Who is to blame?

thehost

41 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

What do you mean by investment strategies? It's sounds good, but narrow it down and what do you mean? Get specific about where you think about that? Yes, you're suggesting that I enlighten you, but you are the one using these phrases that mean nothing in particular. What do mean when you say that our board lack an investment strategy on so on? Be specific.

You are the one saying it's nonsense.

He is our leader. He is a company officer. We are a big club. He made the promises, so where is the plan? Thus far all I have witnessed is rhetoric, loans, courts and litigation and the footballing authorities poking us up the erse. We have a half decent manager with one hand tied behind his back in that funding does not match expectations.

The business model in football is driven by success. You win titles, you get punters through the doors, atrract investment and sponsorship that commands a premium for doing so. Our football landscape is quite unique, where only two teams in reality can compete. Those same two teams due to heritage and culture differences add a bitterness, in that both find it totally unacceptable to be second to the other.

The scum are the benchmark. They have just upped the anti, apointing BR, spending and bringing in quality. They have just added a £30 mil windfall to their pot that we don't have. They are way out in front in terms of revenue streams, in ST sales, sponsorship,  in kit sales, friendly tournaments,, CL and so on.

Our largest source of income by a country mile is ST sales and little else. Oh, and I forgot about the loans we need to keep afloat. Do we know if we have enough cash to see us through to the end of the season? That isn't just a gap, it's a finacial chasm wider than the Clyde and a significant risk that needs to be mitigated.

However, we do have a vision, an aspiration, an expectation to overtake them, unless there is another I'm unaware of. So exactly what and where is that plan? We won't do it just by magic, as that particular hat has just fell off. Serious investment is needed to secure players of quality by which you can compete in mounting that challenge. You see our board is not so flush with cash to say the least, so how do we fund it to give us a fighting chance? That is for the board in this business and any other to fullfil that duty. What are the plans and strategies for creating wealth in generating renenue streams to enable us to mount that challenge?

We have literally lurched from loan to loan, with the recent injection of ST money giving us a cushion for the time being, but where is the quality of player that we need to overtake them? Just look at our central defence! If there is indeed a seroius will by this board to overtake them, then we appear seriously devoid of both ideas and revenue.

The football business is no different from any other. No strategy, no success and you are an also ran or even worse! What is clear, this club cannot be run on a shoe string if we have any aspiration to overtake them, far less live of loans for cash flow.

In business, denial is the first step to ruination.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2005 Helicopter Sunday they were 5 points clear with 4 games to go.

2008-2009 season we trailed Celtic by 7 points in January, we won the league on the last game of the season vs. Dundee U.

2009-2010 season we started with 3 wins then 3 draws, beat Celtic, drew against St Johnstone, Hibs, got beat by the sheep but were 10 points clear by February and won the league at a canter.

3 examples of why any panic now is ridiculously premature. No Surrender.

13 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

You are the one saying it's nonsense.

He is our leader. He is a company officer. We are a big club. He made the promises, so where is the plan? Thus far all I have witnessed is rhetoric, loans, courts and litigation and the footballing authorities poking us up the erse. We have a half decent manager with one hand tied behind his back in that funding does not match expectations.

The business model in football is driven by success. You win titles, you get punters through the doors, atrract investment and sponsorship that commands a premium for doing so. Our football landscape is quite unique, where only two teams in reality can compete. Those same two teams due to heritage and culture differences add a bitterness, in that both find it totally unacceptable to be second to the other.

The scum are the benchmark. They have just upped the anti, apointing BR, spending and bringing in quality. They have just added a £30 mil windfall to their pot that we don't have. They are way out in front in terms of revenue streams, in ST sales, sponsorship,  in kit sales, friendly tournaments,, CL and so on.

Our largest source of income by a country mile is ST sales and little else. Oh, and I forgot about the loans we need to keep afloat. Do we know if we have enough cash to see us through to the end of the season? That isn't just a gap, it's a finacial chasm wider than the Clyde and a significant risk that needs to be mitigated.

However, we do have a vision, an aspiration, an expectation to overtake them, unless there is another I'm unaware of. So exactly what and where is that plan? We won't do it just by magic, as that particular hat has just fell off. Serious investment is needed to secure players of quality by which you can compete in mounting that challenge. You see our board is not so flush with cash to say the least, so how do we fund it to give us a fighting chance? That is for the board in this business and any other to fullfil that duty. What are the plans and strategies for creating wealth in generating renenue streams to enable us to mount that challenge?

We have literally lurched from loan to loan, with the recent injection of ST money giving us a cushion for the time being, but where is the quality of player that we need to overtake them? Just look at our central defence! If there is indeed a seroius will by this board to overtake them, then we appear seriously devoid of both ideas and revenue.

The football business is no different from any other. No strategy, no success and you are an also ran or even worse! What is clear, this club cannot be run on a shoe string if we have any aspiration to overtake them, far less live of loans for cash flow.

In business, denial is the first step to ruination.

That is good post on the whole, and it is very hard for me to disagree with the first few paragraphs in particular. In terms of investment strategy borrowing to generate working capital, for instance, is quite common, whether on a micro or a macro level; most companies do that, particularly new companies, or companies that want to expand in the long term but need a short term fix. You're post only highlights why I have sympathy for those that are running the club, and as you acknowledge 'our football landscape is unique'. I'm convinced, and I say that as someone not particularly a fan of Dave King, that we are putting efforts into what we do off the field, and on the field to make us much more competitive in the future; but it will take time. We have obstacles in our way, that are sourced in terms of finance, and also mostly outwith our own control; we are not alone in that respect, but our own unique obstacles are particularly difficult.

The OP could perhaps be described as being overly pessimistic given it's so early in the season, but considering how poor the product on the field has actually been it's forgivable and he does make some good points.

Dave King promised us millions upon millions of pounds from his personal coffers, so far all we seem to have received from him is a couple of moths and a Victorian Penny.

Paul Murray, King's lap dog bumped his gums about finishing second to THEM for a number of seasons. For me that man has no place at Ibrox.

Signing Clint Hill and Joey Barton based on their performances so far seems to be a step backwards toward the Ally McCoist big book of transfer targets.

We are all Rangers fans and we should all want the team to be competing for the league and for us to have dropped four points against the teams we've faced is unacceptable given we face the scum at their shitehole far too soon.

9 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

They will of course drop points, especially after European games. Their defence is almost as bad as ours. However as embarrassing their qualification exploits have been their league results, if not performances have been ominous IMO given the opposition especially when coupled with our poor form, apparent style change and frankly ludicrous team selection in what should have been an easy start...it's very worrying at this early stage...yes. 

We beat them on the 10th and we're 2 clear having played a game more. Theres a lot of games to go and I'll not start worrying for a good while yet. I've not watched any of their games this season but looking at the results, they needed a late goal to beat hearts, got two late goals against Aberdeen to make the score line look far worse, and scored a late goal against St. Johnstone to give them a cushion. Doesn't sound particularly ominous tbh. They've also struggled in the CL and will struggle after likely taking 6 pumping a out of 6 in the groups.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

We beat them on the 10th and we're 2 clear having played a game more. Theres a lot of games to go and I'll not start worrying for a good while yet. I've not watched any of their games this season but looking at the results, they needed a late goal to beat hearts, got two late goals against Aberdeen to make the score line look far worse, and scored a late goal against St. Johnstone to give them a cushion. Doesn't sound particularly ominous tbh. They've also struggled in the CL and will struggle after likely taking 6 pumping a out of 6 in the groups.

It's amazing how unambiguous football appears to be at times, whereas the reality says something far different; as you rightly point out,

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Honestly yes, and it pains me to say it. 

You're much more confident in Celtic's abilities than a lot of Celtic fans. If they're good enough to lose a CL game to a team from Gibraltar (which has a lower population than Falkirk) then they're good enough to lose to any side in the Premiership. 

2 hours ago, sammy cox said:

The same shareholders who voted DK onto the board can also IF they have enough voting power and IF they think he is not doing a good job of running the finances of the club vote him off.Thats two big IFs that the shareholders will have to decide.It does not solve the problem of incomings v outgoings whether DK or any other board member are there or not.Once again I say we do not have some Rangers mad billionaire wanting to throw his millions into Rangers as some wish and the sooner some get this into their heads the better.It is going to take a lot of very hard work by all involved and a great deal of long term patience by all involved including the fans.If this is not for you then perhaps you should think of something else to do with your time on a Saturday afternoon as no doubt will be the case for some IF the club don't win the league at the first time back.

Here don't try and tell me what to do way my time on a Saturday afternoon I'll support the team all the time but not the board so perhaps u should keep ur opinions to urself and if ppl don't want to come back next year if we don't win the league then that's up to them. If DK wasn't such a lying cunt then maybe ppl would be patient but he did promise all this money, he obviously thinks the Rangers support are stupid. The shareholders who voted this eejit on to the board are all his pals so they are hardly going to vote him off.  How anybody can be behind this guy after the SC final is beyond me, nothing but a crook imo. 

1 hour ago, OhW said:

Obviously, what's your point? That's like saying "if we weren't shite people wouldn't be moaning"

Try reading it in the context of the whole post, not one sentence.

The point being, the manager is as much if not more to blame for that, as my post said. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Scoring late goals to win their what will be some of their most difficult games is a sign of championship winning mentality. IMO it's ominous due to our form and apparent style change. We shouldn't need to beat them at paedodome to claw back points dropped to teams who should be cannon fodder, we're labouring badly and it's down to team selection.

Also you would have to assume, not sure if the fixtures are symmetric across the season, that as we had an easy start we will have a difficult finish. Will we not play Hearts and Aberdeen in the final few games of the season? Whereas it will be the opposite for them.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You're much more confident in Celtic's abilities than a lot of Celtic fans. If they're good enough to lose a CL game to a team from Gibraltar (which has a lower population than Falkirk) then they're good enough to lose to any side in the Premiership. 

I agree, but the same argument we are using to explain our early season form can be used for them as well. 

Time will tell and hopefully I'm spectacularly wrong. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's amazing how unambiguous football appears to be at times, whereas the reality says something far different; as you rightly point out,

I can't help think people have been distracted a bit by names and are giving them far more credit than is due. Despite our poor start to the season, we aren't a million miles away. A few tweaks to our play, and key players getting up to full fitness (Barton, Holt, Niko, Waggy) should see us find our rhythm and start playing with much more intensity and intent. As much as we've huffed and puffed out way through league games there's not one I can say I've came away from thinking we were lucky to snatch a point (or the win) we are dominating games but aren't doing enough in the final third to make it count. Even as 'shite' as our defence is, no-one has managed to out score us (or even score 2)

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We have scored late goals too m8, I remember years ago the scum won titles scoring late goals, famous for it, it's not when you score it's about winning.

I'll be happy to score a late winning goal in every game if it wins us the league

4 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Scoring late goals to win their what will be some of their most difficult games is a sign of championship winning mentality. IMO it's ominous due to our form and apparent style change. We shouldn't need to beat them at paedodome to claw back points dropped to teams who should be cannon fodder, we're labouring badly and it's down to team selection.

Also you would have to assume, not sure if the fixtures are symmetric across the season, that as we had an easy start we will have a difficult finish. Will we not play Hearts and Aberdeen in the final few games of the season? Whereas it will be the opposite for them.

Points will always be dropped, by both sides, to those teams and the OF will always be about clawing back points/stretching a lead. There's few I can think of where we've both went into the opening OF with matching 100% records. 

No. We'll have the split. We'll both be playing top-six sides. 

53 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

You are right mr Sunshine . You could almost be Mini Murray himself :dry:

Oh, it's obvious you hate him too.  It's never going to alter the fact it precludes objectivity.

Guaranteed if the board was headed up by someone else, and we were heading in the same direction as we are right now with all the hurdles that's been stuck in front of us (and will still be there for a wee while), your tune would be very different.

3 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

And what if this club will live with in its means, where even any debt will be a debt we can cope with; and that we will leverage our finances on proper financial principles. Would you have it any other way OP? Would you rather we spend beyond our means? This shouldn't be about individual investors particularly, football has moved on and left us behind, and so we will have to do it the hard way, with a longer term perspective. A Championship player was sold for £30 million, think about that for a moment, and what it means for us; £1.1+ billion was spent on this transfer market, and Derby County spent £4 million yesterday and another Championship club spent £12 million on a striker earlier in the Window. We have to focus on Auchenhowie in order to bring on young players, and we have to fulfill the potential of our first team through good coaching. We have to be more pragmatic, because we cannot really compete in the transfer market to any great extent.

Transfer market has ballooned in recent years 

20yrs ago when TV cash was minimal worldwide we could compete with top English sides for players ,now we have to scurry around looking for bargains in an evermore competitive market

Not only has England,italy ,germany and Spain vastly overtaken with our budget even with their 2nd teir systems ,countries like turkey,qatar,usa,greece,russia,china ,etc have gained cash that we can only dream of ,

Who's more to blame than our board or any board we have had in living memory are the idiots who run our game,the ones that have undersold our game to the media,we have a fixture in Scotland that is as marketable as any worldwide

The Scottish cup semi at the time was the 2nd highest viewed live sporting event on the planet ,picked up by broadcasters for under 100k,compare that to an epl match between Stoke and Watford which attracts multiple millions in cash,and receives a fraction of the viewers tells us a lot about the people selling our game to foreign markets 

I'm not saying that we deserve the billion pound plus TV deal that epl gets but our product should be getting far far more that it currently gets 

3 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

We have scored late goals too m8, I remember years ago the scum won titles scoring late goals, famous for it, it's not when you score it's about winning.

I'll be happy to score a late winning goal in every game if it wins us the league

And we're FOUR games into the season. They are 3 in. It's not rare that we drop points at the start of the season, improve and then go on to win the title. 

6 minutes ago, bluewhitevanman said:

Here don't try and tell me what to do way my time on a Saturday afternoon I'll support the team all the time but not the board so perhaps u should keep ur opinions to urself and if ppl don't want to come back next year if we don't win the league then that's up to them. If DK wasn't such a lying cunt then maybe ppl would be patient but he did promise all this money, he obviously thinks the Rangers support are stupid. The shareholders who voted this eejit on to the board are all his pals so they are hardly going to vote him off.  How anybody can be behind this guy after the SC final is beyond me, nothing but a crook imo. 

Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.If you don't like mine that's up to you but to say DK was appointed to the board by all his pals really.Do you think his pals will still be his pals if they see their investment going down the drain pronto.Every shareholder has a vote and I am pretty sure every shareholder is not one of DKs pals.If his pals think/thought that he wasn't the man for the job they wouldn't have welcomed him back pal or not.If his pals think he is making a rip roaring cunt of things I am pretty sure they will let DK know in no uncertain terms don't you.

2 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Transfer market has ballooned in recent years 

20yrs ago when TV cash was minimal worldwide we could compete with top English sides for players ,now we have to scurry around looking for bargains in an evermore competitive market

Not only has England,italy ,germany and Spain vastly overtaken with our budget even with their 2nd teir systems ,countries like turkey,qatar,usa,greece,russia,china ,etc have gained cash that we can only dream of ,

Who's more to blame than our board or any board we have had in living memory are the idiots who run our game,the ones that have undersold our game to the media,we have a fixture in Scotland that is as marketable as any worldwide

The Scottish cup semi at the time was the 2nd highest viewed live sporting event on the planet ,picked up by broadcasters for under 100k,compare that to an epl match between Stoke and Watford which attracts multiple millions in cash,and receives a fraction of the viewers tells us a lot about the people selling our game to foreign markets 

I'm not saying that we deserve the billion pound plus TV deal that epl gets but our product should be getting far far more that it currently gets 

Great post. (tu)

3 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Oh, it's obvious you hate him too.  It's never going to alter the fact it precludes objectivity.

Guaranteed if the board was headed up by someone else, and we were heading in the same direction as we are right now with all the hurdles that's been stuck in front of us (and will still be there for a wee while), your tune would be very different.

Possibly but that's what makes football so brilliant .It's all about having different opinions and Host talks more sense than any of the yes men on here for me .

Come next weekend ,when I take my place at the Scumdome .I will be as Positive as the best of you .

There's definitely things to be concerned about, people saying we're 2nd, only drawn a couple of games, everything is ok etc are downplaying our bad performances which goes back into the end of last season as well

In saying that the transfer window is shut for four months now so rather than constantly complaining about what we should have done best thing we can do is get behind what we have and hope for the best