Do you ever forget (to remember) how good some players were?

4 hours ago, K.A.I said:

No not really. I always remember a good player or appreciate an under-rated one (even years later)

What I don't do that everyone else seem's to do is fondly look back at seriously average players and think they were great or got legendary status as time has passed - Papac, Hemdani, Edu, Watterus, B Ferguson (after 2003 when he left), Alex Rae, Marvin Andrews etc were all really over-rated/average players that seem to held in right high regard for some reason. None of them except Marvin Andrews would get in this team just now IMO or shouldn't and that's saying something.

Can sense an incoming tidal wave to some of they names I mentioned, but it's just my opinion only.

My God. Alex Rae makes joey Barton look like makelele and even at the time I couldn't stand wattereus in goals for us, I thought he was a really weak link in our team

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, loyalfollower said:

My God. Alex Rae makes joey Barton look like makelele and even at the time I couldn't stand wattereus in goals for us, I thought he was a really weak link in our team

Joey Barton has no future with us and couldn't fit into our system but he still showed more than Alex Rae ever did for us. What did Rae ever do apart from kick that Russian cunt in the heed? .. I said at the first league game of the season at Parkhead when Lennon bossed him that he would do fuck-all for us.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Joey Barton has no future with us and couldn't fit into our system but he still showed more than Alex Rae ever did for us. What did Rae ever do apart from kick that Russian cunt in the heed? .. I said at the first league game of the season at Parkhead when Lennon bossed him that he would do fuck-all for us.

Alex Rae was a dreadful player, cannot believe anyone would argue otherwise.

4 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Each to their own - I just didn't see it.

People always had a go at Whittaker but as many goals came from him sleeping on his side at left back too.

I remember him playing a few games at center half and I think layed as part of a back 3thst at Old Trafford and was good but other times I seen him there he looked way out his depth. Like Broadfoot who was also a center half by trade.

Don't get me wrong for 600k overall he did us a turn. I'm not saying he was a bad player for us - just really over-rated/legendary status.

Papac was a pish poor CB , the same  as Svensonn and on a par with the 4 in todays squad , no better . He done well to stick around and find a spot in the team at left back but was fortunate that his only competition Stevie Smith was made of chocolate . Davie Robertson , Numan & Munro were all superior left backs .

As a support , we've been lucky to see so many top class players and also quite a few who were no better than average but at the end of the day when they pull on our shirt they all deserve our support . We can be a fickle lot sometimes though and gloss over some players faults while highlighting others , always has been like that  for as long as I remember .

My 13 year old loves watching the old clips of games and listening to stories about Laudrup ,Gascoigne , McCoist, etc and he realises that todays squad can't compere but he loves them nonetheless just because it's Rangers . I must admit I sometimes get as much enjoyment out of his reactions at games as I do with what the team do . Each generation has their own heroes and memories .

1 minute ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Papac was a pish poor CB , the same  as Svensonn and on a par with the 4 in todays squad , no better . He done well to stick around and find a spot in the team at left back but was fortunate that his only competition Stevie Smith was made of chocolate . Davie Robertson , Numan & Munro were all superior left backs .

As a support , we've been lucky to see so many top class players and also quite a few who were no better than average but at the end of the day when they pull on our shirt they all deserve our support . We can be a fickle lot sometimes though and gloss over some players faults while highlighting others , always has been like that  for as long as I remember .

My 13 year old loves watching the old clips of games and listening to stories about Laudrup ,Gascoigne , McCoist, etc and he realises that todays squad can't compere but he loves them nonetheless just because it's Rangers . I must admit I sometimes get as much enjoyment out of his reactions at games as I do with what the team do . Each generation has their own heroes and memories .

Good post mate

9 minutes ago, pollok-bear said:

Davie Robertson for me.

Another one for me is Arveladze. What a fucking player he was if he we had anything like him now in our team he would run riot.

Arveladze is a great shout. Really under-rated. I remember when we signed him from Ajax and people wondered who but I'd seen him play before (one of the few I actually have - and knew we'd a good player)

In many ways he reminds me of Waghorn just now. A very, very neat finisher on his day. Not fully appreciated by fans but if he's not in the team or goes fans will go "remember Waghorn/Arverladze he was great" eh naw ya nobs - you's said he was pish while he was here and yet worshipped some utter inferior shite instead thinking they were great instead.

Okay here is my own personal "people forget how good he was player"/

Came back from not one but TWO broken legs.

One of the finest passers of a ball ever to wear a Rangers jersey.

Equally at home playing behind the defense, as a sweeper, or at left half.

Proud owner of a ECWC medal and was a major factor in us beating Moscow Dynamo.

Still attends most home matches.

Ladies and gents, boys and girls I give you Dave Smith who'd be worth millions in today's market.  

16 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Arveladze is a great shout. Really under-rated. I remember when we signed him from Ajax and people wondered who but I'd seen him play before (one of the few I actually have - and knew we'd a good player)

In  many ways he reminds me of Waghorn just now. A very, very neat finisher on his day. Not fully appreciated by fans but if he's not in the team or goes fans will go "remember Waghorn/Arverladze he was great" eh naw ya nobs - you's said he was pish while he was here and yet worshipped some utter inferior shite instead thinking they were great instead.

Shota had a great goals to games ratio I'm sure , all the more so considering how many games he played out of position out on the left wing ! Not the first that we done that with and probably not the last ( Waghorn & Miller )  Big Miko was  another who was played out there , A big lazy cunt at times but a wonderful talent on the ball . Never a left winger in a million years though . As you say , sometimes we don't realize what we have till their gone . Certain players always seem to get a bit more leeway than others regarding fan worship .

Every generation throws a hero up the pop charts.  

After the usual pish reactions to my original posting, there was some sensible postings.  Jimmy Millar and Davie Wilson were my faves as a young fan but my fave player of all time was one Colin Jackson.  I know, I know, people think he was slow or limited in skill but he gave every ounce for the jersey.  That's good enough for me.  At a time when we sorely need a similar mentality.  

On 06/10/2016 at 5:32 PM, K.A.I said:

No not really. I always remember a good player or appreciate an under-rated one (even years later)

What I don't do that everyone else seem's to do is fondly look back at seriously average players and think they were great or got legendary status as time has passed - Papac, Hemdani, Edu, Watterus, B Ferguson (after 2003 when he left), Alex Rae, Marvin Andrews etc were all really over-rated/average players that seem to held in right high regard for some reason. None of them except Marvin Andrews would get in this team just now IMO or shouldn't and that's saying something.

Can sense an incoming tidal wave to some of they names I mentioned, but it's just my opinion only.

KAI do you seriously believe (even his 2nd stint) that Barry Ferguson wouldn't get into this current Rangers side?

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

KAI do you seriously believe (even his 2nd stint) that Barry Ferguson wouldn't get into this current Rangers side?

If it was upto me then no because I don't see that much of a difference between Halliday now and Barry Ferguson when he came back and as I pointed out the wage difference is about 30k grand a week too - so I'm taking that into account too. I'm not even a Halliday fan but Ferguson came back an average player and so is Halliday.

Just my opinion - he was fuck-all special second time round.

Would you have Ferguson (from second time round) in ahead of say Holt or Windass? I don't think I would.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

If it was upto me then no because I don't see that much of a difference between Halliday now and Barry Ferguson when he came back and as I pointed out the wage difference is about 30k grand a week too - so I'm taking that into account too. I'm not even a Halliday fan but Ferguson came back an average player and so is Halliday.

Would you have Ferguson (from second time round) in ahead of say Holt or Windass? I don't think I would.

Surely not

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Surely not what? that you don't like my opinion Ferguson was average second time round or surely not that you wouldn't have him ahead of Windass or Holt?

Fergie second time round would be the first name on our team sheet, easy.

Just now, K.A.I said:

I kinda get your point if we were still playing a level of high tempo football as definitely in his last season for me Ferguson had lost a good bit of snap in the tackle and looked heavy legged at times.

But what I've seen so far this season we don't have that high tempo anymore, I personally wouldn't put any of Holt, windass and halliday name up against Ferguson, yes it was his 1st spell but Ferguson held his own against some of Europeans finest, thats the player that I fondly remember.(tu)