• no
    • He was good at putting out a cone at Valencia
    • Too early to tell

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

You can spend all the time you like watching a good manager do his job, but that doesn't mean you'll be worth the seat you're sitting on when it's your turn to make the decisions. 

Steve Clarke, René Meulensteen, Kevin Bond...

Ally McCoist .

7 hours ago, Drumloyal said:

I imagine it to be a lot like in my work in the yards, they made a lot of boys just out their time into gaffers.

Most of them have no clue and the bears who have been on the shop floor a long time (10 years here)  carry them through. 

this exactly mate. they promote straight from uni/college in the hope management can change existing practises that an experianced tradesman/operator/worker would pull them up over. 

cathro to me is a young andy roxburgh, full of fancy ideas but will be found out at the top level

Not sure whether we "dodged a bullet" in not getting Cathro as who knows how good a manager he'll turn out to be. I suspect the job would have been far, far too big for him though.

I prefer to think that we won a watch when we secured the appointment of Warburton

I'm not writing him off completely but he seems more suited to being a wee office worker with power point presentations 

I'm not a fan of young rookie managers at us I prefer older seasoned experienced guys that know what's needed 

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I'm not writing him off completely but he seems more suited to being a wee office worker with power point presentations 

I'm not a fan of young rookie managers at us I prefer older seasoned experienced guys that know what's needed 

Winners. Proven winners. That is what we are, that is who we are and that is what we will always need. It's also why Warburton will likely not last much longer. He doesn't have that "winners" thing in him.  

Just now, Tenerife Bear said:

Winners. Proven winners. That is what we are, that is who we are and that is what we will always need. It's also why Warburton will likely not last much longer. He doesn't have that "winners" thing in him.  

Time will tell with Warburton but I've got my doubts 

For all his coaching experience, he has never been in the hot seat before now.  Being the manager is a completely different job from behind the scenes coaching and we will soon find out if he can rise to it, or crash and burn like so many before him.  I'm happy for Hearts to help in that the experiment rather than us.

He's the type of coach I would like at Rangers whom could learn off of the first team manager, inject his ideas while receiving guidance from someone whom has more experience and one day take over as manager.

To have him being a manger straight off? Nah, too risky, and we certainly are not in the position to start taking risks - especially with the first team.

He could be great for Hearts and no doubt we'd all wish he'd come to Rangers if that happens, however, he could equally be complete gorillla bollocks, so not for me.

9 hours ago, Smile said:

I know a lot of posters wanted him at one time to get the Job at Rangers, do you think we dodged a bullet with him and his weird looking sidekick.

To early to tell but I suspect he is no where as good as his own publicity and if he is as good at management as he is at self promotion he'll be managing a top 6 EPL team next! 

4 hours ago, moody blue 1972 said:

quote from him last night "It's now been two weeks. I have learned an awful lot about everyone, about us. The only thing I have learned about myself is that I was right when I thought a long time ago that I was strong enough to deal with these things. I am confident and relaxed in the fact and fortunate that I am strong and these challenges just add to making me a little bit better."

Fuckin hell.

As an aside, seen an interview he did early last year when being touted for our job and he gave me the fear at the time.  Think I posted something about it. 

Ian Cathro on his future head coaching ambitions

https://stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/dundee-united/315190-ian-cathro-on-his-valencia-project-head-coach-ambition-and-ryan-gauld/

6 minutes of shite (as some might say)

sounds like the first paragraph in a self improvement book.

"I must learn to love myself first"

"only by being positive can I achieve my goals"

"i must be mentally strong or my mum will....oh....er.....wrong bit...."

Undoubtedly Cathro is a good coach. But.... good coaches don't always make good managers and.... good managers aren't always particularly good coaches (think Fergie and Smith for examples) but.... good managers are aways good at being a figurehead, leading and bringing everything together.

Far to early to tell with Cathro. I know a couple of Hearts fans and the general feeling is Neilson jumped at the right time - the ship was starting to leak.

13 hours ago, Creampuff said:

You can spend all the time you like watching a good manager do his job, but that doesn't mean you'll be worth the seat you're sitting on when it's your turn to make the decisions. 

Steve Clarke, René Meulensteen, Kevin Bond...

Ally McCoist.

Fuckin laughable, apparently 2 games is enough for some to right players/managers off as not good enough! sure it's only Hearts and I couldn't give a fuck how they get on, but it's the same on here regarding our own players/managers some people are so short sighted they can't seem to look past a few games at a time.

No wonder Scottish football is so backwards, boring and utter shite with attitudes like you see on here cunts can't seem to move on from the 1980's/90's.

1 hour ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Fuckin laughable, apparently 2 games is enough for some to right players/managers off as not good enough! sure it's only Hearts and I couldn't give a fuck how they get on, but it's the same on here regarding our own players/managers some people are so short sighted they can't seem to look past a few games at a time.

No wonder Scottish football is so backwards, boring and utter shite with attitudes like you see on here cunts can't seem to move on from the 1980's/90's.

If Scottish football is so shite and backwards why are you on here. ?

It's far too early to say if Cathro will be a successful manager at Hearts (or in the future) and to be honest until he was touted by some to become manager of Rangers (laughingly in my opinion) I didn't have a clue to who he was. I don't think we dodged a bullet as such, because there was no way we were going to appoint a guy who had no experience whatsoever as the top dog in any League, never mind the top division in the country.

That's not to say that Hearts have made a bad choice in Cathro, but he will have to be given time (and lots of it) to stamp his style and player selection on this Hearts team. Just out of interest I had a look at the previous 7 games the Jambos played before he was appointed and apart from our shocker at Tynecastle and a home victory over a poor Motherwell side the previous game, their form has been pretty poor to say the least with them having 4 draws and a defeat = 4 points from a possible 15; so as another poster commented, was the ship sinking before Neilson jumped?

I would be amazed if Dave King and the board ever considered appointing Cathro to Rangers. :pipe: