Is there any need to pay big transfer fees?

pcbear

2 hours ago, ianferguson said:

I'd be happy if we never spent 1M plus ever again.We need to go for freedom of contracts with cash only for development fees as their will always be bargains available and we must make sure we play the market as well as Warburton has done so far.

Total pish 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, pcbear said:

Every time an EPL club splashes millions on a player, that blocks the progress of a quality youth player who with a chance could probably do the same job as the expensive import, the blocked youths should be our targets.

100% this, been saying it a while now, just because the EPL is awash with bandits at a cost of millions doesn't mean to say the talent stops. It's just case of finding it.

14 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

What's your plan for paying 2M players wages in a backwater league smartarse.

So when we are back in the champions league etc you don't see us spending £1 -2 million on players? I agree with your sentiment but it's fairytale nonsense 

It's been rumoured that the budget for next season has increased by £5m.  If we spend £1.5m on a transfer fee, then pay that player £10k/week, add in agent fees, we're already £2m in to the budget.  So we'd only have £3m left to strengthen the rest of the team and we need about 5 quality players.  We got one quality player in today for £250k which is great news for the summer budget.  If we beat Hibs and get in to Europe the budget will go up a little and we'll have the ability to attract even better players so that's more good news.  Freeing up wages by getting rid of guys like Bell frees up even more money.  We need to maximise our potential for success in terms of the budget and recruit as best we can off the back of that.  We need to get as much quality in as we can, as cheaply as we can, which is something Warburton and McParland can do.

In terms of quality for a small developmental fee I think Daniel Bentley should be one of our highest priorities at the moment.  He'd be every bit the coup Rossiter is, if not more. 

14 minutes ago, SasaPapacLoyal said:

So when we are back in the champions league etc you don't see us spending £1 -2 million on players? I agree with your sentiment but it's fairytale nonsense 

Every year it gets harder to qualify for the champions league so unfortunately I don't think that'll be an issue any time soon. The tims  have had ALL the cash to themselves for a few years now with little success in Europe and the English leagues have so much money we'll struggle to attract top players anyway.

3 hours ago, Broxi said:

Probably speaks of the quality of the SPL that we can buy players worth as little as they are that can go and tear teams apart, if chosen wisely. But going onto really taking on the top league comfortably and Europe there on after that I think we'll need a few million pound signings eventually. It's all very good finding a Tav and a Waghorn this year. But sooner or later you'll sign a player and realise why they were worth so little. Celtic won't always be this shite. If they're spending £3m on a player from a Braga/Anderlecht/Ajax and we're spending £200k on a player from League 2, chances are they're getting the better player. We beat them once, and played far better,  but we still need to match them with spending. You can get lucky a few times but we probably need to spend more to really compete in Europe and to even make it through the qualifiers

Bollocks!

Larsson cost them £425K and what a player he turned out to be.

Young players who want to win medals and put themselves in the limelight will do well to sign for us.

Fact.

Individuals may have fast cars and good looking women. They don't give you immortality. Shagging slags and driving a Mercedes doesn't make you a legend. Effort, determination and the hunger for success might though.

To answer the op yes there may be a need to pay big transfer fees although that may not be at the present.Paying the fee may be the difference between getting the players who make you succeed and those who do not.Although the fee does not guarantee a player will succeed it usually is a good indication of a players ability(although some markets are overpriced).If we get our model right if we are shrewd with our signings it may help us push the boat out on the players that give us that extra quality and help us get to a higher level.If we plateau we may need to pay more.The flip side is true also just because a club is cash rich they do not always need to pay a high fee to get a good player.More of our signings likely will be players that are deemed good value for money but we should not discount paying a higher fee.

I'd be surprised if we spend more than 2-3 M this close season . 

Always thought it's about managers and their system , and in MW we've got one of the best. I can see us matching the tims , even if they spend 10-15M . Now , that really would be an achievement , and a sickener for them. 

22 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Every year it gets harder to qualify for the champions league so unfortunately I don't think that'll be an issue any time soon. The tims  have had ALL the cash to themselves for a few years now with little success in Europe and the English leagues have so much money we'll struggle to attract top players anyway.

They also had a terrible manager and sold their best players year after year. I see no reason why we can't beat the likes of Malmö or Maribor in a few years time 

You can get a great player for free or you can get one for £2million. It's all about identifying the right players, figuring out what they'd cost us, both in terms of transfer fee and wages, and making the decision as to whether the quality and value they'd add to the playing squad is worth the outlay required to sign them.

Of course you'll never get every transfer right, so there's a degree of risk in every transfer. If the management believe that the quality a player adds is worth the expenditure required to sign him and the risk involved in doing so then they will do so. This will be the case whether we're signing a player for free or for £2 million.

That's how I see it anyway.

6 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Spending 10M on a 20M player is the right amount of money ,however we won't be able to afford the wages on "the right player" so your point is futile.

Ok...... But if we can't afford his wage demands then he's not the 'right' player and we move on. 

I totally agree with your line of thinking when it comes to not splashing the cash for the sake of it and so far it's held us in good sted. But to categorically state that we should never spend over 1m on a player is extreme. 

2 minutes ago, West_Side said:

You can get a great player for free or you can get one for £2million. It's all about identifying the right players, figuring out what they'd cost us, both in terms of transfer fee and wages, and making the decision as to whether the quality and value they'd add to the playing squad is worth the outlay required to sign them.

Of course you'll never get every transfer right, so there's a degree of risk in every transfer. If the management believe that the quality a player adds is worth the expenditure required to sign him and the risk involved in doing so then they will do so. This will be the case whether we're signing a player for free or for £2 million.

That's how I see it anyway.

Aye, what this guy said. 

No. Those saying King needs to open his wallet, utter pish. Any money we spend on transfer fees we should be making in profit, not relying on shareholders to fund. That's what got us into the mess in the first place, spending outwith our means.

The likes of Rossiter is exactly the type of player we should be signing, then in a few years, sell him for £5million, £10million, £15million, whatever it is in a few years time.

Edit: To the guy that said £10million-£20million on a player is the right amount dohdohdohdoh:anguish:

All I can say is thank fuck you're not in charge of our finances. We play in Scotland ffs, who just signed a new 3 year TV deal worth £4million or something of that nature. Laughable.

We beat Celtic with a severely depleted team, it's what goes on in training and behind the scenes that matters.

Rossiter, Windass and Crooks cost us £310,000 collectively. Says it all really.

1 hour ago, LeeWallaceRFC said:

No. Those saying King needs to open his wallet, utter pish. Any money we spend on transfer fees we should be making in profit, not relying on shareholders to fund. That's what got us into the mess in the first place, spending outwith our means.

The likes of Rossiter is exactly the type of player we should be signing, then in a few years, sell him for £5million, £10million, £15million, whatever it is in a few years time.

Edit: To the guy that said £10million-£20million on a player is the right amount dohdohdohdoh:anguish:

All I can say is thank fuck you're not in charge of our finances. We play in Scotland ffs, who just signed a new 3 year TV deal worth £4million or something of that nature. Laughable.

We beat Celtic with a severely depleted team, it's what goes on in training and behind the scenes that matters.

Rossiter, Windass and Crooks cost us £310,000 collectively. Says it all really.

I was going to say have a cap of 60m so we don't go above that. We should also have a wage cap of 800m in my humble opinion. It's all about keeping a hold of the purse strings to reel in over enthusiastic spenders. :541:

No. We don't need big transfers to win Scottish la liga. It's like using a sledge hammer to break a tile! 

To compete in Europe and not be embarrassed is a different matter but regardless of possible European footy next season we need to concentrate on winning the league as that's the bread n butter so to speak.

theres not a lot of realism when it comes to Gers fans and transfers, Rangers is a massive club with a grand support but the best players won't come to play in a Mickey Mouse league with shit weather and facing hammer throwers 4 times a season.

we can get good players from English lower leagues to achieve number 55+ and have our finances in great shape. Let the tims go to Eastern Europe and spunk 2-3 million on a bitton or some other no mark.  Give me a Jason holt who plays with all heart and desire than some foreign twat that goes hiding

Sometimes yes. There's always bargains to be had but even with the best scouting abd management team in the world you still have to spend - how much is up for debate 

Id love a side that cost nothing and won us the league and into the CL but we need to be realistic here 

if it was so easy every team would be doing it 

I want us to spend money on talent - what we don't want us reckless spending ie going out and paying 6 million for a Michael Ball after the taigs beat us for a pick us up 

there's a balance to be had - I don't want people who made promises in regards to investment off the hook all because we got Holt for 60 grand one time 

13 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Can't put an exact figure on it but if the right centre back becomes available and the cost is say 1.5mill then I reckon we will probably spend it.

What about the left centre back? That's more of an issue to many.