Why the negativity?

Cam1872

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

We've been playing poorly against some of the worst teams in the league. The defence is shite. We've not been anywhere near clinical enough. Our transfer business hasn't been great. 

Were not doomed but it doesn't exactly make for good expectations.

Transfer hasnt been great?

personally I've been really happy with our dealings apart center back business but I will reserve judgment on senderos until I've seen him play for us!

6 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Negativity is a by product of following a successful club, we're used to winning and should expect to win, so when we don't questions are quite rightly asked , what would you prefer? a hearts or sheep mentality where finishing 3rd is seen as a successful  season? or our mentality where 2nd is complete failure? the start has been nowhere near good enough and I'm not in panic mode just yet, but I'll take honesty over blind faith , I'll get behind the team but will critisise the board, team and management when I think it's warranted. 

Too sensible. Surely just existing is enough? You negative Nancy 

2 minutes ago, Laudrup1690 said:

Transfer hasnt been great?

personally I've been really happy with our dealings apart center back business but I will reserve judgment on senderos until I've seen him play for us!

I'd say about 6.5 out of 10

8 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Negativity is a by product of following a successful club, we're used to winning and should expect to win, so when we don't questions are quite rightly asked , what would you prefer? a hearts or sheep mentality where finishing 3rd is seen as a successful  season? or our mentality where 2nd is complete failure? the start has been nowhere near good enough and I'm not in panic mode just yet, but I'll take honesty over blind faith , I'll get behind the team but will critisise the board, team and management when I think it's warranted. 

No likes left but YAS. This is the kind of thing I've been wanting to see, to often recently on social media I've seen to many fans without a winning mentality and it's made me sick to my stomach! Your post was very refreshing to see, thank you.

In my mind the manager has picked the wrong starting 11 four times now. He has shown no signs of seeing the obvious problems.

We needed tweaks, ie  a good CDM to allow our full backs to advance. We now play with 2 and our whole balance has suffered. 

Our full backs have either been tactically curtailed or are just pish at getting forward.

Our best players last year have started poorly.

We have dropped 4 more points than our biggest challenger yet had arguably an easier start.

A key pairing in Wallace and mckay just haven't clicked so far.

CH was our big weakness. We plugged it with a 37 year old, a boy we got in as part of a swappsie, and senderos who ultimately now has to be our dominant CH or we're fucked at corners and set pieces.

Miller continues in the 9 role whilst being found anywhere bar there when we attack.

Barton appears undroppable and the key cog in our wheel.  Everything to go through him. Which changes our style from last season, and doesn't help that he's had a bang average start to his time here.

Stats say we've had hundreds of chances. Don't think any keeper has really been pounded. 

We only play a good half in any game. We've not played a strong 90 since the semi final.

Some players appear unfit.

That aside, aye fuck all to be bothered about, we'll click our heels and it'll all miraculously fall into place. 

3 hours ago, Cam1872 said:

I get your points... 

Its hardly Ogdenstad upfront and Capucho on the wing though. 

4 points away from where we should be. An international break to bed in new players... 

Im still not convinced its worth all the negative vibes and criticism is a bit OTT. 

Its not impossible that we will beat them on the 10th and the start looks a lot more like it. 

Maybe big Senderos will do an Ehiogu on the tenth.

19 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

But then why do folk moan so much on here - they actively look for the negative and never see a positive 

To quote a well used phrase "you pay's your money". I was a bit surprised to see the extent of criticism of the manager on here but fair play we all have different expectations. I think with our budget and support we are a wee bit further behind than we would like

28 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

That's nonsense. I may not agree with much of the criticism but the team are dropping points, and being Rangers that is going to happen that there will be criticism.

No one minds the odd bit of criticism. - but it's untethered and not balanced with any positives week after week - some seem to actively revel in it. 

2 minutes ago, yoggiebear said:

To quote a well used phrase "you pay's your money". I was a bit surprised to see the extent of criticism of the manager on here but fair play we all have different expectations. I think with our budget and support we are a wee bit further behind than we would like

There are a number of very active posters on here that start thread after thread of negativity - I get that fans like the odd moan but they also enjoy it - but the enjoyment is oft missed in the moaning 

I agree it's too early to judge and the team will naturally take time to gel. However up until today we've been relying on the same CHs as first choice and they've proven over a whole year that they run hot and cold and are not consistent enough to win a league campaign. Senderos may fix that, time will tell.

My other main concern is we've changed the way we play and are sitting much deeper not pressing as high and have been far too conservative against 3 wee teams. We ran Dundee ragged last year, so why change the way we play this term. We're sitting much deeper, not pressing as high and playing more speculative balls in behind. Our high line, pressing, high temp possession game worked for us last year and made the current Scottish Champions look like the lesser team. The signings of a quality holding MF was meant to be the answer to us being exposed when we constantly overloaded the oppositions half. Why change the style that was working and was meant to be Warburton's signature 'Plan A'? 

3 hours ago, Cam1872 said:

A few games into the season and I do agree with the sentiment that we arent exactly fully motoring. 

Compare that to our last 5-6 starts of an SPL season and its hardly scope for the level of pessimism shown by some of us? 

We have started worse and won the league. We have started better and lost the league but yet a growing majority seem to feel we are doomed. 

I just don't get it.  I get we have high standards that havent been met, seems a bit premature though to talk like we wont meet them.. 

Mckay getting stick 

Warburton getting stick

Waghorn can go if he wants

Senderos is hopeless

Started the season unbeaten 

Moaning about folk moaning isnt productive I know. I just cant see why folk have such a pessimistic standpoint on the season so far? 

Allow me to attempt to clarify what's happening;

• We were told from the end of last season to the start of this one that we were "extra prepared by getting our transfers done early", the reality however, is that we started the season unfit and unready struggling in all of our league games, dropped more points against the bottom 6 than we'll gain by BEATING celtic. We have started the season with exactly the same problems that were there for the vast majority of last season.
  • Mr King and his supporters promised serious personal investment by him to 'take us back to where we belong', 10's of millions promised and instead what we've signed is players generally who either haven't played above League 1 in England or who have failed to cut it above that level (alternatively there are those who are past being able to play at that level).
  • 'High standards not being met'? You mean high standards like beating Hamilton at home on our return to the top flight on a day that was meant to be our message of intent?  like beating 10 man Killie? like not having to huff and puff past Motherwell and Dundee? Like not going 1 down to 3 out of 4 teams? Like starting the season with the CB we knew we needed almost immediately into the Championship season? It's not that we're premature in talking like we won't meet them, it's that we've bit our tongue on not actually meeting them and now people are saying what they think without fear of being shot down by the 'we've got our club back and everything is tip top' brigade. I'm not saying that some of the criticism isn't over the top but a lot of the criticism is justified and has been for a period of time that it could have been addressed having received no comment by the support.
  • Player criticism is generally wrong this season imo because the manager should be taking it instead imo.
  • Warburton criticism is justified and I hope for his sake he catches a grip pronto because he's making a Le Guen of this.
  • King is trying to do a Fergus McCann i.e. investing/spending fuck all while selling it as 'going for it' with the intent of banking money and spending it when he has to. Then trying to do a David Murray of spending someone else's money later and taking the credit for it (my opinion and I hope to be proven wrong but that's how I see it).
  • Started the season unbeaten? Are you honestly trying to sell that as a success? We've just played the dross and dropped points in 50% of the games, 1 at home and 1 against 10 men. Our 2 wins were hard work and if not for Misfiring Miller grabbing a goal in the death against Motherwell we'd have 1 win to our name from 4.

We've shopped in an over inflated market where genuine talent/ability is thin on the ground and apparently out of our price range, the investment hasn't materialised and the management is either getting it wrong or they've failed to address longstanding problems that were evident in the Championship - that isn't people being pessimistic, that's people taking off the blue-tinted specs of 'We're going for 55' because in truth on what we've seen so far we simply aren't this season.

Just for the record I have had the feeling from the start of the league that we've been playing deliberately badly because imo the pieces are there and the ability is there to have ripped the 4 opening games apart like a fucking chicken wing BUT having dropped points in 2 of those games and narrowly avoided doing so against Motherwell it's starting to look like the manager is out of his depth at present. Now if we make the right changes I have no doubt we could at least give them a game and secure 2nd with relative ease but that isn't what was sold to a lot of people (in their eyes at least) and anything less than taking the title will be seen as a betrayal to them I think.

Just lastly you question pessimism but it isn't, it's saying what we are seeing in reality for at least 4 months. If we are questioning anything surely it's got to be the optimism that we're going to take the title from them with a manager that seemingly is very one dimensional/unable to address issues and a playing squad where 'cheap' has seemingly been the ruling factor in their signature rather than 'are they better than what the tims have?'. I don't think we should question either for the record - I think we should avoid setting ourselves up for a humiliating fall (i.e. not talking ourselves up beyond what we see before us) and working/supporting towards achieving the goal (winning everything as soon as possible). 

Just now, Bluepeter9 said:

No one minds the odd bit of criticism. - but it's untethered and not balanced with any positives week after week - some seem to actively revel in it. 

You wore the badge of honour of failing to criticise mccoist, you defended him to the hilt.

Your positive approach towards him was unbalanced. 

If anyone thinks the points we've gained, and dropped, the way we've played, the lack of cohesion etc is acceptable the fair dos.

I sure hell don't. 

This board is as thickle as it gets you would think we were all posting on The Bi Polar Support UK Forum! if we beat Celtic or if we win about 3 or 4 games in a row convincingly then the mood will completely change our players will be superstars and we will have the future England manager once again. Just look at Tavernier if you were to ask this forum at the end of last season about him and the majority would tell you that he is completely pish and needing replaced but now after a good start to the season both at the back and in attack, he is our best player again and the strong point in the defence while it's Wallace who is needing replaced. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Rob Kiernan was a fans favorite by the end of the season ffs.

It's pathetic to be honest, there is no denying we have had a very poor start the players overall just haven't performed, our pressing, quick passing play hasn't been there at all and the manager has made a few bad selections. HOWEVER it's fucking three games into the season ffs get some perspective players are bound to go through bad spells it just so happens we are having one at the start of the season. Sure we should demand improvement especially considering who we are playing next but the over reaction on here is ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

You wore the badge of honour of failing to criticise mccoist, you defended him to the hilt.

Your positive approach towards him was unbalanced. 

If anyone thinks the points we've gained, and dropped, the way we've played, the lack of cohesion etc is acceptable the fair dos.

I sure hell don't. 

As I said - kinda proves my point - no balance or positives - just a focus on the negatives. 

10 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Yeah, but you are trying to rationalise something that can be totally irrational. Football is romance, with all the passion of romance! If we win next week there will be delirium and we will be the best ever. It's the nature of the sport, not exclusive to Rangers; most fans react to defeat and victory in the same way. It's what makes football what it is.

12 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Yeah, but you are trying to rationalise something that can be totally irrational. Football is romance, with all the passion of romance! If we win next week there will be delirium and we will be the best ever. It's the nature of the sport, not exclusive to Rangers; most fans react to defeat and victory in the same way. It's what makes football what it is.

Aye I agree with that - but in here, after the heat of the game - the focus is still on the negative. Even after a win folk are moaning about this and that 

I feel we will pick up form once Holt and Windass get fit . We need some of the midfielders to get beyond the forwards for things to click . We have a stronger squad than last season but I would agree that a lot rests on the CBs being good enough . I just hope they produce the goods . 

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Aye I agree with that - but in here, after the heat of the game - the focus is still on the negative. Even after a win folk are moaning about this and that 

Most posters are not like that at all though. However, so long as this club is either challenging for first, or trying to maintain first, that will never change really.

We had so much optimism coming in to this season, everyone was buzzing for it, just look at the season ticket sales. Further fuel on the fire of optimism with bringing in players like Rossiter, Barton and Krancjar; though most on here were worried that the CH position had not been rectified. We're then presented with Hill and now Senderos (really??).

Anyways, when the fixtures came out, they were probably the kindest we could've possibly have got and most hoped for 12/12 going in to the mhanks game. Despite it being 8, if we'd played really well and just not taken chances, etc. then we'd still have some of that optimism. However, let's face reality, we've been poor, really poor apart from the first half against Dundee. Even then, we could've dropped points to them and stole a win against Motherwell. It's far removed from 12months ago. Yes, lower league but we'd have wiped the floor with Hamilton, etc. playing the football we did last year. These performances have been served to us for 6months now (cup semi apart) and the usual sound bytes after games are not being accepted any more. For the first time, MW will be feeling pressure to halt these awful performances.

Its the performances against poor opposition that's eroded the optimism, not the 8pts. We look completely unprepared for the septic game and business hasn't been done early like management suggested they were going to and team selection has affected the whole balance of the team. It's not directly comparable with McCoist's last season but a poor start just seen us stumble from one shambles to the next before we were so far off the pace to Hearts that the same could quickly happen here. Worst case, we could find ourselves essentially 7pts behind the scum after just 5 games!  That again is unacceptable with games away to Hearts and the sheep to come. 

As things stand I'll be pleased with a top four finish.  What we're seeing now is just a continuation of last season and I'm tempted to think MW isn't as good as we first thought.  As for Barton, anyone else would've been dropped after two games.   I didn't want him and still don't, in fact it's been embarrassing seeing the way some of the support have been creaming themselves about a player who was once loosely on the fringe of the international scene but who otherwise is no better than dozens of other players down south.  Maybe he thought Rangers would be an easier ride than Burnley in the EPL.

And no I'm not in a panic but blind faith isn't going to work.