British from Ireland. I objected to it being translated into catholic by the media and at the time it should have been argued in the courts. Unfortunately we as a club at that time, possibly due to our success thought we were above a lot of stuff and just didn't get involved.

Now try Googling the word Fenian and see what comes up the only different meaning I could see was from a timothy claiming it was a slang term for Catholics who support celtc.

I have absolutely no doubts that in 2016 we will hear the word being used a lot more by them, infact did some lady not stand in the centre circle at Parkhead and use the word over the tannoy system?

The main reason it has been banned is as anyone of a certain age and also no matter your age was at the game on Monday could see and hear the noise is incredible and makes our players play even better and immediately intimidates the opposition no matter whom they are.