Something I noticed tonight

K.A.I

5 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

After the Accies match MW said that some of them need to be "braver" in the final third and almost positive he would liked to have named Barrie. Think this boy will go on to star for us but could take men on just a little bit more. He has the pace to leave defenders in his wake 

I think part of the reason for that though is when miller plays there isnt any point in hitting the byeline as there is nobody to hit in the middle , dodoo playing the width of the box and often off the last man made us much better as a team last night and gave moh the chance to play too his strenghs and in return he was my motm

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

:lol: McKay was our outstanding player last season and started well this season - 1st choice pick for me every time. Even when he is having a poor  game I have never seen him be lethargic nor lazy - always wants the ball and does a fair bit of tracking back to cover Wallace going forward. 

Not surprised you think this . Your blind to everything else (tu):P

10 hours ago, soulboy said:

I also thought for the 1st time in a while we played at slower pace but weren't struggling like we normally do when the majority of game is just above walking pace.

The poor standard of opposition last night allowed us to do that. Up against full time teams that just doesnt happen normally.

1 hour ago, gersandy said:

The poor standard of opposition last night allowed us to do that. Up against full time teams that just doesnt happen normally.

Last season we also struggled against part time teams when we weren't in full flow , problem is if we start with JB and NK then the pace of our play won't be high intensity for a whole game 

14 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

No I would give him a rocket up his arse . Love him but he is no 1 at the club for being very lethargic when he thinks he doesn't need to try to hard .

As I said . He needs rested and a kick in the balls . Get that attitude right

I've been a bit surprised to hear some people around me describe Halliday as being lazy.

15 hours ago, K.A.I said:

And before anyone says "o rly mongo' because it was 5-0, I noticed it early in and game and even at 1-0 - I thought we were a lot more direct tonight.

It was probably the couple of changes in personel but it was better to see for me.

Also I know it's only Peterhead, but there was still a difference in the directness tonight than there was against East Stirling, Annan and Stranraer before this.

I don't think big Dodoo had an amazing game to be honest, but again, like East Stirling, when he's playing I feel he offers us something different upfront and prime example being the 2 goals he's scored for us. He's a lot more readily available in the box for cut-backs and a bit of an outlet in general.

I think we should do something similar against Dundee away next week too. Same team and set-up except with Wallace and Fod back in (and with all due respect to Gilks and Hodson)

The more direct approach suits us a lot better,

Good sense of perspective there, but 5 is pretty satisfactory, even given the level of opposition. Sounded like it could have been more.

Bit better than poking about getting 2 & 3 against this level of opposition, as we did earlier on.

4 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Not surprised you think this . Your blind to everything else (tu):P

Coming from a 'he's shite get a new one' type supporter - you were probably one of the ones saying Nico shouldn't start or hill is shit! 

6 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

:lol: McKay was our outstanding player last season and started well this season - 1st choice pick for me every time. Even when he is having a poor  game I have never seen him be lethargic nor lazy - always wants the ball and does a fair bit of tracking back to cover Wallace going forward. 

"Always wants the ball"

No on Saturday he didn't when Clint Hill was looking to send him up the left wing towards the end of the game. He actually started moving towards Wallace instead of making the run. One of the most blatant cases of hiding from a pass I've ever seen.

10 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Coming from a 'he's shite get a new one' type supporter - you were probably one of the ones saying Nico shouldn't start or hill is shit! 

Yeah Nico shouldn't have started and I wouldn't next game either .

You got the he's a shite part right?

Yourself ??

16 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I get the feeling MW is getting the team fit and sharp, not picking the players he would normally pick.

16 hours ago, Inigo said:

If he is, I wish he hadn't against Hamilton.

The management got it wrong against Hamilton. Mr Warburton played a team in part to get the match sharpness of certain players up. The assumption was made that the occasion and inherent class difference of our players would carry us through against a poor performing side. It blew up in our face.

Evidence:

Throughout preseason Miller had the touch of a wrecking ball and failed to take a raft of chances, Kranjcar was living up to what his record suggested (played 20-odd games a season tops, since he was 25, retired from internationals just as long, playing in the US diddy league i.e. not the MLS), Hill nearly took an East Stirling player out the game (non-league) such was his timing; all 3 made the starting line up.

Conversely, we brought on Rossiter, O'Halloran, Forrester and every one of them was night and day in comparison; Rossiter was clearly not on the bench due to lack of fitness as he had been playing with England U19's, O'Halloran was raved about in preseason as he started to show he had pace and acceleration, Forrester is Forester. When they came on it was clear that we had been using the Hamilton game to get the fitness/sharpness of players up with a view to being in a better overall position in the weeks to come, these 3 players were ahead of Kranjcar/Miller in particular by weeks?!

Now the most concerning 2 things for me from the Hamilton game were as follows;

• Our manager said multiple times previously words to the effect of "It's great to get the players in early so we are ahead in terms of fitness and preparation" and yet what we've seen first hand is that Kranjcar and Miller were nowhere near ready, Hill was behind, Waghorn's out injured (could be bad luck or more indicative of the work we've put in). Against Motherwell we were out the gates slowly and could have got a hiding, the other lower-league opposition we never got out of 2nd gear, Hamilton we fell on our arse. It doesn't feel like that we've entered the season fitter and more prepared even if you can say we'd have beaten Hamilton with a few simple changes.
  • After the game, McKay and Mr Warburton both gave credit to Hamilton for the result. McKay said something like "Hamilton made it difficult for us getting back and defending", Mr Warburton said something similar with regards to them playing well and I feel that both were talking out their arse frankly; We threw the points away because as usual going forward we tried to walk the ball in allowing the whole opposition to get back and defend and through underestimating our opponents to the extent we played the league opener as a preseason friendly getting squad fitness/sharpness up. When Ross County lost to Alloa the manager said the result was embarrassing and with our mistakes being there for all to see I felt it was close to being dishonest and insulting to suggest Hamilton had achieved greatness instead of owning up to making a couple of big howlers, especially when one of them has been around for a year (lack of impetus going forward). Hamilton getting their arse handed to them off lower-league opposition again this season last night to Morton at home should tell it's own story.

Obviously if some of our shots/efforts had gone in we could have got away with it and it wouldn't be viewed as a mistake to have got the fitness/sharpness of some players up however last night against Peterhead was no turning of a corner with regards to impetus going forward, directness, pace, quick decisions etc. etc. Peterhead lost 4-0 to Alloa at the weekend and 2 of our goals came from a CB not famed for scoring and who has thus far been well off the pace, Kranjcar's goal was good to the point of being unlikely to be repeated week in week out, Dodoo got a couple but he had some guilt edged opportunities where he took too long on the ball; all I'm trying to say here is that while it was nice to see some things that were different last night, I don't think we have truly adopted the mindset that we need to be a few gears up on what we were at the weekend going forward (that's not to say we won't get it in the coming weeks, just Barry McKay's interview didn't indicate that going forward has been identified as being too slow behind the scenes and Peterhead won't be a measure of turning a corner in that regard).

What we've got as a squad for the money is outstanding and as we get our shit together we should walk to 2nd but if we try to win in 2nd gear every other week we'll piss away a title challenge before it's even begun. Celtic aren't great but if for e.g. you have an unfit Amo ( a few classes above what we have) at the back you can maybe get away with it, this squad has to up it (as we all know they can) and play consistently at that upped gear if it's to get by the top tier sides weekly when those teams are playing an extra 20% against us because of who we are.

1 hour ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

"Always wants the ball"

No on Saturday he didn't when Clint Hill was looking to send him up the left wing towards the end of the game. He actually started moving towards Wallace instead of making the run. One of the most blatant cases of hiding from a pass I've ever seen.

Oh well if that's what you saw in that then fine - for a young player hiding or being lazy are not attributes I associate with Barry McKay - kinda stunned that anyone has that critique of him. Oh well. 

17 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Oh well if that's what you saw in that then fine - for a young player hiding or being lazy are not attributes I associate with Barry McKay - kinda stunned that anyone has that critique of him. Oh well. 

He's defo not lazy.

He's young, fit and hungry. Don't get me wrong rough round the edges and a bit predictable at the moment - but you think with experience and developing at the same rate he has been then that and his overall decision making improves.

I've no problem with him. I'm happy for the same front 3 to start away to Dundee but that's not in anyway a slur on McKay.

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

It's exactly what I saw in that. I'm sure you'll have some other theory that excuses him avoiding the pass though.

I don't have anything against him, I think he's got the potential to be a great player, he already has an incredible first touch, one of the best at the club IMO but there is times when he tends to just coast through games without ever really doing much and for me he did exactly that on Saturday. He needs to get the practice in on that left foot as well if he wants to be starting on that wing every week. The amount of times he beats his man only to turn back and play the short pass to Lee Wallace is infuriating.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

He's defo not lazy.

He's young, fit and hungry. Don't get me wrong rough round the edges and a bit predictable at the moment - but you think with experience and developing at the same rate he has been then that and his overall decision making improves.

I've no problem with him. I'm happy for the same front 3 to start away to Dundee but that's not in anyway a slur on McKay.

Damm!

i agree - he's not that predictable but I did disagree with eejay who said he hides and lazy! 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

He's defo not lazy.

Oh my! I never thought I would see the day you and BP9 actually agreed on something!! :D

I agree as well. I like Barrie and I think he has the makings of an excellent player. To me he should have had MOTM in at least 3 of our games already this season. 

26 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

It's exactly what I saw in that. I'm sure you'll have some other theory that excuses him avoiding the pass though.

I don't have anything against him, I think he's got the potential to be a great player, he already has an incredible first touch, one of the best at the club IMO but there is times when he tends to just coast through games without ever really doing much and for me he did exactly that on Saturday. He needs to get the practice in on that left foot as well if he wants to be starting on that wing every week. The amount of times he beats his man only to turn back and play the short pass to Lee Wallace is infuriating.

My goodness one possible error or musjudgement and out comes the over analysed crap - you'll be telling us his body language was wrong next! 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

My goodness one possible error or musjudgement and out comes the over analysed crap - you'll be telling us his body language was wrong next! 

Over analysed crap? We were drawing 1-1 with Hamilton with not much time left in the game and one of our players tried to spark an attack through our winger and said winger avoided making the run. That's not an error or misjudgement, that's bottling it.

I'd love to live in your world where none of our players/staff can do anything wrong but here in the real world if I see something that deserves criticism I'll mention it.

19 hours ago, K.A.I said:

And before anyone says "o rly mongo' because it was 5-0, I noticed it early in and game and even at 1-0 - I thought we were a lot more direct tonight.

The more direct approach suits us a lot better,

Are you saying you like your Sports Direct?  You have changed K.A.I you really have. 

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

Are you saying you like your Sports Direct?  You have changed K.A.I you really have. 

No self-appointed wanks and un-official clubs spokesmen will ever tell me where to shop :D

Or official club employees or spokesmen for that matter either. All cunts. To a man.

3 hours ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Over analysed crap? We were drawing 1-1 with Hamilton with not much time left in the game and one of our players tried to spark an attack through our winger and said winger avoided making the run. That's not an error or misjudgement, that's bottling it.

I'd love to live in your world where none of our players/staff can do anything wrong but here in the real world if I see something that deserves criticism I'll mention it.

Id love to live in your world where your so cocky that you can criticise someone for one wrong descision - that someone who is playing at a level you can only dream off! Everyone's perfect when they are critiquing! 

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Id love to live in your world where your so cocky that you can criticise someone for one wrong descision - that someone who is playing at a level you can only dream off! Everyone's perfect when they are critiquing! 

It's not one wrong decision though, it's a regular thing.

Didn't realise you had to be a professional player to have an opinion now. Any chance you can upload a pic of all the medals you've won?

16 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

It's not one wrong decision though, it's a regular thing.

Didn't realise you had to be a professional player to have an opinion now. Any chance you can upload a pic of all the medals you've won?

No medals ( for football anyway) hence why my opinions are positive, supportive and mostly non-critical as these players are doing things I can't. Seems some people think 'watching' football makes them an expert at what's going on.