Goal.com uses picture of Ibrox in sex abuse article

Virtuoso

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, csmail said:

The image has been cheery picked, when one searches google / yahoo / bing for terms such as "children playing football" "football stadium children" etc, the image they chose of Ibrox does not appear in any of the searches.

I'm fairly certain the author searched for Ibrox specifically.

2 hours ago, Ryju84 said:

This clarifies something for me. I hadn't got round to checking... but it did cross my mind that some office junior / media apprentice has been told to find a 'stock image' of 'children playing football' and this is one that came up. I even googled 'children playing near football stadium' - and this image does not come up at all either. 

As others have said, this pic has been chosen with one sole purpose. Implicating Rangers and no other team north of the border. 

Both of these posts identified something I hadn't thought to do personally so to make sure I wasn't being overly fair I decided to check there just now.

The image used was essentially this one:

kids-football-takes-place-outside-ibrox-

If you go to Getty Images (well-known stock photos) http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/ and type in the search facility "kids football" on the very first page at the bottom you'll find the image used. Assuming I'm right that this was the image used it has been altered to be black and white indicating that my previously posted theory as to why/how they might have used the image has seemingly some merit.

This to me would suggest that they used the first image that came up looking like British football involving kids in the kind of setting being discussed at present.

I stand to be corrected but out of all the images they have for ours to be on the first page of that search is evidence in the sites favour regarding innocence perhaps?!

10 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

If you go to Getty Images (well-known stock photos) http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/ and type in the search facility "kids football" on the very first page at the bottom you'll find the image used. Assuming I'm right that this was the image used it has altered to be black and white indicating that my theory as to why/how they used the image has some merit.

This to me would suggest that they used the first image that came up looking like British football involving kids in the kind of setting being discussed at present.

I stand to be corrected but out of all the images they have for ours to be on the first page of that search is evidence in the sites favour regarding innocence perhaps?!

Knowing the "quality" of that site, I agree that it's more likely to be a lack of journalism standards that led to it. That the apology fails to mention the name of the club might be more of the same...maybe?

15 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

Both of these posts identified something I hadn't thought to do personally so to make sure I wasn't being overly fair I decided to check there just now.

If you go to Getty Images (well-known stock photos) http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/ and type in the search facility "kids football" on the very first page at the bottom you'll find the image used. Assuming I'm right that this was the image used it has altered to be black and white indicating that my theory as to why/how they used the image has some merit.

So a football hack, doing a piece on paedo's hasn't heard of Scotland's reigning champions, high profile via the CL AND previously in a paedo scandal and he comes up with a picture depicting us in maybe representing scottish football? No way that this wasn't deliberate.

1 hour ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

That's what I was saying though, in illustrative terms I think the photo was used because it was a great photo of a huge traditional looking club stadium gazing over young kids playing organised football, not because they thought "stick Rangers in there". Now I could be wrong but I'm trying to be level headed and fair at a time when we're surrounded by publications and individuals with a penchant for slandering/disrupting our club. I added an edit above in my previous post when I had the chance to cite another reason I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If someone else can say "he's rabid because of X, Y, Z" then I won't be arguing a defense, I'm only saying that the description of our club featuring alongside an article of this nature sounds a lot worse than the actual manner in which it featured and considering the current climate it's all too easy to conclude that it was a conscious, deliberate, blatant insinuation targeted at our club. I obviously found it questionable and did question it to those responsible as with others, I'm just trying to explain there are reasons to think this was not a deliberate/intended attack by the usual/regulars.  

I signed up to the site for the sole purpose of questioning that the photo might have been to show where kids were allowed to play football in a safe environment and some rodent tried to point score by accusing Jock Wallace knew.
The comments were pulled on the whole story and the photo of Ibrox was withdrawn.
Make no mistake about it,these cunts will peddle any filth to try and discredit Rangers.
BE ON YOUR GUARD.
If we hadn't responded the filth would have pulled us into there sordid little secret.

1 minute ago, Hilly86 said:

Knowing the "quality" of that site, I agree that it's more likely to be a lack of journalism standards that led to it. That the apology fails to mention the name of the club might be more of the same...maybe?

I noticed that too, the guys took the picture down from the article, deleted the posts by some random slandering deceased John Chalmers and Rangers and rattled out an apology whereby he's mentioned the ground by name but not the club by name when saying it we nothing to do with the subject matter. I think there's strong reason to give the benefit of the doubt but others may disagree.

5 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

I signed up to the site for the sole purpose of questioning that the photo might have been to show where kids were allowed to play football in a safe environment and some rodent tried to point score by accusing Jock Wallace knew.
The comments were pulled on the whole story and the photo of Ibrox was withdrawn.
Make no mistake about it,these cunts will peddle any filth to try and discredit Rangers.
BE ON YOUR GUARD.
If we hadn't responded the filth would have pulled us into there sordid little secret.

I mentioned that particular individual in an earlier post and the removal of his/her statements including the one you reference.

26 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

So a football hack, doing a piece on paedo's hasn't heard of Scotland's reigning champions, high profile via the CL AND previously in a paedo scandal and he comes up with a picture depicting us in maybe representing scottish football? No way that this wasn't deliberate.

There was no mention of us, no reference to Scotland, the paragraph the picture was alongside was about Crewe, Andy Woodward and quotes about how to tackle the issue going forward at a time allegations are surfacing down South. There's a black and white photo with a boy with a tear streaming down his face in the same piece but no one is saying that kids an actual victim. I understand why we are on our guard against even a whiff of some kind of shot aimed at our club considering the last 4-5 years but I've gave my own account of what I read/saw/did/think and it's mine alone, I don't know anyone at the site but the author is from York as far as I gather so I really can't say 'oh aye he's one of them'. I could be entirely wrong but I think I've did my bit on this and been fair/reasonable throughout.

52 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

If you go to Getty Images (well-known stock photos) http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/ and type in the search facility "kids football" on the very first page at the bottom you'll find the image used. Assuming I'm right that this was the image used it has been altered to be black and white indicating that my previously posted theory as to why/how they might have used the image has seemingly some merit.

You make a good point Preacher. Different people have different opinions on this.

Perhaps its not been malicious and it has been an error of judgement from the author and some of us may be over-analysing this.

But say a person, not a fan or associated with Rangers, happened to read the article, saw the picture of Ibrox (which has RANGERS clearly visible at the top of the main stand in the picture) I'm quite sure some people would associate a case of child abuse has taken part at the club since the image appeared at the end of the article. People finish reading the article, see the picture of Ibrox then make assumptions. The fact the picture has been changed from colour also, to me, tries to give the impression of it being an interpretation of a historical picture of Ibrox.

It seems akin to the press using a picture of kids playing in front of ones house, with one standing at the door or looking out of the window. I for one would not want to be implicated in this sort of affair and neither should Rangers.

Surely the author when choosing a picture to use should have thought, the club in the background of the image I'm about to use is Rangers, they haven't been implicated into this. Will the club and it's fans be okay with me using a picture of their stadium on this article.

Like you say Preacher, different people have different opinions on this. But to me, it doesn't seem like an honest mistake.

Fair enough on them removing and issuing an apology though, which makes me think it has something to do with the author and not goal.com itself.

1 minute ago, csmail said:

You make a good point Preacher. Different people have different opinions on this.

Perhaps its not been malicious and it has been an error of judgement from the author and some of us may be over-analysing this.

But say a person, not a fan or associated with Rangers, happened to read the article, saw the picture of Ibrox (which has RANGERS clearly visible at the top of the main stand in the picture) I'm quite sure some people would associate a case of child abuse has taken part at the club since the image appeared at the end of the article. People finish reading the article, see the picture of Ibrox then make assumptions. The fact the picture has been changed from colour also, to me, tries to give the impression of it being an interpretation of a historical picture of Ibrox.

It seems akin to the press using a picture of kids playing in front of ones house, with one standing at the door or looking out of the window. I for one would not want to be implicated in this sort of affair and neither should Rangers.

Surely the author when choosing a picture to use should have thought, the club in the background of the image I'm about to use is Rangers, they haven't been implicated into this. Will the club and it's fans be okay with me using a picture of their stadium on this article.

Like you say Preacher, different people have different opinions on this. But to me, it doesn't seem like an honest mistake.

Fair enough on them removing and issuing an apology though, which makes me think it has something to do with the author and not goal.com itself.

All reasonable points you've made and I've touched on them all and share almost all of them I think in my previous posts.

The picture being changed from colour to black and white tied into my theory of the picture being used for illustrative purposes, the other black and white photo's were for that reason unlike the picture of Crewe which was their stadium welcome sign, front and centre and in colour. So we differ in conclusion there.

I think if someone can point out that if the author or whatever has a record of past digs against us or something then that would change things but in my mind there's reasonable doubt and we got a quick resolution including the removal of spurious claims in the comments about a deceased coach of ours that I never seen anyone request the removal of, I assume therefore the author took that upon himself.

As some have said we do need to keep the eyes peeled because it's the fans that seem to be on top of these things not the club and if the last 4-5 years has taught us anything it's that there's plenty of punters doing their bit to try and put us out the game or at the very least trying to damage us.

This has been a deliberate attempt to blacken our name and the club should be pursuing it with proper legal advice.

Make no mistake, this is the beginning of the taigs trying to pin shit on us and flip the bad guys onto us.

I have heard the Chalmers rumours from taigs.

I have heard the shit about torbett being employed by Rangers first from the same taigs.

None of that explains what their vile club covered up but hey, keep pointing the finger at us and people start beleiving them.

These are the same taigs who were tax experts not so long ago and actively tried to kill our club.

They are a well oiled machine, tell a lie often enough.....

Remember they were the H***?

They spinned that.

Remember they accused us of being the establishment club, does that still stand?

Remember they accused us of having too much influence at the Sfa/referees?

We have let the bastards off with it for long enough, it's time to be vigilant and fight the bastards back at their own game.

If that was a genuine "mistake" ...... then I will accept it for that .... if ..... the scum openly condemn their behaviour in covering up the biggest scandal in Scottish football .... bar none.

I don't however believe that this will ever happen ..... and therefore cry bullshit .... it was a deliberate attack on the good name of our Club and all who have kept that good name.

What I do believe is ..... that if Scotty and the Preacher (and possibly more ?) had not challenged this despicable act ..... then it would not have been withdrawn, and the accusations resulting from the intended assumptions would have gone ballistic by now.

Well done to both for rectifying a potentially serious wrong.

:uk:

1 hour ago, Bobby Hume said:

If that was a genuine "mistake" ...... then I will accept it for that .... if ..... the scum openly condemn their behaviour in covering up the biggest scandal in Scottish football .... bar none.

I don't however believe that this will ever happen ..... and therefore cry bullshit .... it was a deliberate attack on the good name of our Club and all who have kept that good name.

What I do believe is ..... that if Scotty and the Preacher (and possibly more ?) had not challenged this despicable act ..... then it would not have been withdrawn, and the accusations resulting from the intended assumptions would have gone ballistic by now.

Cheers Bobby :541:  :uk: 

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

despite @Reformation Bear trying to be as fair and open minded as is possible, i dont believe this wasn't sinister

Hi.  I don't recall making any posts about this unsavoury and unwelcome subject.   Did you quote the right post?

Just now, cushynumber said:

Totally the wrong poster. I am having a shocker today.

No problem.  Thanks for clarifying.   I'm astounded that the Club has been dragged into this, and perhaps just as astounded that the Club has not taken the offending company to task and demanded an apology (perhaps they have and I've not seen it on the Club's website).   Anyhow this is a very worrying matter for the whole of football.

4 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

This. (tu)

23 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

John Chalmers, Senior youth coach with Rangers in the 80's / early 90's.

He topped himself just days before he was due to attend a police station (he was on bail) and his solicitor had warned him he was being charged with various counts of child abuse / underage sex and rape. His suicide was put down to 'matrimonial problems'.

I think there was only ever one person who came forward after his death and did an interview in the Sunday Mail or NotW and claimed that they wouldn't get closure.

But there was no conviction, no cover up (and we couldn't exactly re-employ him) unlike Torbett, but these bastards will somehow use this to turn it around. 

Just to give you an idea of how warped their mindset is, there was a bheast on Twitter a few days ago mentioning the fact that we employed Healy, whose brother is a convicted sex offender...guilt by association etc.

Trust me, these cunts will do anything, to divert from their own misdeeds. 

Yup it is true that they don't mind a cover up. This shits too important to let tit-for-tat bollocks get in the way. Its time for the government to send in whatever wolfs they have to turn over every stone. I couldn't give a shit about this prick being linked to Rangers. Lets get the lot out and make sure our children are protected. Can't believe their is no mandatory reporting and that we're behind third world countries on this. Never seen the picture of the stadium, take it its been taken down? If so well done bears. Must have been one of those disgusting rats. Wouldn't be surprised if these cunts paid the cunt money.

5 hours ago, plumbGER said:

This has been a deliberate attempt to blacken our name and the club should be pursuing it with proper legal advice.

Make no mistake, this is the beginning of the taigs trying to pin shit on us and flip the bad guys onto us.

I have heard the Chalmers rumours from taigs.

I have heard the shit about torbett being employed by Rangers first from the same taigs.

None of that explains what their vile club covered up but hey, keep pointing the finger at us and people start beleiving them.

These are the same taigs who were tax experts not so long ago and actively tried to kill our club.

They are a well oiled machine, tell a lie often enough.....

Remember they were the H***?

They spinned that.

Remember they accused us of being the establishment club, does that still stand?

Remember they accused us of having too much influence at the Sfa/referees?

We have let the bastards off with it for long enough, it's time to be vigilant and fight the bastards back at their own game.

Yup and they go out of their way to have themselves seen as a minority because such status makes it more difficult for the press to criticise them whilst ignoring the fact that Ulster Scots and Orangemen meet all the criteria to be seen as such themselves. Them and the media then go out of their way to stigmatise the latter for celebrating their heritage and to make it out to be less valid and worthy of contempt. Must be the most attacked minority group in the UK.

Our financial problems seems to have inspired them to go to new lengths. I for one am glad as I could never have thought people could be that demented over an allegiance to a football club and lets not pretend their Irish-ness is much more than that. Everywhere else in the UK an Irish background doesn't mean much more than a bit of good will and enjoying a St Patricks day drink. The difference in Scotland is Celtic FC have wrapped all that ethnic nationalist shite around themselves since their inception. They have an institutionalised process of socialisation through the triangle of Church, School, and Club. A truly unique football club with a huge advantage over every other one since its creation. Also by far the biggest culprit in introducing and fixing religious identification into Scottish football. Yet they play or believe themselves to be saints. Despicable people and club.

Strangely enough before the Big Jock Knew song brought the cover up to my attention the only time I'd heard of stuff like this in football was a mentalist saying some shite about Richard Gough because he helped a homeless guy. The lengths many of them will go to because of their hatred knows no bounds. Look at that crazy blogger who has managed to eek a living out of them all simply by writing comical horror stories about us and our country. That woman friend of his has also managed to wangle a job at a broadsheet by playing the victim and writing rubbish about Rangers.

The club needs to be more active in this day of instant communications

4 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Yup and they go out of their way to have themselves seen as a minority because such status makes it more difficult for the press to criticise them whilst ignoring the fact that Ulster Scots and Orangemen meet all the criteria to be seen as such themselves. Them and the media then go out of their way to stigmatise the latter for celebrating their heritage and to make it out to be less valid and worthy of contempt. Must be the most attacked minority group in the UK.

Our financial problems seems to have inspired them to go to new lengths. I for one am glad as I could never have thought people could be that demented over an allegiance to a football club and lets not pretend their Irish-ness is much more than that. Everywhere else in the UK an Irish background doesn't mean much more than a bit of good will and enjoying a St Patricks day drink. The difference in Scotland is Celtic FC have wrapped all that ethnic nationalist shite around themselves since their inception. They have an institutionalised process of socialisation through the triangle of Church, School, and Club. A truly unique football club with a huge advantage over every other one since its creation. Also by far the biggest culprit in introducing and fixing religious identification into Scottish football. Yet they play or believe themselves to be saints. Despicable people and club.

Strangely enough before the Big Jock Knew song brought the cover up to my attention the only time I'd heard of stuff like this in football was a mentalist saying some shite about Richard Gough because he helped a homeless guy. The lengths many of them will go to because of their hatred knows no bounds. Look at that crazy blogger who has managed to eek a living out of them all simply by writing comical horror stories about us and our country. That woman friend of his has also managed to wangle a job at a broadsheet by playing the victim and writing rubbish about Rangers.

The club needs to be more active in this day of instant communications

(tu):clap:

I've got the bastards sussed mate.

Spreading the message is whats required.

These cunts have no time for nobody but their own, a more insular breed you will never meet.