Continuation of last season's form

TheKingObv

I just think it was a bad set up, it looks as though if Nico isn't performing we lack any creativity in midfield

If MoH and Harry had started, I think it would have been a different outcome

As bad as Kiernan and Hill may be, I don't think they played too badly albeit they were barely tested so still worries on that part

Thought Tav had a good game and our left hand side were way out of sorts, Barrie and Wallace just weren't in the game

Not the ideal start but I think with that set up it was always going to be a tough game

If it weren't for Barton breaking up a lot of play and sitting deep the result could have been worse

We only changed 3 personnel from last seasons familiar line up, out of that hill did ok, niko was off the pace and Barton was a standout, for things to improve going forward we need to get a settled team, a striker is a must as waghorn could be out for a while and a centre half also essential.

Whilst I'm not ready to panic we need to be dealing with the likes of Hamilton especially at home.

Slow tempo and predictable play came in after about 8 games last year. After that it was only the odd game here and there where we turned up and played quick attacking football. We were still good enough to beat most of they teams though, this season will be harder.

We need to up the pace especially in midfield and be more direct when we get the ball in the middle or out wide. I've no idea how he thought that midfield would offer anything in an attacking sense. Way to slow.

First half we played with an unfit Nico and the standard piss poor Miller. This team can't carry that disadvantage and the gaffer is responsible for this.  He's also responsible for using all our subs so early as there is always the risk of injuries.

That aside though our passing was poor, we huffed and puffed, and very few in blue got pass marks.

A really poor showing, from most players and management alike.

Edit.

Baffling Dodoo didn't get used at all when we're desperate for a goal

21 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

I just think it was a bad set up, it looks as though if Nico isn't performing we lack any creativity in midfield

If MoH and Harry had started, I think it would have been a different outcome

As bad as Kiernan and Hill may be, I don't think they played too badly albeit they were barely tested so still worries on that part

Thought Tav had a good game and our left hand side were way out of sorts, Barrie and Wallace just weren't in the game

Not the ideal start but I think with that set up it was always going to be a tough game

If it weren't for Barton breaking up a lot of play and sitting deep the result could have been worse

Agree with most of this, Barrie just about disappeared after half time, as for Miller we cant afford to give him the game time, we need Waghorn or somebody better in there as Kenny is not up to it anymore.

27 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

First half we played with an unfit Nico and the standard piss poor Miller. This team can't carry that disadvantage and the gaffer is responsible for this.  He's also responsible for using all our subs so early as there is always the risk of injuries.

That aside though our passing was poor, we huffed and puffed, and very few in blue got pass marks.

A really poor showing, from most players and management alike.

Edit.

Baffling Dodoo didn't get used at all when we're desperate for a goal

This. Thought might have put mckay bit further back and brought dodoo on

4 minutes ago, bluedart1952 said:

Agree with most of this, Barrie just about disappeared after half time, as for Miller we cant afford to give him the game time, we need Waghorn or somebody better in there as Kenny is not up to it anymore.

Miller must come on later and offer sole energy or if we are struggling, he was so effective at this last year and worked his way into the team

Fitness levels of premiership teams are higher and I fear he won't have as much as an effect than he did last year

Why MoH didn't start I'll never know

It's about as poor a game as I remember under the manager.

winning zero second balls in midfield with a slow energy less midfield.Barton though did improve later in the game.

you can't interchange the front 3 either with Miller in the lineup.hes not effective out wide.

the glaring deficiency in the team from day one are still there regardless of the playing staff.leaving both centre halfs to make last ditch tackles on a regular basis with the full backs miles out of the game.

but it's 1 game in and there's a long way to go and plenty to be optimistic about.

42 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

No invention going forward. Ridiculously slow tempo at times and incredibly shaky in defence.

Not going to hit the panic button just yet, but if we don't improve on that then the league will be over in no time.

It's hard to argue with that assessment.

As you touch on, there's time and it's too early to be pessimistic but it's quite clear what our problems are and that some of them have been there a while.

The management, players, and dare I say board needs to up their game here quickly or it's all just lip service.

We are quite clearly capable and it's been promised but as things stand the season has started and we weren't ready.

If, when you know there is a problem to be fixed (or more than one problem - in our case better CB defending needed and need a goal scoring striker) you then do little to fix it, or your efforts are insufficient, or you ignore it as a temporary thing and it will be all right in the long run..............then sooner or later you are going to come under very close scrutiny from your Boss if the problem(s) keep persisting.

In the case of MW - the magic honeymoon may draw to a close quite quickly if it becomes clear that his assertion of being 'more than competitive' does not look like it will come to pass.

In the case of DK - having promised so much......£30m to be precise.....he turns out to under-perform in the hope of getting success on the cheap then so too will his honeymoon period end and a closer scrutiny begin.     .