Jump to content

Manager bravery required


NeoGeo7

Recommended Posts

So the manager thinks we were grave on the ball today and whilst he made a tweak with Tav in right mid which did nullify the threat on the right wing somewhat I feel now is the time for the manager to show the size of his balls, figuratively speaking.

Two must win home games on the horizon and another opportunity to right some wrongs. The manager has got to stop playing the regulars. Their performances don't merit a starting slot so they should not get one until they prove otherwise.

What is the point in talking about competition and players pushing each other to get in the team or talking about having clear paths to the first team when some just get picked anyway.

So to Wednesday, if Warburton continues with the 4-3-3 and still starts with Wallace and McKay in particular then it's clear he doesn't have what it takes to manage this club. Most of the time it's not easy making the right decisions but to succeed you sometimes have to do things that are difficult.

What would show some real bravery for me would be a lineup as follows:

Gilks

Tav Kiernan Hill Hodson

MOH Holt Halliday Forrester

Garner Miller

Naming the starting XI in a simple list would seem we are playing the same formation with forrester in midfield 3 and MOH, garner and miller in the front 3.

The trouble is I think Warburton has too much pride to change formation and his very vocal and well publicised opinion on plan A and plan B is to do plan A better but like I said sometimes it's not easy to do the right thing (not saying 4-4-2 is a panacea but it will at least give the opposition manager something to think about).

Do people think he has the bravery required to manage our club?

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

 

The trouble is I think Warburton has too much pride to change formation and his very vocal and well publicised opinion on plan A and plan B is to do plan A better but like I said sometimes it's not easy to do the right thing (not saying 4-4-2 is a panacea but it will at least give the opposition manager something to think about).

 

This is the problem, he's backed himself into a corner with his silly comments. If he changes to 442 now and mixes it up he'll lose face, but it needs to be done as we're mince. I don't get why he's so fixated on 433, as he did go 352 before against Hibs last season, which obviously shows he's willing to change things. It's bizarre he's not done so yet, and it'll be his undoing if he stubbornly persists with a formation that is predictable and not working. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What proves he is a manager is how he and the team react to this bad spell - not who he plays! if he plays McKay and we win then that is his right - it's bad spells that make or break managers and I think some patience and support is required not this howling for changing this or changing that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

What proves he is a manager is how he and the team react to this bad spell - not who he plays! if he plays McKay and we win then that is his right - it's bad spells that make or break managers and I think some patience and support is required not this howling for changing this or changing that. 

Very true - Lets get behind the team on Wednesday and push them on to a victory . I still think by the end of the season we will be second . While that is never a good position for us we have come a long way but still have a way to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

Very true - Lets get behind the team on Wednesday and push them on to a victory . I still think by the end of the season we will be second . While that is never a good position for us we have come a long way but still have a way to go. 

Agreed 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's lost sight of what he's trying to do. And the players are look lost in the system and style he wants them to play. 

 

We never passed the ball yesterday at all and when a player was on the ball no one was making angles to give them an  option. Yet after 85 minutes Hill and kiernan are still splitting as if they would get the ball when clearly it wasn't happening all day. Surely any half decent manager with a brain would see that and just get the team pushed up the park. Instead it went long and we were sitting on our own 18 yard box. 

 

Little tactical things like that happened all day. I like Warburton and would love him to succeed. But I just can't see us winning leagues with him in charge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, nik2402 said:

I think he's lost sight of what he's trying to do. And the players are look lost in the system and style he wants them to play. 

 

We never passed the ball yesterday at all and when a player was on the ball no one was making angles to give them an  option. Yet after 85 minutes Hill and kiernan are still splitting as if they would get the ball when clearly it wasn't happening all day. Surely any half decent manager with a brain would see that and just get the team pushed up the park. Instead it went long and we were sitting on our own 18 yard box. 

 

Little tactical things like that happened all day. I like Warburton and would love him to succeed. But I just can't see us winning leagues with him in charge. 

100%

The first line couldn't be more apt. When we beat the dhims last year, it was because our fullbacks constantly got past the wingers. Now were too scared to do that because of our lack of pace in the middle, which means we've become pedestrian and unimaginative

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gary Wilmot's Wedding Brek said:

This is the problem, he's backed himself into a corner with his silly comments. If he changes to 442 now and mixes it up he'll lose face, but it needs to be done as we're mince. I don't get why he's so fixated on 433, as he did go 352 before against Hibs last season, which obviously shows he's willing to change things. It's bizarre he's not done so yet, and it'll be his undoing if he stubbornly persists with a formation that is predictable and not working. 

I agree

He needs to lose face because he is not bigger than our club. 

Its fine to stick to a philosophy but only if it shows improvement- it's not though.  

Great managers tweaked things all the time. I was never worried about being one down at half time when Walter Smith was in charge, you just new things would be different in the second half. I'm always worried being one down now .  

The gaffer can't keep doing the same things over and over again and expect different results.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We gave them a right good game in the SC last season and other than the 2 forwards its very much the same team they have. As much as we like to ridicule him brenda has made a difference to them and  on the two occasions since  they have looked a different bheast to coin a phrase.

Im disappointed to hear the manager say he thinks we played well and the gap is not as big as some people think. At one stage late in the game it was almost laughable it was still goalless  and we were actually still in it. On another day we could have conceded another handful. We have made more changes in personnel however  we are further behind them and watching the last 2 OF games is new territory for all Rangers fans, new territory as in  watching our team getting fucken steamrollered by this mob twice in a row. They shouldn't be this far ahead of us but they are and the reason is brenda is a manager at the top level and our man is not. I said before on here nothing will change, we will continue to win the run of the mill games and lose the ones that matter ( Warbutons record in the important games is now becoming shocking) . The team selection for Wednesday night will be interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to see him trying something different. 

I'm not convinced yesterday was him trying anything different. Gilks had to start, it's the cup, same with Hodson, he usually plays in the cup. In an old firm Wallace and Tavernier were always going to start, so someone had to make way for one of them. With Barton all but gone and Krancjar's season over that meant Tav could play in midfield doing Forrester out of a place in the entire squad.

I'll be far more convinced the manager is trying to experiment with the squad if he brings about some changes on Wednesday night. 

As others have said McKay and Wallace need to be dropped, hard to see him dropping his captain but that takes the balls that I don't think he has. It's for the good of the club, I don't think he can see that.

I like Foderingham, but after that display today Gilks deserves a shot in front of a full Ibrox stadium.

O'Halloran needs to start starting soon or else that's a complete waste of money he's hardly done anything. A start against his former club could give him the perfect platform to show the manager that he can offer us that little something extra.

Again, as others have said, don't be afraid to change the formation. It'll be a packed Ibrox, the supporters are crying out for it we'll be behind you.

As for Garner. I like Garner, I was excited when we signed him, and I'd like to see him do well. I think he could be a big player for us if he gets shot of this whiney wee fanny act and just starts standing his ground instead of falling to the floor and looking for a fight constantly. I can't recall him doing this at home at all, but I could be mistaken.

These next 2 home games will give us an idea of how much we're learning from all these games that Warburton seems to be taking the positives from.

Fuck it that's only my opinion :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

What proves he is a manager is how he and the team react to this bad spell - not who he plays! if he plays McKay and we win then that is his right - it's bad spells that make or break managers and I think some patience and support is required not this howling for changing this or changing that. 

While you are right to a degree he still needs to change something as it's glaringly obvious the current method ain't working at least not when it really matters anyway.

we can go on about investment etc but seriously? A 5-6 yd pass should be easy for pro footballers!  And yet again we'll learn from it apparently and the gap ain't that big either. 

These alone can be the managers ticket out the job as he should start to recognise by now that A the same players are making the same mistakes which shows they aren't or can't learn.  And B the only real competition for places is in goals at least 7/8 outfield players will always play regardless of form. You can persist with 1-2 but not anymore than that otherwise we get what we're currently being served which is abysmal attempt at playing flowing football

Link to post
Share on other sites

for months now after every game most of us can only give between 2 and 3 players pass marks from the game and out of eleven players starting and three substitutions that is fucking abysmal.and I'm afraid the blame lies with the manager he picks the same players that underperform week in week out his signings don't fill any of us with much hope either apart from one or two of them and his stubbornness to change things will ultimately see him lose his job. this job is massive even without any money we are still one of the biggest  clubs in Europe and I for one think it's too big a job for mw and dw I hope I am wrong but if the results we have had lately continue his position will surely become unattainable. no manager or player will ever be bigger than the club and it will be time for us to part company as the way he has this group of players playing and the results in a lot of the games this season will never do at a club like rangers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

While you are right to a degree he still needs to change something as it's glaringly obvious the current method ain't working at least not when it really matters anyway.

we can go on about investment etc but seriously? A 5-6 yd pass should be easy for pro footballers!  And yet again we'll learn from it apparently and the gap ain't that big either. 

These alone can be the managers ticket out the job as he should start to recognise by now that A the same players are making the same mistakes which shows they aren't or can't learn.  And B the only real competition for places is in goals at least 7/8 outfield players will always play regardless of form. You can persist with 1-2 but not anymore than that otherwise we get what we're currently being served which is abysmal attempt at playing flowing football

Or it's a bad patch - some of our current players won't make it long term - some are off the form that we have seen them play and know they are capable off  - but we need to stop this navel gazing shite - folk love to have an opinion ( and we all enjoy our own opinions :pipe: ) but we also need to be realistic -  yes our ambition and goals must be set high but we also need to recognise the journey it might take to get there - this expectation of immediate domanance of Scottish football is a pipe dream - we will get there but it's a process, a journey, not a binary happening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Or it's a bad patch - some of our current players won't make it long term - some are off the form that we have seen them play and know they are capable off  - but we need to stop this navel gazing shite - folk love to have an opinion ( and we all enjoy our own opinions :pipe: ) but we also need to be realistic -  yes our ambition and goals must be set high but we also need to recognise the journey it might take to get there - this expectation of immediate domanance of Scottish football is a pipe dream - we will get there but it's a process, a journey, not a binary happening. 

No one is looking for immediate dominance just a team that can give them a game when we meet. Its not as far away is it appears just needs some tweaking in the right places.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Or it's a bad patch - some of our current players won't make it long term - some are off the form that we have seen them play and know they are capable off  - but we need to stop this navel gazing shite - folk love to have an opinion ( and we all enjoy our own opinions :pipe: ) but we also need to be realistic -  yes our ambition and goals must be set high but we also need to recognise the journey it might take to get there - this expectation of immediate domanance of Scottish football is a pipe dream - we will get there but it's a process, a journey, not a binary happening. 

Let's face it m8 it shouldn't be hard to dominate in this league, it's shite.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, centenarystand said:

No one is looking for immediate dominance just a team that can give them a game when we meet. Its not as far away is it appears just needs some tweaking in the right places.

Yep also if ( that great catch all) - if we had scored with either of our two chances we might have settled - the pressure of the games against them seems to have got to this group and football is iften a game of confidence 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 25 May 2024 14:00 Until 16:00
      0  
      celtic v Rangers
      Hampden Park
      Scottish Cup
×
×
  • Create New...