Does anyone still want Warburton as manager?

LiviGer

Just now, broomloan blue nose said:

We had 24 attempted shots yesterday.most games are the same,changing style of play not necessary,they need to start taking chances,simple.

We need a new manager in it's a simple as that. He's failed us. Every signing he's made has not been upto it apart fae Fod. We all know our defence is shite we all know we've been struggling for goals but he goes out and buys a reserve keeper and 2 midfield loans. Surely he's not that daft. It's like he's trying to work his ticket! £2 million for Gardner a striker that was hopeless all last season in the championship? Warburton has done nothing to make us any better. King is a fucking liar and as long as he's there were fucked!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a wee read of this and (if true) few names I wouldn't mind being The next manager. Hope they have the wrong de boer brother tho ! 

With Rangers manager Mark Warburton coming under increasing pressure with recent results and not only falling even further behind rivals Celtic but also struggling to fend off Aberdeen in 2nd.

If they do decide that Warburton and Weir’s time is up who could they turn to ? What kind of calibre of manager would want to work at Ibrox in the current situation ?

Well make no doubts about Rangers are still a massive draw and if they do decide to change their manager there should be a few viable candidates: of course depending on how ambitious Dave King and the rest of the board are. Will they push the boat out for a bit of calibre ? Take the best of the rest in Scotland ? Or go for another project manager and coach with a track record of building teams and working with young players?

We look at at potential managers who could take the job at Ibrox.

Derek McIness: The Aberdeen manager has seen his side emerge as the countries 2nd force behind Celtic in the absence of Rangers and on current form you would have to make them favourites to do it again. But the lure of a return to the club he grew up supporting and spent 5 years as a player would possibly be too good to turn down. Although the move would instantly undo all his good work at Pittordrie and make him public enemy number 1 in Aberdeen.This would show a real intent by Rangers to show Aberdeen they were back to become the main contenders to Celtic.

2. Alex McLeish: This one may seem a bit ambitious and there would be doubts that McLeish would be in danger of dampening his reputation but at  58 the former Scotland, Rangers and Hibs manager will feel he still has one big job left in him.

After recent brief spells in Egypt in Belgium the former centre half may see a return to Ibrox as a perfect fit at this stage of his career. Would be a very popular appointment with the fans after lifting 7 trophies in his first spell including 2 league titles against one the strongest Celtic sides in history.

3. Ronald De Boer and Barry Ferguson: One of the more out there internet rumours is putting former team-mates Ronald De Boer and Barry Ferguson together for a potential management team. De Boer is currently a coach at Ajax and hasn’t hid his intentions of getting into management and bringing someone like former skipper Ferguson in as his number two could be a master-stroke.

Would be an ambitious move for Rangers but Glasgow still holds a place in De Boers heart and his experience and tactical knowledge along side Ferguson’s aggression and passion could be just what the current side needs. Also both men know what it takes to be a winner at Ibrox.

4. Walter Smith: The ultimate safe pair of hands is only days away from his 69th birthday but if anyone is capable of steering the ship in choppy waters its this man. Already a Rangers legend for steering them through their glory days of the 90’s but cemented his iconic status after coming back to clean up the mess left behind by the Paul Le Guen era. Winning 3 in a row and getting the club to a European Final.

But after leaving as a winner in 2011 it is unlikely Walter would want to risk his golden reputation at what currently seems like an impossible situation.

5. Lee Johnson: The Bristol City manager is very much in the same mould as current manager Mark Warburton with a growing experience down south of working with young players and bringing through some top talents.  Knows the English market very well and would be seen as a very shrewd appointment if they could pull it off.

This is another one that would need some significant financial commitment from the Rangers board to convince him to make the move and one it’s yet to be seen if they are willing to make.

6. Tommy Wright: The St Johnstone manager wouldn’t be seen as the most ambitious appointment by the Rangers support but the great work done on a shoe-string budget wont have gone unnoticed and it’s only a matter of time before a bigger club comes in for the former Northern Ireland international.

Not the most glamorous of names but could be one they regret not taking a chance on when he finally moves on to bigger things.

7. Alan Pardew: The former Newcastle United and Crystal Palace would have to take a major pay cut from what he is used to to come to Glasgow but the lure of a long term plan to get Rangers back into the Champions League could be enough to convince the one time candidate for the England job to make the move north.

With his years of experience in the top league in England and even winning the manager of the year 4 years ago he would be seen as a huge coup if Dave King could convince him his future was in Glasgow.

8. Julian Nagelsham: Probably the most ambitious and unlikely name mentioned on the list Hoffenheim manager would be an appointment with as much ambition and hope as the appointment of Paul Le Guen 10 years ago. At only 29 Nagelsham is the youngest manager in the Bundesliga history but would tick all the boxes for a potential successful manager for Rangers.

Has a strong philosophy of working and bringing through young players that would fit in well perfectly with Rangers who cant compete financially with Celtic. A known student of the European game he has already been linked with a potential move to Rangers in the German press.

9. Mark Samspon: The Welsh manager of the England’s women national team has been making his intentions of going into mens game clear after leading England to 3rd place in the world cup 2 years ago. Has already had offers from League 1 and Championship teams in England but the potential of European football, massive fan base and pressurised situation at Ibrox would be a dream move for the highly rated tactician.

Sampson was recently named as one of the most promising young managers in the

game.

10. Tim Sherwood: Despite moderate success as boss at Tottenham and Aston Villa Sherwood is another with a great track record of working with young players including the likes of Harry Kane and Kyle Walker as coach of Tottenham.

His keen knowledge and contacts list from the English youth leagues could be key to any move.

15 minutes ago, somersetbear said:

Number 6 of list above Tommy Wright,what he has done on a shoestring and hardly any fans is remarkable.

He has that fighting spirit and desire which we lack.

Would be my no 1 choice.

I am inclined to agree with that, he has done well at St J and seems to be a no nonsense type of guy that we need at the moment. 

20 minutes ago, somersetbear said:

Number 6 of list above Tommy Wright,what he has done on a shoestring and hardly any fans is remarkable.

He has that fighting spirit and desire which we lack.

Would be my no 1 choice.

Surely a minimum requirement for any old firm manager and not something we can appoint a manager on the basis of. St Johnstone have achieved nothing. A provincial non entity doing nothing extraordinary. Tommy Wright is a provincial mid table manager, not a Rangers manager. 

We are at the stage now where we actually need to appoint someone with a proven track record and someone with more experience than a few years in a job. We need a winner. A hungry animal who wants to win everything. A ruthless leader who will not accept the shite this crowd serve up every week. Someone who knows when he is manager of Rangers they must win every single week. 

I have posted this in another MW thread but will drop it here, as I would keep him:

Our overall league record for 9IAR:

P348, W230, D69, L49

Assuming 3 points for a win, that is an average of 2.18 points per game.

9IAR form would put us on 52 points so far this season. So we are only 9 behind that standard, after what has been a turbulent 4-5 year.

I would give MW more time. Look what he has do with Barrie McKay, if the next generation of youth player progress at the same rate we are in for a treat.

I would rather have a great side in 3-4 years, than a solid one now, full of journeymen and grafters.

6 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I have posted this in another MW thread but will drop it here, as I would keep him:

P348, W230, D69, L49

9IAR form would put us on 52 points so far this season. So we are only 9 behind that standard, after what has been a turbulent 4-5 year.

I would give MW more time. Look what he has do with Barrie McKay, if the next generation of youth player progress at the same rate we are in for a treat.

I would rather have a great side in 3-4 years, than a solid one now, full of journeymen and grafters.

A number of weeks I ago I raised the point that over a certain amount of matches, I think it was between last August till December, spanning I can't remember off-hand,Warburton's record till that point was better than Souness' first season August till September; but Souness went out and bought a player who made a real difference to his already existing attractive team. What I'm trying to say is two things. ! We write off Warburton too readily, and 2, he does not have the spending power of previous managers, which should preclude him, for the moment, of any instant comparison.

Manager should stay and be given time and money to improve the side , he has made mistakes but so does everyone, he should be given the chance in my opinion to rectify these.

Back the team and show support as we look to finish 2nd and lets see where it takes us too at the end of the season , then changes can be made if necessary. 

Let's not forget the lessons of 1988-89 Man U:

"...early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring, "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked"

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

P348, W230, D69, L49

Are you for real? The only reasom why we'll keep MW is because we can't afford to pay him off.

You can put as much spin on his performance as you like, but the fact remains he just can't / won't do what is required.

A 50% win rate is simply not acceptable. Being in 3rd place and 27 points off of the lead is not acceptable.

He will probably keep his job, but not because he deserves to, purely because we're skint and can't afford to pay him off.

15 minutes ago, Dietspam said:

I think Warburton makes a lot of good points Re where we have come from etc but the team is far too predictable. Changes are only made when they are forced by injuries

It's the simple fact he cannot change a game that has me baffled . Most good managers can read a game , look at smith in the 9 men cup final as the proof for that . He might have had more money than warburton but money can not give you that natural talent to manage a game like that and win . If warburton had even half that knowledge and skill we would be going somewhere but unfortunately nothing suggests to me he does . I know it is unfair to compare him on budget terms with previous managers but on management skills alone he does not compete and is more in line with ally than any of our great managers .

4 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

It's the simple fact he cannot change a game that has me baffled . Most good managers can read a game , look at smith in the 9 men cup final as the proof for that . He might have had more money than warburton but money can not give you that natural talent to manage a game like that and win . If warburton had even half that knowledge and skill we would be going somewhere but unfortunately nothing suggests to me he does . I know it is unfair to compare him on budget terms with previous managers but on management skills alone he does not compete and is more in line with ally than any of our great managers .

You have to wonder what ex managers like Sir Walter think about Warburton, they must have an opinion, do they look at the team or game and say "I wouldn't be doing that with this lot, not in this game, I'd change this or that"

We have all sorts of opinions on here regarding tatics but these guys are the ones who are the past experts.

I'd hope the board would ask these ex managers for their opinions.

30 minutes ago, Barbarrosa said:

Are you for real? The only reasom why we'll keep MW is because we can't afford to pay him off.

You can put as much spin on his performance as you like, but the fact remains he just can't / won't do what is required.

A 50% win rate is simply not acceptable.

Apart from season 93/94 when Walter Smith won the title with......

.......you've guessed it, a 50% win rate.

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

Let's not forget the lessons of 1988-89 Man U:

"...early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring, "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked"

Difference being Alex Ferguson already had a track record of success in Scotland,hard to compare Warburton's record in football prior to managing Rangers with Ferguson's success with Aberdeen.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

All the Opposition Managers Probably.

3 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Actually as far as the thread title goes, I think every other manager in the league :pipe:

100% agree. Must be a piece of piss setting up a team to play against us.