The Case for keeping Pedro

Bluepeter9

Just now, siddiqi_drinker said:

Get what you are saying but even Man U's patience would have run out if he hadn't won the cup.  

Personally, I'd give him till Xmas to turn it around that's even assuming we can afford to pay him off.  Then the small matter of who we can afford to bring in?  

As others have said, if it goes that way then it has to be wallets out and big Sam Allardyce or someone who will make the players sh1t themselves and sit up and take notice. I believe PC should be given more time but even I'm worried by the blind faith in Josh Windass and the patience shown with Pena. I want to see Nemane get a start on Wednesday and Kenny back in the #10 role, or Herrera, but surely to God Windass has had it now. Pena was fucking dreadful against Well, TBH

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Torontoblue76 said:

As others have said, if it goes that way then it has to be wallets out and big Sam Allardyce or someone who will make the players sh1t themselves and sit up and take notice. I believe PC should be given more time but even I'm worried by the blind faith in Josh Windass and the patience shown with Pena. I want to see Nemane get a start on Wednesday and Kenny back in the #10 role, or Herrera, but surely to God Windass has had it now. Pena was fucking dreadful against Well, TBH

Allardyce walked away from Palace due to a lack of funds, I assume you can see where I'm going.  

Windass should have been shown the door in the summer, Pena doesnt seem interested, I'd play Nemane on the left against Killie.

Oh and if you are near the St Lawrence market, send me some peameal bacon.  :whistle:

17 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Get what you are saying but even Man U's patience would have run out if he hadn't won the cup.  

Personally, I'd give him till Xmas to turn it around that's even assuming we can afford to pay him off.  Then the small matter of who we can afford to bring in?  

Yeah but our next chance of winning a cup will be the Scottish Cup in late May. He can't get that long. He shouldn't even be getting until Kilmarnock on Wednesday if I'm honest. 

21 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Allardyce walked away from Palace due to a lack of funds, I assume you can see where I'm going.  

Windass should have been shown the door in the summer, Pena doesnt seem interested, I'd play Nemane on the left against Killie.

Oh and if you are near the St Lawrence market, send me some peameal bacon.  :whistle:

aha. Yes I can re:: big Sam. Agree re: Windass etc. I now live on the West Coast - must update my avatar!

53 minutes ago, Torontoblue76 said:

Same team apart from the two injuries we picked up in semi. Cb and Gk

The only case as I can see it for keeping Pedro C is that we cannot afford the costs involved with sacking him. His pay off and yet another clearout of an over priced and over paid squad. His results to date both this season and last have been dire. Personally I think we would have been no worse of if we had kept Murty as a Caretaker. I am not saying Murty was the answer ( McInnes would have been my choice) but we would not have wasted so much money.

Can he turn it around with time? I am uncertain. Against Motherwell we were dominating the game right up until their first goal. The turning point for me was the Bowman Cardoso broken nose. 1) Bowman should have been sent off, however 2) Pedro C reaction in getting himself sent to the stands meant that any leadership he could have provided was lost. By getting himself sent to the stands it was almost as if he had given up. The players then appeared to follow suit and capitulate. I am also very concerned about the way in which he has handled Miller. That was the sort of game that Miller’s experience would have been invaluable. It appears that Miller was not the leak but instead has rattled Pedro C’s cage by questioning the manner in which things ar Rangers are heading. There is a valid argument that Miller is past it and that his performance levels this season do not merit selection. However there is also a concern that we have a Manager that cannot recognise his own failings and cannot accept criticism. 

At the same time I recognise a lot of what the OP says. We expect success because of who we are. That expectation is dangerous and hinders genuine organic growth. I just cannot see what the Board we’re trying to achieve (other than unearthing the next Mourinho) in recruiting Pedro. There was nothing on his CV, apart from his nationality to suggest he that sort of potential- and actually the priority should have been a safe pair of hands that could rebuild the Club sensibly/ safely and  understood the basic requirements of Managing Rangers.

What we have with Pedro C is a circus that completely distracts. Bull and Vampires is not the Rangers way. The writing has been on the wall since he first arrived- the record loss to celtic, the ending of the Aberdeen record, the Luxembourg failure- how much more writing do we need. It now looks to me as if he i waiting to be paid off, and that is the most worrying sign of all. His criticism of his players the day after he said he accepted full responsibility suggest to me that he is finished in his own mind. 

1. We are not progressing

2. There are clear signs that Pedro does not have any clue what he is going to do or say from one minute to the next.

3. A lot of money has been spent and we see no signs any of it being spent well apart from perhaps wee Morelos.

4. He talks about winning and team improvements with not an ounce of fact to support it. I have a strong feeling he didn't want to face celtic in a final anyway.

5. His blaming of players (who totally deserve blame from us but they are his players) is a typical cowardly tactic of a desperate drowning man.

6. Like the Scottish gov. we hear a lot of wind, promises, and hot air. Some small minded lap it up.It's still sh*te.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Yeah but our next chance of winning a cup will be the Scottish Cup in late May. He can't get that long. He shouldn't even be getting until Kilmarnock on Wednesday if I'm honest. 

it all comes down to the cost of replacing him and if the board can meet that cost. I think they will wait until Christmas or next summer then he will get the bump.

24 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

1. We are not progressing

2. There are clear signs that Pedro does not have any clue what he is going to do or say from one minute to the next.

3. A lot of money has been spent and we see no signs any of it being spent well apart from perhaps wee Morelos.

4. He talks about winning and team improvements with not an ounce of fact to support it. I have a strong feeling he didn't want to face celtic in a final anyway.

5. His blaming of players (who totally deserve blame from us but they are his players) is a typical cowardly tactic of a desperate drowning man.

6. Like the Scottish gov. we hear a lot of wind, promises, and hot air. Some small minded lap it up.It's still sh*te.

:bow: :thumbup: To a T. 

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

He shouldn’t have lasted past Progrès

8 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Who were the morons that though it a good idea to give this guy a three year contract and upwards of 5-10 million to spend??? Just look at that career summary, fucking hell... :megaanguish:

Screenshot_20171024-100852.png

The highest he’d finished in the league as manager before us was 7th iirc

4 minutes ago, Siwel said:

The highest he’d finished in the league as manager before us was 7th iirc

I'd read some comments about his prior experience record, and knew he'd come from a middle Eastern team. But I didn't realise he'd been round so many clubs in so many assistant roles. Surely that must've rung alarm bells... Managers tend to stick with an assistant they like.

He had five assistant jobs in six years, does that sound like the record of a guy who's going to be a good manager? 

Just now, Gman36 said:

I'd read some comments about his prior experience record, and knew he'd come from a middle Eastern team. But I didn't realise he'd been round so many clubs in so many assistant roles. Surely that must've rung alarm bells... Managers tend to stick with an assistant they like.

He had five assistant jobs in six years, does that sound like the record of a guy who's going to be a good manager? 

Whoever looked at his CV and said aye this is the man to stop the taigs, Needs sacked

On 23/10/2017 at 08:25, Bluepeter9 said:

Getting where we want to go takes patience - I know many have none and think patience is somehow accepting second best. It's not l! it's what is required. Chopping and changing managers is NOT the answer. 

We are progressing - this squad is better than MWs squad - MWs squad was better than Ally's squad. This squad gives us something to build on. SAF SAID ABOUT 50% of transfers work. We made wholesale changes last summer ( something many fans wanted) and the squad needs strengthened and some players transitioned but we need to wait for transfer windows to happen. 

Many of us carry a sense of entitlement that we 'should' win - I expect that myself but it's not reality - even our great teams got beat - sometimes even a few times a season. This squad is not a great team, yet, but it is a good team and it will become a better team over time. 

Pedro has brought in a lot of players - and like with MW there learning curve is steep - not every player can tack it at Rangers, that doesn't make them bad players, that just makes them wrong for Rangers - most Managers say it takes a player 6 months or so to adapt and we ain't even there with most of these players. I like the squad Pedro has, I can see it gives us something to build on. What I think would be folly would be to start again, again. Patience is required and the time to evaluate is, at a minimum, the end of the season but for me it would be end of next season. 

On King and the board providing funds - we must maintain a sustainable financial model - overspending is what led us here - sacking yet another manager and transitioning into another managers squad vision is expensive so I think the board should hold its nerve and back Pedro through and beyond next summers transfer window. 

Absolutely spot on....Changing the manager isn't a guarantee that things will dramatically improve.

All it does it create instability and sometimes its better to stick with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

I'll probably get dogs abuse but id much rather maintain the 'win 2 games then drop points in the 3rd game' cycle and witness gradual improvement in play and squad than sack the management team and bring in a new manager (who lets face it, isn't going to be a big name with a trophy haul) with new training regimes, tactics and go-to players. I cant recall any team who has sustained a level of success when constantly changing backroom staff.

The elephant in the room is celtic's perceived march towards 9/10 in a row.

If that does happen its a hollow record given we weren't in the league for 4 of the seasons and i for one couldn't really give a fuck.

Id much rather have a stable club than one built on shifting sands. If that means celtic winning the league for another few years then so be it. 

Just now, Gman36 said:

Stayed two miles from Al gharafa ground when he was the manager , went to a couple of games along with another 15 or so who bothered. He finished 5th and 7th and was fuckin clueless in a ridiculously poor league. Spent most of his time sun bathing in his compound , should never have been given the job.

1 minute ago, beararse said:

Absolutely spot on....Changing the manager isn't a guarantee that things will dramatically improve.

All it does it create instability and sometimes its better to stick with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

I'll probably get dogs abuse but id much rather maintain the 'win 2 games then drop points in the 3rd game' cycle and witness gradual improvement in play and squad than sack the management team and bring in a new manager (who lets face it, isn't going to be a big name with a trophy haul) with new training regimes, tactics and go-to players. I cant recall any team who has sustained a level of success when constantly changing backroom staff.

If that does happen its a hollow record given we weren't in the league for 4 of the seasons and i for one couldn't really give a fuck.

Id much rather have a stable club than one built on shifting sands. If that means celtic winning the league for another few years then so be it. 

Riddy.

Talk of sacking Pedro is just that. Talk.

We have no idea who to replace him with for a start. New manager is going to want to build his own squad. I doubt we have the money for that. New manager means yet another rebuilding project and when that looks like failing what do we do next ?

We need a period of stability and more patience than most Bears have.

4 minutes ago, beararse said:

Absolute fucking nonsense.

Get a grip of yersel ffs.