Faifley to remember local men who sadly lost their lives in the Ibrox disaster.

LochendBilly

Nice touch. Shame it doesn't say what day it's on as I'm home this weekend and have a sister in the area, so might have tried to get along. Anyone know?

Also thought the disaster was the worse until Hillsborough. Is it not also Ibrox Park or stadium? Never heard of Rangers stadium. Where's this article from op? It's like the author is foreign.

Hope they get a good turn out. Nice to see a council doing something like this.

This is nice fitting tribute to the lives lost, i had no idea where Faifley was so like i do with everything i googled it and had a wee read about the place and it's history. It looks like it has lost a lot of it's tradition and shrunk in size to be swallowed up by a neighbouring place so it's good the peoole there are remembering these Bears.

6 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Nice touch. Shame it doesn't say what day it's on as I'm home this weekend and have a sister in the area, so might have tried to get along. Anyone know?

Also thought the disaster was the worse until Hillsborough. Is it not also Ibrox Park or stadium? Never heard of Rangers stadium. Where's this article from op? It's like the author is foreign.

I will try find out what day mate, it's the local community council behind it, not the local authority so no surprise there. I lifted it from the Clydebank Post which is not known for accuracy.  http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/16121471.Faifley_community_to_remember_local_men_who_died_in_Ibrox_Disaster/

20 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Meeting 11am for an 1130am start on Saturday mate.

31 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

I will try find out what day mate, it's the local community council behind it, not the local authority so no surprise there. I lifted it from the Clydebank Post which is not known for accuracy.  http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/16121471.Faifley_community_to_remember_local_men_who_died_in_Ibrox_Disaster/

I remember that wee paper. Always full of stories about crimes in Yoker instead of about the cunts up to shite in Clydebank. Must not like the Glasgow boys or something :lol:

Or maybe Yoker has more nutters than I remember lol

3 hours ago, tango said:

This memorial has been nearly a year in the making and has been supported by all of the people of the area including the local taigs bus , one of their members has been involved from the start of the project . I live down in Duntocher so will definitely be in attendance,  the 66 should never be forgotten ??

Likewise neighbour, i'm sure there will be a good turnout for this. RIP The 66

6 hours ago, William McBeath said:

It says "Rangers' stadium".

As in the stadium belongs to Rangers.

If he had got it wrong and thought the stadium was called that in the article it would have been "Rangers' Stadium".

On a side note, if you read programmes from the 50s and 60s the ground is often referred to as "The Stadium" in the notes. Which I quite like.

Here's an example of it in the programme against Thirds from 50/51 season:

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.00.15 pm.png

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It says "Rangers' stadium".

As in the stadium belongs to Rangers.

If he had got it wrong and thought the stadium was called that in the article it would have been "Rangers' Stadium".

On a side note, if you read programmes from the 50s and 60s the ground is often referred to as "The Stadium" in the notes. Which I quite like.

Here's an example of it in the programme against Thirds from 50/51 season:

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.00.15 pm.png

33 years unbeaten at home. Same old Rangers, always winning :guiness:

Aye yer right about the stadium too. Am I right in thinking our disaster was the worse before Hillsborough? Can't even think of any others that came close.

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

But back on track this is brilliant to see.

Won't make it up there for Saturday but will definitely be up to have a look in the near future. 

Aye, think I'll miss it too as my sister is working so would be a bit of a trek from where I'll be staying the weekend. Thinking about taking the weans to the pictures or that Scotcart though so might still make it and take them afterwards. Good way to teach kids to respect our past. Same with things like remembrence day. Its unbelievable the sacrifices our forefathers made and yet I dont think a lot of people do anything. Even if Im in the house I have them standing to attention in front of the TV lol. It's the least we should do for all them heroes. Would be nice for the family members of these Rangers boys if a decent wee group was there to pay their respects. I've wondered about them quite a few times over the years since being told about it as a wean. We must all be the same whether we were alive or not. Shame the club isn't sending someone. Maybe they don't even know right enough as I'd be strong about things like this if I was running the place and we are usually top class when it comes to honouring our past and people. Any idea if the club knows mate as there is still time to get something sorted? Would probably mean the world to the family.

If they don't know could any social media bears send them a tweet or whatever way people talk to them these days?

Another piece in The Clydebank post from a local councillor.

"On Saturday morning, I was in attendance at a very special and moving event in Faifley along with more than 150 others.

This event, highlighted in last week’s Post and covered by them on the day, was organised by Faifley Community Council and has been two years in the making (since the Faifley Community Council was reformed in fact).

It was to mark the deaths of three local men who left the Doublet public house on January 2, 1971 to attend a Rangers v celtic football match and were to perish when staircase 13 collapsed and they died alongside 63 other football fans in a tragedy remembered today as the Ibrox Disaster. More than 200 other fans were injured on that day.

George Adams, 43, Charles Dougan, 31, and John Gardiner, 32, left Faifley on that fateful day and never returned home.

Following the sale and demolition of the Doublet Public House over the last two years, a member of the Hardgate celtic Supporters Club, John Maxwell, was in discussion with a number of people who had drank in the bar, where the local Rangers Supporters Club bus left from, about how George, John and Charles were remembered and how they could be honoured in some way by the local community.

John was encouraged to speak to Claire Gallagher, chairperson of Faifley Community Council, and the idea was born.

All the members of the community council agreed that something should be done and a plaque was commissioned to remember the tragedy and the affect it had on the families and the community.

Faifley Housing Association, who owns the land opposite the Doublet site, readily gave permission for the plaque to be installed.

Members of the extended families were present on the day, including Mr Dougan’s son who had crossed the Atlantic for a family wedding and was rather fortuitously going to be in the area to visit his mum.

I would like to think it was divine intervention. I spoke to Mrs Dougan after the service about how my father, Danny, was at Ibrox that day as a St John’s Ambulance first aider and had been a boilermaker, the same profession as her husband Charles. A very small world.

My thoughts and prayers with the Adams, Gardiner and Dougan families. #LestWeForget "