Davie Weir: Warburton & Weir Just Getting Started.....

Small piece from The Scottish Sun with Sir Davie. You tell 'em Davie..........

DAVID WEIR last night eased fans’ fears Mark Warburton could quit Rangers this summer — and insisted he’s just getting started.

Derby County are the latest club to put Ibrox boss Warbs on their radar, but No2 Weir claims they have never considered

returning to England. Tomorrow marks the first anniversary of Dave King’s landmark EGM victory.

And while great strides have been made in a year, Weir admits there’s much more to be done.

The Gers legend told SunSport: “I know it’s a year since the new board arrived, but myself and Mark only came in in the summer. We’ve only been here six or seven months.

“We’re only just starting a project that still requires a lot of work.

“We have made progress, there’s no doubt about that, and the players have been fantastic in terms of buying into what we want to achieve.

“But I think we all realise there’s still a long way to go. We are not even a year into a three-year plan so nothing has changed in that respect.

“Mark is not one for throwing about glib comments. He says what he means. We are 100 per cent focused on this.

“It’s a great job, a big job and we’re loving it.

“We’re working towards something here and Mark realises the potential, he’s an intelligent man.

“We haven’t had any talks or any thoughts about going elsewhere. I can assure you we are enjoying the job here.”

Encouraging words from our man Davie,  there always has been massive potential at Rangers, us fans can only hope the current team from the Chairman down can unlock it and get us back where we belong despite the rest of Scottish football holding us back any way they can.

Just now, cumnockbear said:

Just stating what we already knew, we don't need some shit stirring rag to tell us.

I think most of us believe every word Warburton says but naturally some fans will always have a small element of concern given the number of times we've been let down over the last few years.

Personally I have no concerns, however Davie reiterating his and Warburton's stance, and hearing and reading quotes from the men themselves can only ease the fears of those less certain.

I was privileged to be at SDW's Rangers debut where he organised a chaotic defence almost from the first minute. He is now part of a management team that has transformed the chaos they inherited in the space of a few months. 

Truly a Rangers legend and Dave King should be making sure these guys go nowhere. 

Warburton will stay his 3 year tenure, the only thing we can hope is that he falls in love with us enough to stay beyond his contract. I think Weir goes with him ln any case, albeit possibly being offered to stay in the top job.

Saying the gaffer does leave, I think the foundations will be set in stone by then and any manager coming in would only have to do certain tweaks to maintain a winning formula. 

We genuinely have won a watch here with regards to landing Warburton, in what was most certainly our time of need.

Let's fuck these no marks today and continue our way back to the top, where we belong. 

They have already been shit on by Brentford, and the average tenure for a manager in England is just over a year with trigger happy chairmen expecting instant success with each job attracting 100s of applicants.

Some clubs will have had  more managers in the last 20 years than we have had in 144 years, no doubt the day will come when Warburton and Weir will have to make a big call on their future but they are not silly men and will have a look around at their current surroundings and status and realise a bigger and better job is nigh on non existent, the only thing about The Rangers that cant be changed is geography we are where we are and that is the only negative.

Any "big club" in England will be choc full of huge earning prima donnas and imo it would be harder for Warburton and Weir to implement their ideals on these players in the length of tenure around which the chairmen operate.

Regardless of the money on offer if they are happy at their work which they undoubtedly are that will have a huge bearing on any decision to be made.

its only my gut feeling but I thing they will be around for a while.

I just read an article on Alex Mcleish there,seemingly he is manager number 6 (this season ffs)

1 hour ago, born a blue nose said:

Warburton will stay his 3 year tenure, the only thing we can hope is that he falls in love with us enough to stay beyond his contract. I think Weir goes with him ln any case, albeit possibly being offered to stay in the top job.

Saying the gaffer does leave, I think the foundations will be set in stone by then and any manager coming in would only have to do certain tweaks to maintain a winning formula. 

We genuinely have won a watch here with regards to landing Warburton, in what was most certainly our time of need.

Let's fuck these no marks today and continue our way back to the top, where we belong. 

If Warburton leaves the main job of the board is to get in someone who has the same philosophy and keeps the same structure. We don't need another manager coming in and changing everything again, as it would be substandard to what we will have.

1 minute ago, ZZed said:

If Warburton leaves the main job of the board is to get in someone who has the same philosophy and keeps the same structure. We don't need another manager coming in and changing everything again, as it would be substandard to what we will have.

That's what I mean by concrete foundations, I don't think anyone will be able to change our philosophy, provided it is still working to the desired effect. 

No shit. It's pathetic that Weir needs to come out and say this because of certain Mhedia outlets trying to spread shit about us. Warburton will see out his 3 year contract unless performances and results drop severely or there is a conflict between him and any board members.

19 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

That's what I mean by concrete foundations, I don't think anyone will be able to change our philosophy, provided it is still working to the desired effect. 

I am in complete agreement but I worry that some one will come in and want to change thing as a salve to their ego. But this is a worry for after MW decides to go on to other pastures.

I think the only club that would turn his head before the three year point would be Spurs and they seem to be doing ok.

I hope the board offer him an extension during the summer and do everything they can to keep him here longer. 

He is a special manger.

So at the end of the 3 year plan, we are back competing at the top of the premier. Hopefully Champions and competing in Europe again. MW will probably be hot property with English Premier teams sniffing around, big decisions for him then to make. Try his hand in the big boys league down south, or have a crack at European football with us, which he may not get going back down south. I hope to fuck he is still here to witness a European night at Ibrox. When it is his time to go then DW would be the perfect man to step up giving the philosophy they both share. I know some fans may not want that giving the Ally era (Walters pupil stepping up). But giving the way it's going so far it certainly seems the sensible decision to me. 

4 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

Spot on mate and if we had gotten the last managerial appointment wrong it could have set us back years to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Trouble is that if we are as successful in the 3 years as we hope then the sad truth is we don't have the cash to hold on to them. Let's hope money is not the motivator and building a dynasty is! 

MW is a self made millionaire, I can't see money being his motivation on a career path regarding football management, I also think we're not as cash strapped as some would like to make out, and three years further down the line I think we will be financially secure anyway. That said I do believe the lure of managing at the very top level in England (should the chance arrive) may well tempt him at some point in the future, and if he's earned that right by making us successful then we can't begrudge him it either. 

2 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

I disagree my friend.

A stupid appointment like McCoist could wreck things in a matter of months.

For continuity I think I'd have Weir.I think he has, in my opinion, the profile of a successful manager.

Whatever, I think that the board should be planning for the worst and evaluating potential managers now. That is following careers and keeping an eye on them so that if and when the time comes we have a shortlist of candidates. Lets also not forget the Hat has not yet delivered the level of success we want, I think he will, but we can't discount the possibility that he will not.

I want Warburton to stay but who could grudge him the chance to manage Spurs if the opportunity came along. It would be like asking one of us not to grab the chance to go to Rangers.

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

I think the only club that would turn his head before the three year point would be Spurs and they seem to be doing ok.

I hope the board offer him an extension during the summer and do everything they can to keep him here longer. 

He is a special manger.

The good thing about this potential temptation is that Pochettino is actually one of the few managers in the UK that I would take instead of Warburton. Unless Levy goes of on one of his power trips again, Spurs won't be changing manager for a while if they can keep Poch on board.

8 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

If he stays long enough to stand on that touchline as the CL music stops and he gets blew back down the tunnel he will stay for a lot longer than 3 years thats for sure.

Aye once he experiences and old firm and a european night at Ibrox, he will be in awe. I can see him being here for the best part of 10 years, no joke.

Straight from the horses mouth (a thoroughbred at that) that him and MW have signed a 3 year contract and are going nowhere. Reminds me of when Souness arrived and brought in Walter and left us in Walters capable hands and the rest was history. Would have no doubts that if MW did decide 3 year down the road that he wanted back near home for his kids and family's sake then we would be left in capable hands of SDoW. Still hoping that MW and this whole team still wants to stay and finish the job!!!! What would that be when we say finish the job???

I was originally sceptical about Warburton, given he had only 18 months experience as a manager.

However, I'm not ashamed to admit I was wrong.

Very well done to all those who were suggesting his appointment.

I don't keep up much with football outside Rangers and I just have to accept, and very happily so, that these guys knew far better than I did. 

I doff my cap to them.