I’m Offended! Oh So Offended!

1 hour ago, ForeverAndEver said:

It's not banter imo.

It's hatred, and quite rightly so.

Off Topic, I was watching the game v Bayern in 1972 on YouTube and the Rangers fans were singing go home ya H***.

We used to call the taigs H***. It was the press when we played wolves that changed it. The taigs have nothing original except pumping weans 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Then why is the OP greeting about blow-up dolls etc? Poor wee snowflake.

I don't think the OP is greeting about anything tbh. Just stating the two facedness of some people and how there are far more things to worry about than the words of a song. 

I cba getting excited about it either way. It's a song 

Just now, BluebearDory said:

I don't think the OP is greeting about anything tbh. Just stating the two facedness of some people and how there are far more things to worry about than the words of a song. 

I cba getting excited about it either way. It's a song 

Two-facedness in complaining that 'offensive beahviour' is highlighted while highlighting 'offensive behaviour'?

Just now, Queen's_highway said:

We used to call the taigs H***. It was the press when we played wolves that changed it. The taigs have nothing original except pumping weans 

A know mate, just had never heard it sung from us before.

They're an ironic bunch a tarrier bastards.

45 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

The song itself, and the variety of responses to it highlight the existential crisis that is gradually developing within the support.

So much of the tradition and history of the club is steeped in the protestant religion. But there are huge swathes of the support which no longer follow this religion, and indeed many now hold a growing feeling of disdain and almost anger towards it. So it's a culture which is hollowing itself out from the centre. 

Taking a shitey song from the 80s and clumsily bunging in "we hate catholics", it's almost a parody of what many wish to portray as the stereotypical Rangers fan. 

Bravo... Nail. On. Head.

As so hilariously depicted in the recent Trainspotting sequel. The whole world is now in on the joke.

Let's be honest here. No-one is really offended. But certainly everyone is pointing.

And laughing.

Really fucking laughing.

Fun Fact: The song is actually a Tommy James and The Shondells original from the 1960s (no, not the 1690s).

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

A know mate, just had never heard it sung from us before.

They're an ironic bunch a tarrier bastards.

We were also the first to do a huddle and also wear hoops. They're now singing the drifters song. They're fucking embarrassing

Just now, WadeWilson said:

Bravo... Nail. On. Head.

As so hilariously depicted in the recent Trainspotting sequel. The whole world is now in on the joke.

Let's be honest here. No-one is really offended. But certainly everyone is pointing.

And laughing.

Really fucking laughing.

Fun Fact: The song is actually a Tommy James and The Shondells song.

I couldn't stop laughing

Not 

1 hour ago, Virtuoso said:

That's exactly what I said in the OP - it doesn't detract from the rest though.

I think it completely detracts from it, if he has three key points and two of them are nonsense then it casts doubt on his ability to form a credible judgement in the rest of it, his compaision to the 60s & 70s highlights his naivety, the world has moved on since then, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst, people who say "sticks and stones" when defending racism probably haven't been on the receiving end of it, TV shows like Love Thy Neighbour were OK to produce back then, you'd get the a jail if you tried to produce that now and you'd likely be swerved if you admitted you watched that type of show.

The lad who did it has been publicly shamed, he's probably had the fright of his life and some employers might not touch him with a barge pole, I think it'll be a life lesson he'll have to learn from but as I said in another thread, I hope he gets a 2nd chance, one moment of sheer stupidity when you're at boiling point shouldn't be the beginnig and end of your story.

10 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

When I was young they were indeed called H***, and the chant "go home ya H***!" was directed at them at every opportunity due to their Nazi sympathies during The Second World War.  Parkhead was also threatened with closure as they wanted to hold a Nazi rally there and there was incident at Dundee in the mid '30's when thousands of them gave the Nazi salute, I'm sure there are a few more which someone will  know about.

Just now, rbt1548 said:

When I was young they were indeed called H***, and the chant "go home ya H***!" was directed at them at every opportunity due to their Nazi sympathies during The Second World War.  Parkhead was also threatened with closure as they wanted to hold a Nazi rally there and there was incident at Dundee in the mid '30's when thousands of them gave the Nazi salute, I'm sure there are a few more which someone will  know about.

The H*** where the germans in ww1 but I know what you mean and why they were called it due to their disgusting acts in ww2

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Two-facedness in complaining that 'offensive beahviour' is highlighted while highlighting 'offensive behaviour'?

No he posted an article for discussion that he agrees with. I personally think the article is a shit mish mash. It raises some good points about bears grassing each other etc then pisses all over its own foot by claiming there is nothing to suggest it is linked to Rangers. Seriously??

As for the song, I can't get offended. If they sang 'we hate orange bastards' to Tiffany I would struggle to keep a straight face let alone get angry:lol:

2 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

https://daviesleftpeg.wordpress.com/2017/05/01/im-offended-oh-so-offended/comment-page-1/#comment-180

Only issue with the above is this:

Considering it's undeniably Bears in the video / in a supporters bash - then there's no denying it's connected to us.

Hard to argue with the rest of it though.

Great article!image.gif.f52e35ddad6bc61406b84ba7404b40ac.gif

1 hour ago, deco19761 said:

Any cultural events I am involved in people are TOLD they will be ejected from the premises and their phones smashed if.they are caught using them to take videos etc.  That's the way it should be. 

Exactly the way it should be. Iv got videos of some nights but they are private and don't get posted on Facebook/Twitter etc, I wouldn't film at one now just causes too much grief

For years celtic fans in my work would say "celtic fans don't sing sectarian songs" then when you'd show them videos of fans singing up the ra in English towns they'd say "that's not in the stadium,  they could just be hangers on"

So I'm going to take the same attitude,  as long as it's not sung at Ibrox or at games then it's nothing to do with us, same as dozens of other loyalist songs etc

3 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

https://daviesleftpeg.wordpress.com/2017/05/01/im-offended-oh-so-offended/comment-page-1/#comment-180

Only issue with the above is this:

Considering it's undeniably Bears in the video / in a supporters bash - then there's no denying it's connected to us.

Hard to argue with the rest of it though.

It's not illegal to hate Catholics and I don't discriminate as I hate them all equally