Goal.com uses picture of Ibrox in sex abuse article

Virtuoso

I see the whataboutery comments are flying on the article.  Truth is any team and any sport can be used by a paedo for access to young people, the guy with connections to us is dead, don't know about the convicted vermin from cellic boys club after they got out of jail. The point missed by the east end uneducated is that its all about organisational cover up - in that regard they stand alone and guilty.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

Where is all this from ? I can't find anything about charges and any i do find are accusations by celtc fans.

From an article on the Free Library.

I'll post the link tomorrow when back on laptop. Bheasts on Twitter also have a newspaper cutting of it.

Having seen this article last night it seemed like the image was used to show kids playing football where a club could be seen also, while there was no reference to us being involved there was no disclaimer/clarification as to why the image was used. When the other club was featured via photograph they were a club with allegations surrounding them and as such it's not inconceivable that someone could get the impression there was involvement of our club suggested/known. As such I contacted Miles Chambers (as others did, or they contacted Goal.com) asking that clarification/a-disclaimer should accompany the photograph or it should be removed. I checked this morning to see that the photograph has now been removed with the following explanation at the bottom of the article:

"*An earlier version of the article had an image of children playing football with Ibrox in the background. The image has been removed. Goal apologises for any offence this caused, no implication between the club and the scandal was intended to be implied."

19 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

Having seen this article last night it seemed like the image was used to show kids playing football where a club could be seen also, while there was no reference to us being involved there was no disclaimer/clarification as to why the image was used. When other clubs were featured via photograph they were clubs with allegations surrounding them and as such it's not inconceivable that someone could get the impression there was involvement of our club suggested/known. As such I contacted Miles Chambers (as others did, or they contacted Goal.com) asking that clarification/a-disclaimer should accompany the photograph or it should be removed. I checked this morning to see that the photograph has now been removed with the following explanation at the bottom of the article:

"*An earlier version of the article had an image of children playing football with Ibrox in the background. The image has been removed. Goal apologises for any offence this caused, no implication between the club and the scandal was intended to be implied."

Well done,

I'll certainly be writing to them regarding the author of the article and his motives.

The image has been cheery picked, when one searches google / yahoo / bing for terms such as "children playing football" "football stadium children" etc, the image they chose of Ibrox does not appear in any of the searches.

I'm fairly certain the author searched for Ibrox specifically.

Now there are reports the author follows them on his Twitter account.

Make no mistake fellow Bears, they are trying every game in the book here to deflect the shit storm that is heading their way.

I will iterate to them that I will cease using goal.com and any outlet they use. I will inform them that I will be contacting the companies that use their website and any other outlets they use for advertising.

The damage has already been done in my opinion. The particular page will have been cached now so it will still be visible for someone to pick up in the future, they will see the image of Ibrox, and they would no doubt put 2 and 2 together.

A very dangerous motive by the author, why not use one of any other stadium in the country? Or one that doesn't implicate a Club in this whole sordid affair.

The author should be hounded out over this. It is unacceptable.

32 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

Having seen this article last night it seemed like the image was used to show kids playing football where a club could be seen also, while there was no reference to us being involved there was no disclaimer/clarification as to why the image was used. When other clubs were featured via photograph they were clubs with allegations surrounding them and as such it's not inconceivable that someone could get the impression there was involvement of our club suggested/known. As such I contacted Miles Chambers (as others did, or they contacted Goal.com) asking that clarification/a-disclaimer should accompany the photograph or it should be removed. I checked this morning to see that the photograph has now been removed with the following explanation at the bottom of the article:

?? Yes it's definitely removed bud but it's concerning that they managed to put the image in if only for a time. It's the old plant the seed and infer thing that can stick, they really are heinous bastards. :sherlock:

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Who is the author - don't want to give them extra clicks.

Just goes to show how sly they are though (and like rats they are everywhere)

Author was Miles Chambers

Twitter handle is @Miles_Chambers

12 minutes ago, csmail said:

I'll certainly be writing to them regarding the author of the article and his motives.

The image has been cheery picked, when one searches google / yahoo / bing for terms such as "children playing football" "football stadium children" etc, the image they chose of Ibrox does not appear in any of the searches.

I'm fairly certain the author searched for Ibrox specifically.

Now there are reports the author follows them on his Twitter account.

Make no mistake fellow Bears, they are trying every game in the book here to deflect the shit storm that is heading their way.

I will iterate to them that I will cease using goal.com and any outlet they use. I will inform them that I will be contacting the companies that use their website and any other outlets they use for advertising.

The damage has already been done in my opinion. The particular page will have been cached now so it will still be visible for someone to pick up in the future, they will see the image of Ibrox, and they would no doubt put 2 and 2 together.

A very dangerous motive by the author, why not use one of any other stadium in the country? Or one that doesn't implicate a Club in this whole sordid affair.

The author should be hounded out over this. It is unacceptable.

This clarifies something for me. I hadn't got round to checking... but it did cross my mind that some office junior / media apprentice has been told to find a 'stock image' of 'children playing football' and this is one that came up. I even googled 'children playing near football stadium' - and this image does not come up at all either. 

As others have said, this pic has been chosen with one sole purpose. Implicating Rangers and no other team north of the border. 

1 hour ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

?? Yes it's definitely removed bud but it's concerning that they managed to put the image in if only for a time. It's the old plant the seed and infer thing that can stick, they really are heinous bastards. :sherlock:

Without wishing to defend them (I do not know their motives) the images used of accused clubs were in colour with the clubs name front and centre, other images were used in a stock photo fashion, to give a visual representation of something, these were in black and white. There was an image of "faceless" kids playing football as the main picture as child abuse in football is the subject, there was an image showing a "faceless" someone distressed to highlight the pain/anguish caused to and experienced by the victims in such circumstances, and there was an image of "faceless" kids playing football with Ibrox in the background. I took that view that as a visual representation an image of small children playing football beneath the gaze of a huge traditional looking club ground intimated how a child could feel too small to speak out and expose those that abused them. We have to, however, consider that if a club is featured alongside others that have allegations made against them, in an article about child abuse, that it could infer to the minds of some that the club is involved with the subject matter. With this in mind, it would be entirely sensible to have a disclaimer beneath the photo explaining that the photograph was for illustrative purposes and the club is not implicated etc. etc, alternatively to explain/remove the photo. They have removed the photo overnight and featured an explanation/apology. Whether there is malice to their original inclusion of our ground in a photo or not is not for me to say, I have no knowledge of their track record but the article seemed entirely sensible about a serious subject and didn't strike me as being the ilk of known Rangers haters. The fact they acted quickly to address concerns is in their favour.  

[Edit] Something else I should mention as a matter of record; following the OP pointing out this incident to us all an assumed celtic fan in response to a Rangers fan (questioning the photo) outright accused deceased Rangers coach John Chalmers of sexually abusing children in his time at the club saying that he killed himself to avoid being exposed in a commencing investigation. There were other claims made if I remember correctly involving Torbett being at us before being at celtic. The site also removed these seemingly spurious allegations (of which there was multiple) made by this individual which is another factor I considered in my judgment that the site had no conscious interest in our club regarding this matter.

19 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

We all know the intentions of this , if the club had any balls they would take them to the cleaners 

If this Board were the Rangers supporters they claimed to be we would not be getting shat on by everyone. They are still releasing stuff to the record which is just a scum fanzine now.

4 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

Without wishing to defend them (I do not know their motives) the images used of accused clubs were in colour with the clubs name front and centre, other images were used in a stock photo fashion, to give a visual representation of something, these were in black and white. There was an image of "faceless" kids playing football as the main picture as child abuse in football is the subject, there was an image showing a "faceless" someone distressed to highlight the pain/anguish caused to and experienced by the victims in such circumstances, and there was an image of "faceless" kids playing football with Ibrox in the background. I took that view that as a visual representation an image of small children playing football beneath the gaze of a huge traditional looking club ground intimated how a child could feel too small to speak out and expose those that abused them. We have to, however, consider that if your club is featured alongside others that have allegations made against them, in an article about child abuse, that it could infer to the minds of some that the club is involved with the subject matter. With this in mind, it would be entirely sensible to have a disclaimer beneath the photo explaining that the photograph was for illustrative purposes and the club is not implicated etc. etc, alternatively to explain/remove the photo. They have removed the photo overnight and featured an explanation/apology. Whether there is malice to their original inclusion of our ground in a photo or not is not for me to say, I have no knowledge of their track record but the article seemed entirely sensible and didn't strike me as being the ilk of known Rangers haters. The fact they acted quickly to address concerns is in their favour.  

I don't know their motives either, but I do know their track record, poor journalism though considering the immensity of the problem being uncovered at the moment especially when there is a team in the same city who have already encountered this problem and they pick an image of their immediate historical rivals ! :sherlock:

14 minutes ago, Smile said:

If this Board were the Rangers supporters they claimed to be we would not be getting shat on by everyone. They are still releasing stuff to the record which is just a scum fanzine now.

Rangers fans still read the Record though despite the shite they continue pedal. 

25 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

I don't know their motives either, but I do know their track record, poor journalism though considering the immensity of the problem being uncovered at the moment especially when there is a team in the same city who have already encountered this problem and they pick an image of their immediate historical rivals ! :sherlock:

That's what I was saying though, in illustrative terms I think the photo was used because it was a great photo of a huge traditional looking club stadium gazing over young kids playing organised football, not because they thought "stick Rangers in there". Now I could be wrong but I'm trying to be level headed and fair at a time when we're surrounded by publications and individuals with a penchant for slandering/disrupting our club. I added an edit above in my previous post when I had the chance to cite another reason I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If someone else can say "he's rabid because of X, Y, Z" then I won't be arguing a defense, I'm only saying that the description of our club featuring alongside an article of this nature sounds a lot worse than the actual manner in which it featured and considering the current climate it's all too easy to conclude that it was a conscious, deliberate, blatant insinuation targeted at our club. I obviously found it questionable and did question it to those responsible as with others, I'm just trying to explain there are reasons to think this was not a deliberate/intended attack by the usual/regulars.  

2 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

That's what I was saying though, in illustrative terms I think the photo was used because it was a great photo of a huge traditional looking club stadium gazing over young kids playing organised football, not because they thought "stick Rangers in there". Now I could be wrong but I'm trying to be level headed and fair at a time when we're surrounded by publications and individuals with a penchant for slandering/disrupting our club. I added an edit above in my previous post when I had the chance to cite another reason I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If someone else can say "he's rabid because of X, Y, Z" then I won't be arguing a defense, I'm only saying that the description of our club featuring alongside an article of this nature sounds a lot worse than the actual manner in which it featured and considering the current climate it's all too easy to conclude that it was a conscious, deliberate, blatant insinuation targeted at our club. I obviously found it questionable and did question it to those responsible as with others, I'm just trying to explain there are reasons to think this was not a deliberate/intended attack by the usual/regulars.  

????Couldn't tell you about the journo miles chambers ? He's a new one on me !:sherlock: