Gedion Zelalem

Zappa6995

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, ThatNightInFlorence said:

Rogic was Halliday's man.

Utter nonsense he should have picked him up.

He could see the move happening and ball watched.

I can bet Warburton pulled him up for it.

Football is about defending as a team when you dont have the ball.

Just now, Smile said:

Utter nonsense he should have picked him up.

He could see the move happening and ball watched.

Halliday clearly lost Rogic IMO. Gedion was picking up Brown. Even the way Halliday collapses to the ground tells you, IMO, that he knows he let Rogic go and it was his error. Halliday had Rogic but then he got caught ball watching. That said Halliday was sensational throughout.

Regardless it matters not a jot! We won and that's all that counts!

1 minute ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Halliday clearly lost Rogic IMO. Gedion was picking up Brown. Even the way Halliday collapses to the ground tells you, IMO, that he knows he let Rogic go and it was his error. Halliday had Rogic but then he got caught ball watching. That said Halliday was sensational throughout.

Think you could hold a number of people accountable but as you say it doesn't matter now we got the result we deserved but is something that will need to be addressed for future games.

Just now, AllyMcCoist said:

Think you could hold a number of people accountable but as you say it doesn't matter now we got the result we deserved but is something that will need to be addressed for future games.

Yeah I think there were a few errors in the build up but these things happen and when you over analysis it's very easy to pick things apart in minute detail. But yeah we won and for now, that really is all that matters!

57 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Of course it matters a fresh player on stands watching a player scoring rather than shuts him down.

We won't always get away with it.

It was def hallidays error! 

He was as watching the ball. If he had checked over his left shoulder or opened his body up, he would have saw Rogic peel off him and stop him getting that yard of space to finish 

1 hour ago, AllyMcCoist said:

The ball should never have came in, in the first place to be perfectly honest.

13 minutes ago, Smile said:

Of course it matters a fresh player on stands watching a player scoring rather than shuts him down.

We won't always get away with it.

Every single goal in the history of the game no matter how spectacular is preventable in some way or another. In theory marking your man and not letting him go should be a very simple exercise and on retrospective viewing you can't fathom why someone lets a player go. However it happens in every single game. And it will always happen. Getting drawn to the ball is so simple. It's almost human nature and when legs are tired, minds are tired mistakes happen more often. It's understandable. The key is to maintain concentration and focus to the very best of your ability for as long as you can and do your very best to eradicate and minimise your errors and hope when you do slack off you're not punished. 

Sadly on this occasion Halliday slacked off and we were punished. He wasn't the only one though. A few others should have prevented the ball getting wide and cut back in the first place. But it is what it is. We know mistakes were made but we just need to try to learn from them. The bigger picture is that we won though and the fact we are discussing this despite a win is all very healthy and shows, like the gaffer always says we should never stand still and always strive to be the very best we can be.

Certainly composed on the ball and can pick out a pass/keep the ball moving.  The only negative for me was when he should have been the one of the freshest on the pitch having just come on, but was occasionally quite laboured/lazy in tracking back and pressing.  He done well overall when he came on though and great penalty.  Also nice to see him buzzing at the end with the rest of the boys.

5 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Law was too easily beaten for that goal, especially when their player was in an isolated position; he should have kept him where he was and closed down his options. It was a bad goal to give away.

Agreed but I think Laws mistake was not to try to force the player out wide.  Law allowed himself to be backed up into the box where it would have been rash for him to have made a tackle.  Had he forced their player out wide, most he gives away is a free kick.

Not really on topic but thought I'd post this here.

I thought Law did well when stepping up for the Penalty knowing he may not be at the Club next season, and with no signs of a contract.

I've not been his biggest Fan of late but still thought it showed a strength of character to take one.

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

I thought Law did well when stepping up for the Penalty knowing he may not be at the Club next season, and with no signs of a contract.

I've not been his biggest Fan of late but still thought it showed a strength of character to take one.

He does have his moments, but the first 8 or so minutes he was on showed why he's not a favorite. He took a brilliant penalty that got us win the game. 

Did excellent when he came on. Sub may have been forced but it was the right time for him to come on. They were almost a man down in midfield and a lot of attack went through him. Think we might have struggled if he started the game so he came on at the perfect time and his penalty was great too! Well done Gid

13 minutes ago, Smile said:

For the first half of the season anytime Law has came on or started I think he's been impressive. However for the second part of the season he has had a lot less game time and with his contract situation, and magnitude of the game it was always going to be difficult for him but overall he done okay and his penalty was fantastic.

I'll admit I was a bit worried when he stepped up but I was worried with every penalty to be fair! However technically Law has always been good. Some of his goals and passing, when he has time have been top quality so in hindsight a penalty is probably one of his strengths. Brilliant composure.

In a possession based team players like Zelalem are important. Keeps the play ticking over and protects the ball from the opposition. That is why MW likes him, or not if you don't want to believe what he says, and why Zelalem will do well in the game.

Ideally you get this type of player when he is 26, 27, 28 and he has grown into a defined role. Whether that be a deep lying playmaker, box to box midfielder or attacking midfielder etc. But by that time you're talking about big money to bring them in.

Those expecting the finished article from a teenager on loan making his first senior appearances are kidding themselves on and likely play too much football manager.

8 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Nobody expects the finished article from a 18/19 year old,

They clearly do. Why else would people write off a teenager playing his first season of senior football if they didn't?

13 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

However what we do and should expect from a player is to perform in the second tier of Scottish football given the reputation and apparent style the lad plays. That's not the case and if he was half as good as some on here claim, he would have have produced much more.

McKay struggled to make an impact at Raith and Morton as a teenager.

Now that the dust has settled on the game I'm more comfortable passing judgement on individual performances and I must admit I was very disappointed with Gids all round game. In particular he appeared lazy which cannot be tolerated in any game let alone an old firm match.

I wish him well in the future but I hope he ply's his trade elsewhere next season if I'm being totally honest.

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

People are commentating on what he's produced for us, which has been next to nothing, and don't want him to return. Nothing wrong with that, if the lad goes on and has a great career then I'm happy for him, I hope he does well as he seems like a nice kid. However at the end of the day it won't impact on me or our club so it's irrelevant and all that matters to me is what is produced for the Rangers. 

How we treat and react to young players we bring on loan is very relevant and will impact our club due to the path MW wants to take by utilising that market to the clubs benefit long term.

If he has produced next to nothing why was his loan extended by the club?

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Surely you're not comparing a 19 year old winger playing for a relegated team or a mid table team like Raith with someone regarded as one of the best young midfielders in world football playing for a team who's dominated the league this season?

McKay is a completely different type of player and doesn't have near the same reputation as Zelalem. Zelalem should be producing what McKay has done this season, some outstanding games, good ones and some average-poor. That's to be expected from younger players the lack of consistency. 

McKay has played three more seasons of senior football than Zelalem, who is playing his first season. McKay should be better. However he too struggled to make an impact in the second tier of Scottish football in 18 months. Should his ability have been written off too?

It seems you are placing a higher expectation on Zelalem just because he is from Arsenal.

He's living the dream :dioufcheer:

Zelalem keen to return

Arsenal youngster Gedion Zelalem is keen to keep the door open on a return to Rangers after impressing on loan in the Scottish Championship.

The 19-year-old American youth international has been a regular in Mark Warburton’s squad throughout a hugely successful season for Rangers, who earlier this month secured a return to the Scottish top flight for the first time since their liquidation in 2012.

Zelalem scored in a penalty shootout as Rangers defeated arch-rivals Celtic to reach the Scottish Cup final on Sunday, capping an impressive season for the youngster, and the midfielder has revealed he will consider returning on loan once more after he returns for pre-season training with Arsenal.

He said: “Firstly I'm going to go back to pre-season with Arsenal and see how I do there. If it doesn't work out there then this is another option.

READ MORE

Arsene Wenger: I won’t quit Arsenal

READ MORE

Arsene Wenger: I won’t quit Arsenal

Jack Wilshere injury return: Arsene Wenger confirms midfielder will be ‘available’ for Arsenal’s clash with Sunderland

Unprotected Arsene Wenger can now feel the full force of Arsenal’s frustrated fans

“I haven't spoken to the gaffer here yet about it but I'm sure that conversation will come up.”

Though Zelalem has found himself out of the side in recent weeks he made a pleasing cameo from the bench in the semi-final with Celtic on Sunday and he is keen to embrace the challenge of playing in such high-pressure Derby games.

“This is what I wanted in football to play in these types of games and big derbies be it Arsenal v Tottenham or Rangers v Celtic,” he added.

“I'm living the dream and I hope to continue to do that.”