2 August 1989 St Mirren H 0–1 39,951 L

19 August 1989 Hibernian A 0–2 22,500 L

26 August 1989 Celtic A 1–1 54,000 Butcher D

9 September 1989 Aberdeen H 1–0 40,283 Johnston W

16 September 1989 Dundee H 2–2 35,836 McCoist (2) D

23 September 1989 Dunfermline Athletic A 1–1 17,765 McCoist D

30 September 1989 Heart of Midlothian H 1–0 39,554 Johnston W

3 October 1989 Motherwell A 0–1 17,667 L

After this things picked up dramatically and we only were beaten a further two times in the remaining fixtures, winning 18 of them. I still remember being at Ibrox for the 2-2 with Dundee and the 1-0 v Hearts from the fixtures above.

Fucking hell, what was the feeling like back then? 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Rangers won the league at a canter in the season they refer to, the point you could reasonably take from this story is that there is along way to go and you would be fool to write us of this early, even after  a dodgy start to the season.

Of course, that point would be lost on the DR in their obvious attempt to shit stir.

4 hours ago, King Jela said:

I don't recall any great feeling of panic , but it was different days then . No transfer window , We had money available so the prospect of further signings to improve the squad was always there .Not sure we changed much but the team just hit a great run of form while the rest of the league was much alike and all capable of taking points from each other . Also no social media then so not the same , as any discontent was slower to spread .

19 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

Honestly mate,  you get what you pay for, it comes down to money in this day and age. weve got a few decent signings for free but King should have gave him money for a few decent defenders. 

Where's the 30million. Ffs four million would get us two great defenders but we got senderos on a free and hill 

Anyone that still thinks we have a chance to win the league needs serious help. We will struggle against every team in this league imo.  They strolled through us.  I worry about us this season and honestly believe third or fourth is our best we can get.  I'd be happy clearly if we done better but last time we played well was back in April ffs 

10 hours ago, MaddistonKnight said:

This is pish.

What actually is the start of a season?

5 games? A bit fucking arbitrary if you ask me - why not 4, or 6? Total and utter pish, and your all fucking lapping it up. 

? what matters is where we are at the end of the season and even the season after this 

3 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Warburton might wear a magic hat, but even that isn't going to make a £3-£4m squad competitive.

We need a minimum of four or five signings of genuine quality. Over to you, Mr "I'll invest what's needed" Dave King.

that's great, the only problem is the transfer window is closed and those of us who were peddling your message, three months ago were castigated on this very forum!

1 minute ago, thehost said:

the levels you will plumb to excuse is beyond cringe-worthy

get off your knees man

I'm only on my knees to stoop to your level - in fact I probably need to go lower.

'loyalty' 'no surrender' used to be what we were about now we seem to be supported by ( or RM has) a good number of panic merchants that think supporting is all about looking at the negatives and whinging and whining and getting on at the team and players! 

We used to revel in laughing at their paranoia now we try to outdo them in that field - when we hit tough times on the park we used to roar out 'no surrender' now we look to boo and heckle till we are winning! 

Why don't You get off the ground and stand proud for the club - like I hoped you used to, instead of being cheerleader for the negativity brigade! 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I'm only on my knees to stoop to your level - in fact I probably need to go lower.

'loyalty' 'no surrender' used to be what we were about now we seem to be supported by ( or RM has) a good number of panic merchants that think supporting is all about looking at the negatives and whinging and whining and getting on at the team and players! 

We used to revel in laughing at their paranoia now we try to outdo them in that field - when we hit tough times on the park we used to roar out 'no surrender' now we look to boo and heckle till we are winning! 

Why don't You get off the ground and stand proud for the club - like I hoped you used to, instead of being cheerleader for the negativity brigade! 

your inability to ignore reality does not make you some form of uber-staunch fan it merely highlights your desire to meekly sup whatever you are served

the board are a fucking shambles and the teams results are unacceptable

12 hours ago, King Jela said:

No-one was panicking too much as Rangers seemed to be notoriously slow starters and Souness and his indefatigable confidence still had everyone believing it would be turned round... Plus many fans were just happy to be watching some real quality on the park after so long in the doldrums of finishing fourth and fifth, with only Davie Cooper as a shining light amongst the mediocrity.

Nobody at all had yet dared to dream about NIAR as, after Souness' inaugural season triumph, the Tims had fluked their centenary year title. It was duly turned around, Celtic went into freefall, Aberdeen became our closest challengers for a few years... And the rest, as they say, is history.

57 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

No-one was panicking too much as Rangers seemed to be notoriously slow starters and Souness and his indefatigable confidence still had everyone believing it would be turned round... Plus many fans were just happy to be watching some real quality on the park after so long in the doldrums of finishing fourth and fifth, with only Davie Cooper as a shining light amongst the mediocrity.

Nobody at all had yet dared to dream about NIAR as, after Souness' inaugural season triumph, the Tims had fluked their centenary year title. It was duly turned around, Celtic went into freefall, Aberdeen became our closest challengers for a few years... And the rest, as they say, is history.

As you say mate , 9IAR was just a dream back then and IMO most younger Bears could still remember the barren years pre Souness while older guys recalled the years before big Jock's treble teams , so most of us were glad to be still challenging for the title by easter . Maybe we were easier pleased then .

The football itself was a lot more enjoyable then , and apart from Spackman replacing Wilkins in midfield and Brown returning from injury , The team that went on the good run and clinched the title was not much different from the side that struggled for consistency up till October .

2 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

As you say mate , 9IAR was just a dream back then and IMO most younger Bears could still remember the barren years pre Souness while older guys recalled the years before big Jock's treble teams , so most of us were glad to be still challenging for the title by easter . Maybe we were easier pleased then .

The football itself was a lot more enjoyable then , and apart from Spackman replacing Wilkins in midfield and Brown returning from injury , The team that went on the good run and clinched the title was not much different from the side that struggled for consistency up till October .

The only surprise is that Bomber waited until his injury cleared up before returning. He would usually just play on regardless, the mad bastard. Imagine players these days playing through the pain barrier to the extent Brown did... No, neither can I.

Especially at the tail-end of the very next season when we had half a team and Souness left with four games to go and Aberdeen ahead of us in the league. Brown was the kind of guy who would have told you on the battlefield: 'If you get hurt, hurt them back harder. If you get killed, walk it off.'

Probably also tells you how much respect that Walter commanded behind the scenes as, when he took over as manager, the commitment levels didn't drop; quite the opposite in fact.