Kevin Thomson - Niko can get back to his best at Rangers

Guest Lloyd72

14 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I doubt that with some of the new signings we 

He may have a deft touch at times and pick out a pass or two, but no pace and just a luxury we can ill afford. We have to grind out results in a physical game that is Scotland. 

To win this league we need to beat the scum and they won't be standing off him, being a very mobile and physical team and indeed with more technically gifted than him. We need to close them down all over the park, so it doesn't stack up. 10 years ago, maybe. Yes, we need creativity as well, but if we look at probaility with him, the chances are very slim as you need to get on the ball in the first place.

Not what we need.

We should just sign 11 Ross Tokelys then.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lloyd72

In the first progres game we saw the best and worst of him tbh, he is great technically can pick passes anywhere for fun but when he loses the ball he can't get it back and we're a man down. Can't afford that in games against the sheep or the taigs, even against hibs he'd struggle imo

57 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

He's still got quality and although it was a friendly, he was still a stand out against a very good team. 

He has plenty to offer, even against them. 

The last time against them before Knee injury his arms moved faster than his legs against them and he was very poor.

This is up there with Rossiters going to be a worldbeater.

6 minutes ago, Smile said:

The last time against them before Knee injury his arms moved faster than his legs against them and he was very poor.

This is up there with Rossiters going to be a worldbeater.

Agreed. He was woeful that day. Still reckon he was unfit though. 

Look, if he goes into the next old firm and gets circles run around him then I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong. But I still think he'll surprise a few this season.

Also, please don't compare my point of view to the Rossiter fantasists. 

Bloody hell I have seen some posts on this forum.

I remember Gazza being damn near useless for almost 85 mins in some games and then his light would switch on and he would turn the genius on and BOOM you got the fantastic player he was that took our breath away.

Niko is never going to track back, it is not his way, never has been from his career but he can read a football field like few others and knows how to move the ball on and when to move when he needs to. Yes he is older and does not waste energy as he knows going  forward is his best option not chasing back covering defenders who should be there doing their job anyway or the DM/DM's getting back to cover his gap as he will always default to the middle when they counter.

I do however agree wholeheartedly he is not someone for an old firm game, that kind of match is a step too far and not suited to his abilities now but against teams that set up with the entire team behind the ball this is the man you want in with the ball to feet picking out the pass. So we potentially lose him for 4/6 games (cup games included) and he could be a huge difference to us.

Personally Niko is someone we need for me and I think we will see the benefit when he is playing regularly outside of the old firm games.

Horses for courses.   Maybe he'll start more games at Ibrox against the lesser teams and get a 60min shift where there is more of a need to break down a stubborn defence with his vision and range of passing but only maybe coming off the bench for games against the better teams where its vital we have 10 outfield players who can make an effective contribution to defending as well as attacking.   Same for away games, selectively used depending on the opposition we're facing.   

7 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Aye, like when the ball was pinged in at him and he flicked it round a guy who has 40+ caps for Brazil, a UCL, Bundesliga etc etc, won a FK and pinged it top bag. 

Useless. 

Yassssss using a free kick to make him seem a class player.

Maybe we should sign Beckham anawl then he can still hit a good dead ball.

5 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Yeah, let's ignore the part before that to suit your narrative. 

Okay, he done a flick by a good midfielder in a pre season game, excellent, I take it all back what a player I'll be buying a Kranjcar 19 Barcelona top after his move which is surely right round the corner. 

27 minutes ago, RDFM said:

Okay, he done a flick by a good midfielder in a pre season game, excellent, I take it all back what a player I'll be buying a Kranjcar 19 Barcelona top after his move which is surely right round the corner. 

He wouldn't have been able to if he fit your description of someone who is useless unless given 5 minutes to pick out a pass...

12 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

He wouldn't have been able to if he fit your description of someone who is useless unless given 5 minutes to pick out a pass...

Yes you are quite right, I did literally mean he requires 5 minutes. We done? 

Just now, psb07158 said:

Obviously you didn't, but you meant he needs loads of time on the ball, which he obviously doesn't. 

He clearly does, one flick in a meaningless friendly means nothing compared to his poor performances in actual meaningful games both this season and last. Face it, the guy has been finished since 2015, his stint in America's second tier should've been enough for Warburton to realise it. 

4 hours ago, plumbGER said:

MOH- shite because he is a headless chicken with no football brain.

Niko- good football brain but doesn't run around like a headless chicken much so is shite.

If only we could clone them and get a player with no football brain who is also slow as fuck!