Playing / Working for Rangers Against Being a Fan

McEwan's Lager

Was thinking about this last night.

See when I was a kid all I wanted to do with my life was play for Rangers then become the Manager. I'm sure 99% of us wanted the same. I realised when I was about 14/15 I was never going to be good enough to be a professional footballer at any level let alone play for Rangers.

But I was thinking if you were playing you couldn't go out after the game. Or have a carry out before it. No away days with your mates. No bus trips. No singing in the stands. All the things i enjoy you could no longer do. Plus all that expectation on you knowing if you play shite you are letting down your family and friends.

See if the tooth fairy came to me now and said you could swap it all to play for Rangers - I honestly don't know if I would.

3 minutes ago, centenarystand said:

I know id like the chance to tell that cunt griffiths what i think of him then run my studs down his eyes on the park.

:lol:

Actually I think I said it on here after the match but see the Hibs game earlier in the season it also confirmed to me that I don't have the temprement to be a professional footballer. 

I'd be sine died after a few Kevin Muscat red mist moments!

Aye bet Laudrup woke up after every game thinking, "What a shite life, could of been on the Glassy bus with my top off going tonto yesterday".

Fuck that, retire early 30s with enough money to never work again - can do all that for the rest of your life.

I remember having proper real dreams of playing for Rangers. But it was always one of those sort of dreams where the ball would get rolled to you for a tap in and I'd miss the ball completely. 

I used to have Colin McAdam and Dougie Bell in my school and always hassled them about what it was like playing for Rangers, Colin never really wanted to talk about it too much plus his knees were fucked so couldn't play anymore, but I played with/against Dougie Bell every lunch time and he had amazing ability. Although Colin used to still play long shots in PE, if you stood a foot off the line, he could still manage to chip you. Unreal the way he could make a ball move in the air. You would think it was going flying over the bar, then in just dropped like a brick right at the last second always catching everyone off guard. Amazing ability to still have considering he basically just stood still. 

RIP big man. 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

See when I was a kid all I wanted to do with my life was play for Rangers then become the Manager. I'm sure 99% of us wanted the same. I realised when I was about 14/15 I was never going to be good enough to be a professional footballer at any level let alone play for Rangers.

But I was thinking if you were playing you couldn't go out after the game. Or have a carry out before it. No away days with your mates. No bus trips. No singing in the stands. All the things i enjoy you could no longer do. Plus all that expectation on you knowing if you play shite you are letting down your family and friends.

See if the tooth fairy came to me now and said you could swap it all to play for Rangers - I honestly don't know if I would.

Have u seen our players, they go out alright. They will go and watch other games, in fact I've seen some on twitter talking about it.

If your like me then u still love football whether it's playing it or watching it. These guys get paid big bucks to play it for the club we love.

I reckon I could be 80 and I'd still dream of being a footballer.

52 minutes ago, BEE said:

Aye bet Laudrup woke up after every game thinking, "What a shite life, could of been on the Glassy bus with my top off going tonto yesterday".

Fuck that, retire early 30s with enough money to never work again - can do all that for the rest of your life.

Maybe not the Glassy but would have changed his mind if it was the Sandbank with @Mr Soprano and company.

59 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Footballers nowadays are mercenaries and if you were lucky enough to be able to play football professionally there's not a chance you'd play for the team you supported if a club down south offered you triple the wage you'd get with us.

It's a fallacy to believe players from years ago are inherently different to the ones we have now. Put any of our past greats in to this era and they would be swayed by money too. 

It's not the players that are different it's the times 

24 minutes ago, cameron1873 said:

It's a fallacy to believe players from years ago are inherently different to the ones we have now. Put any of our past greats in to this era and they would be swayed by money too. 

It's not the players that are different it's the times 

Of course they would, the difference is that the money wasn't there so loyalties were easier to stick too as there was nothing else turning their heads. 

4 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The money they are in now compared to when we were kids is night and day, players retired and bought a pub now they want to buy a small island or country when they retire. 

I would just sit in playing pro evo online under a different name as it's a short career that could mean you never need to work again when you retire.  Can't be that bad a life ? 

2 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

The money they are in now compared to when we were kids is night and day, players retired and bought a pub now they want to buy a small island or country when they retire. 

I would just sit in playing pro evo online under a different name as it's a short career that could mean you never need to work again when you retire.  Can't be that bad a life ? 

Yeah of course the money would be brilliant.

I'm more getting at how great it is to be in the stands at an away game singing with your mates and how I don't think I could swap it for anything.

It would kill me if I was like Halliday and ultimately the fans getting on your back cause your not good enough.

I was probably thinking about this last night because although I've been to Luxembourg and Sheffield this season, last night was my first away game in the league since St Johnstone in 2012.

I dreamed of scoring against them and the piggery up, at their  end so I could just run to the jungle and get tore into those cunts.  

Even then I knew I hated them for life and to this day I have never touched a celtic scarf, strip etc and I was brought up,a stone throw from their shit hole  

39 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah of course the money would be brilliant.

I'm more getting at how great it is to be in the stands at an away game singing with your mates and how I don't think I could swap it for anything.

It would kill me if I was like Halliday and ultimately the fans getting on your back cause your not good enough.

I was probably thinking about this last night because although I've been to Luxembourg and Sheffield this season, last night was my first away game in the league since St Johnstone in 2012.

I was at school with Alex Rae when he was with our youth set up, Souness took over the season we left and he was released and went to Dundee or somewhere , my sister was in Iain Fergusons classes at Riverside school , springfeild rd pulled down in the 80's , Fergie had to give up his cronies in parkhead or he was gone, he luckily did it and the rest is history .

His sister stayed across from us when he signed for the bears and it was great to see someone  live the dream and go on to be one of the most successful Rangers players ever.