Pedro Ashamed after Sunday

Guest Lloyd72

Football is a simple game made complicated by coaches, I reckon they should put a hold on the overthinking and stop bypassing the basic fundimentals of the game.

one that can catch, three that can tackle, four that can pass and three that can score was the way Brian Clough described his team.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'm not denying there's a problem, but the issues are complex. Those illustrious names that you mention came from an industrial era that very much had football more ingrained into the fabric of society than it does now. It is unlikely we will see their like again, but we live in hope.

Agreed, folk back then saw football as an alternate way to get out of the working environment and had a desire to succeed.  As Shanks said  "If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."  Now the 'hunger' appears to get rich, not to be first.   Watched a great show on Schumacker and what made the difference between a 'really good' driver and a 'truly great' driver and if came down to a desire and hunger, ingrained in the psyche to be a winner.  Not sure how or if we can ever instill that winning mentality in today's generation.  

Like you I am less than optimistic. 

7 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Agreed, folk back then saw football as an alternate way to get out of the working environment and had a desire to succeed.  As Shanks said  "If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."  Now the 'hunger' appears to get rich, not to be first.   Watched a great show on Schumacker and what made the difference between a 'really good' driver and a 'truly great' driver and if came down to a desire and hunger, ingrained in the psyche to be a winner.  Not sure how or if we can ever instill that winning mentality in today's generation.  

Like you I am less than optimistic. 

It's a good point, about hunger and desire ingrained into someone and how much that contributes to raw talent; perhaps many footballers are not as hungry to succeed as they are in other parts.  Very few things get you going than seeing excellence at work, in whatever field, and you do get some impression when you see someone great at something that it is not without 100% dedication. Andy Murray is a good case in point; the hours he spends on the practice court and in the gym is quite a lot, and without doubt his hunger and drive have contributed to where he is now. 

“If it is a bad plan and everybody believes in it and tries to execute it then maybe it can become a good plan. When it is a brilliant plan but you don’t execute it then you will never know it so what we expect now is to have a good plan with good execution.

FFS, can you imagine Walter coming out with this utter shite?

3 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's a good point, about hunger and desire ingrained into someone and how much that contributes to raw talent; perhaps many footballers are not as hungry to succeed as they are in other parts.  Very few things get you going than seeing excellence at work, in whatever field, and you do get some impression when you see someone great at something that it is not without 100% dedication. Andy Murray is a good case in point; the hours he spends on the practice court and in the gym is quite a lot, and without doubt his hunger and drive have contributed to where he is now. 

Was thinking of another tennis player who could have been great on the women's circuit, Gabriella Sabatini, but she lacked that hunger as she came from a wealthy family and had the potential to make as much from modeling assignments, never reached her full potential. 

Remember reading Iain Wright's biography and he really lays it on the line how much dedication is needed to succeed. 

1 hour ago, gsa said:

Good football is good football whether it's fancy or not. A team from Israel with no budget passed Celtic off the pitch this season. 

You don't have to have a team of giants who play percentages just because  that's what's been done before in Scotland. 

I know what you're saying but again this type is thing is not suited for us for what we need right now 

3 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Was thinking of another tennis player who could have been great on the women's circuit, Gabriella Sabatini, but she lacked that hunger as she came from a wealthy family and had the potential to make as much from modeling assignments, never reached her full potential. 

Remember reading Iain Wright's biography and he really lays it on the line how much dedication is needed to succeed. 

And Iain Wright has a remarkable story really, in terms of coming into football late. A boy's own story!

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

I know what you're saying but again this type is thing is not suited for us for what we need right now 

We can argue all day about the style of football or the methodology. The fact is, we need 4 or 5 first 11 players with some quality as well as mentga toughness. 

I say "4 or 5" because I'm trying to be somewhat realistic and saying we need 8 or 9 is pointless, we aren't getting 8 or 9. 

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

And Iain Wright has a remarkable story really, in terms of coming into football late. A boy's own story!

The thing he did for itv where he just tasked into the camera was excellent. He's not everyone's cup of tea but you have to respect him.

His step dad was such a cunt that he put match of the day on when he was a kid then made him face the wall so he couldn't see the tv. 

He was cleaning toilets and reluctant to leave and take a chance on football because it was a steady job and he felt he was making good money. 

Just now, gsa said:

The thing he did for itv where he just tasked into the camera was excellent. He's not everyone's cup of tea but you have to respect him.

His step dad was such a cunt that he put match of the day on when he was a kid then made him face the wall so he couldn't see the tv. 

He was cleaning toilets and reluctant to leave and take a chance on football because it was a steady job and he felt he was making good money. 

I would like to have seen that. I know about his story about playing Sunday league football etc. 

20 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Hmmmmm, gorgeous Gabi.

35 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

The amount of snidey digs at the manager is ridiculous.

And the mongs who 'can't follow what he saying' or 'gave up at the first line' might want to apply for a job at the Daily Rhecord. 

I'm not interested in ripping the piss out the guy. I just want to see us improve and go into next season with a bit of believe but what is he saying when he talks about stimulations, adaptations, games being constructed of moments, the importance of transitions, or things like playing three strikers, and odd substitutions? I try to guess but so far I must be wrong as I see nothing good about most of our play.

We have people going on about some of us being too backwards to get it because Pedro's foreign but all the guy has done is tried to make us more physical and direct. It's what Scottish managers are good at. I actually like the fact he talked about injecting passion into us and making us more direct but we seem to be going backwards with no overall strategy or even ability to keep the ball. That's why it's weird that people are saying we don't understand his football because we're just dumb Scots. I understand it completely. He has us playing like Kilmarnock.

The same shite players used to get slaughtered at times for being too focused on possession even though we were controlling most matches. Now we can't pass or keep the ball. No doubt we'll improve but when your skint and can't buy right good players, you need to rely more on the team, so the system becomes even more important. We just look disjointed and completely without cohesion or a strategy.

Surely it's not a bad thing to want to see signs that we are doing something useful in training? Pedro can use all the buzz words he wants if we are doing well and I can see what he's doing when I watch the team. If it's shite though like recently then it's only natural that people are going to scrutinise his patter and relate it to the team before being critical if there is no correlation between the two. Talk of stimulations, adaptations, and the like or what country someone is from means nothing if all your seeing is junk football every game.

12 minutes ago, gsa said:

We can argue all day about the style of football or the methodology. The fact is, we need 4 or 5 first 11 players with some quality as well as mentga toughness. 

I say "4 or 5" because I'm trying to be somewhat realistic and saying we need 8 or 9 is pointless, we aren't getting 8 or 9. 

No disagreement there - for all I've said the style/tactics isn't what we need we need some investment and a lot higher caliber of player for any system to work good or bad

4 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

“If it is a bad plan and everybody believes in it and tries to execute it then maybe it can become a good plan. When it is a brilliant plan but you don’t execute it then you will never know it so what we expect now is to have a good plan with good execution.”

Riddle me this, riddle me that. Not a Batman fan by any means but fuck sake I was picturing the Adam west Joker when trying to figure out the above quote.

Joking aside, there is obvious language barriers when he speaks in interviews where he doesn't quite get his football philosophy across as I think he wants to portray.

There was glimpses in there that I feel, shows he may actually get the club, our values.......everything but I just don't think the penny has dropped with him that the players just aren't Rangers class/quality.

In fact I fear instead of trying to get the best out of them for the remaining games before issuing P45's, he may actually think he can turn this Dirty Dozen into footballers.

59 minutes ago, FSM said:

“If it is a bad plan and everybody believes in it and tries to execute it then maybe it can become a good plan. When it is a brilliant plan but you don’t execute it then you will never know it so what we expect now is to have a good plan with good execution.

FFS, can you imagine Walter coming out with this utter shite?

I think what he meant by that was “Some plans may be bad but by putting effort in you can turn it around and make it good. Some plans may be brilliant plans but with no effort how do you expect the plan to work. We expect a plan to be followed and executed well.

Pedro is not a stupid man but I think lvl5 should offer him a translation service whilst doing interviews his English is a bit rusty. Thing is, is there anyone in the team that can speak Portuguese to help him out there until he's up to speed?.

Just now, Sweetheart said:

I think what he meant by that was “Some plans may be bad but by putting effort in you can turn it around and make it good. Some plans may be brilliant plan but with no effort how do you expect the plan to work. We expect a plan to be followed and executed well.

I think lvl5 should offer him a translation service whilst doing interviews his English is a bit rusty. Thing is is there anyone in the team that can speak Portuguese to help him out there until he's up to speed..

His English is fine imo 

right, he's been here about 7 weeks now and I've realised that he can talk a good game, I'm no sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...I'm up for Saturday again, I'm no sure if he's just this charasmatic guy who'll tell me what I want to hear but inevitably let me down.

11 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

right, he's been here about 7 weeks now and I've realised that he can talk a good game, I'm no sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...I'm up for Saturday again, I'm no sure if he's just this charasmatic guy who'll tell me what I want to hear but inevitably let me down.

He wasn't my first choice but he deserves a fair crack of the whip. Time will tell but with what i've seen so far I'm liking him.  Team was crying out for someone to take training seriously and his sports physcology is a bonus because our team need a better mentality. I'm liking that he is involving fans by explaining what he is doing, telling us as it is and not coming out with the stock phrase 'we need to do better'.  I've still to judge on player choice and consistency. I'm giving him until Xmas to prove I was wrong

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

As much as I don't think the manager is the man for Rangers I want him to succeed, and I don't think that is the best way he should be reacting to a defeat, any defeat, not as manager; it is his job to absorb defeat, and to handle victory also in a similar way. I think he needs advice on how to handle things; this is a new experience for him, and anyone going into a new environment would find it hard at first. Hopefully he adjusts to all the things that can come his way managing this great club, but he needs to do that soon. I really like Johansson, and it's a clever decision to make him a coach here, but I think Caixhina could do with someone who has an even bigger experience of the club at his side, even if only at the beginning.

He had somebody in Jim Stewart and he let him go which is a decision I've not understood since it was announced (there were rumours that Stewart is retiring).

I know Caixinha wanted to bring his own goalkeeping coach with him but if he was insistent on doing that then I don't know why he didn't just move Stewart into the local assistant role rather than let him go and then go on to interview four or five people who all had far less experience of what being at the club in a coaching capacity entails.

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

He had somebody in Jim Stewart and he let him go which is a decision I've not understood since it was announced (there were rumours that Stewart is retiring).

I know Caixinha wanted to bring his own goalkeeping coach with him but if he was insistent on doing that then I don't know why he didn't just move Stewart into the local assistant role rather than let him go and then go on to interview four or five people who all had far less experience of what being at the club in a coaching capacity entails.

I totally agree with you about Jim Stewart, and having him there would be invaluable right now. I'm concerned that no-one is really there who has the whole lot of experience of the club at that level.