20M and a good manager - who do you buy?

I never really understand the point of these threads.

We've no idea how much players would be worth so it's all imagination and guesswork.

Depending on the manager, his contacts and scouting network £20m could either be enough to overhaul the squad and turn us into challengers again or it could see us lumbered with about 5/6 expensive flops that set us even further behind.

1 hour ago, DeanMK said:

I think they’ve already been linked to him, but the first bosman I’d be looking at is Abel Hernandez. Probably would be priced out of wages though. 

Absolutely probably the only player who I've seen on this topic that I'd actually like to see us sign.

For me there are deals to be had. You look at the team that played in the uefa cup final I've put approximate costs, probably got some wrong.

Alexander 500k

Broadfoot free

Weir free

Cellar 2.25m

Papa 450k

Hemdani free

Whitaker 2m

Ferguson one of our own

Thomson 2m

Davis on loan at the time

Darcheville free

Bench 

Graeme Smith not a lot, (McGregor was also here of course and he was free)

Daily free

Adam one of our own

Faye loan

Boyd 400k

Novo 400k

Jig 2.25 mill

A squad for about 10 million. When I look at that squad it tells me we need

a good scouting network

a youth system that actually brings through good players

a manager who gets the best out of his team and knows how he wants to play.

A board who are prepared to/are capable of paying, decent wages.

We do none of the above 4 things at the moment.

6 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Absolutely probably the only player who I've seen on this topic that I'd actually like to see us sign.

For me there are deals to be had. You look at the team that played in the uefa cup final I've put approximate costs, probably got some wrong.

Alexander 500k

Broadfoot free

Weir free

Cellar 2.25m

Papa 450k

Hemdani free

Whitaker 2m

Ferguson one of our own

Thomson 2m

Darcheville free

Bench 

Daily free

Adam one of our own

Faye loan

Boyd 400k

Novo 400k

Jig 2.25 mill

a good scouting network

That team didn’t win the league tho, the following year when we added Mendes, Edu, Darchville, Cousin, Cuellar etc is when they kicked on

5 minutes ago, kris1984 said:

That team didn’t win the league tho, the following year when we added Mendes, Edu, Darchville, Cousin, Cuellar etc is when they kicked on

I think your getting confused

Darcheville, cousin and cuellar were all here during that run.

They would have won the league too if it wasn't for that run and having no help from.the spfl. (Cheating bastards) A lot of the following seasons signings were funded by that run and cuellars sale.

Anyway the point being, we were in contention for the title and look how far the 4 things I mentioned can get you. 

(I'm not saying we will get to a European final again anytime soon)

11 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

See to be fair, I don’t think the squad we have is actually that bad! Granted it could do with being bulked up at the back but I wouldn’t say that we’re that far off a team that could easily compete against what we have in this league! Granted Europe would be a struggle but simply to win this league wouldn’t take much! 

Our biggest spend should be on obtaining a decent manager!! That can actually get the best out of players!

I agree.

Seen a few posts in other threads saying sell Morelos, Candeias, Tav etc., but thats the worst thing a new manager could do.

We can't just press the reset button every summer and hope a new squad clicks.

Hope whoever comes in will have the defence sorted before anything else.

Our past couple of managers didn't seem to give a fuck about it, and worryingly, judging from January, Mark Allen doesn't either.

4 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

Alexander 500k

Broadfoot free

Weir free

Cellar 2.25m

Papa 450k

Hemdani free

Whitaker 2m

Ferguson one of our own

Thomson 2m

Darcheville free

Bench 

Daily free

Adam one of our own

Faye loan

Boyd 400k

Novo 400k

Jig 2.25 mill

a good scouting network

Half those players don’t exist in Scotland anymore and never will again, certainly not for those prices 

2 hours ago, TheGovanIniesta said:

Half those players don’t exist in Scotland anymore and never will again, certainly not for those prices 

A fair point, if you believe that though  it's all relative, we still have a good budget that should easily beat the other side's bar them. We just aren't using it well.

I'd say there are still good players who could be signed on a bosman. I know Joey Barton didn't work out, but it shows players are attracted to coming here. A player who had just had an immense season chose to join us.

We should be doing more to bring in young talent. There's a few in that team that are home grown and contributed.

Use a scouting system to try and find a few bargains.

Most importantly add quality where it counts. That team is hardly full of world class players, but it's got a team of internationals/players who have played in big leagues and done well.

I still think it's achievable for us to get good players in.

6 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

A fair point, if you believe that though  it's all relative, we still have a good budget that should easily beat the other side's bar them. We just aren't using it well.

I'd say there are still good players who could be signed on a bosman. I know Joey Barton didn't work out, but it shows players are attracted to coming here. A player who had just had an immense season chose to join us.

We should be doing more to bring in young talent. There's a few in that team that are home grown and contributed.

Use a scouting system to try and find a few bargains.

Most importantly add quality where it counts. That team is hardly full of world class players, but it's got a team of internationals/players who have played in big leagues and done well.

I still think it's achievable for us to get good players in.

Don’t get me wrong we can still get cheap young players to develop and decent frees or more experienced players but long gone are the days of Novo’s, Weir’s, Ferguson’s etc

apart from McGinn, Mulumbu and maybe a couple of younger boys as last resort squad players there’s absolutely nobody that would offer anything to us, at all

i dread to think of the amount half the players Rangers had from the 00’s would cost in today’s market, maybe not amazing looking back but absolute winners, the ability to win and the mentality to match, I doubt there will ever be a Rangers team again for a very, very long time that will achieve anywhere near what the Manchester squad or the 3 in a row squad did

as mad as it sounds i dont know if 20m will be enough, if that includes the wage budget.

We need a high calibre manager and should be paying at least a couple million a year for him

and we need major investment in the squad, higher than whats been put in before, if we spend 15m in the transfer window ill be confident

but that's never going to happen, will be the same pish as the year before and the year before and the year before.

Im laughing at myself because i put faith in the board that i never had for them before after the last couple transfer windows but they've made a half arsed effort of it.

First they invested in a manager then thought that was enough and didnt back him with squad investment 

then they got a no name manager and invested in the squad 

and now the cunts have shot themselves in the foot because now we need major investment for a manager and even more investment in the squad. And it will be another half arsed effort

They are biding for time, not for the Club, but for themselves. Get them to fuck 

No players at the end of their careers please. A top quality keeper and at least 2 of the best available defenders with a bit of dig about them, nothing that fancy just proper defending. 2 midfield players with above average intelligence that can make a pass to open up opposition and won't be injured within 5 minutes of arriving in Govan. A striker with the experience and hunger to teach our existing players. 

On 21/04/2018 at 07:04, Ger_onimo said:

If we spent £5m on a keeper I’d be raging :lol:

Can never understand why clubs don't invest directly for good goalies, if he does his job better than average,  that's probably worth another 10-12 points a season, and looking at the table our biggest problem is shipping goals. .

IN: Jamie Murphy - £1m

James McArthur - Free

Fabio - Free

Bobby Reid - Free

Yousouff Mulumbu - Free

Dylan McGeouch - Free

leaves us plenty of money to splash on quality players.

OUT: Carlos Peña

Kenny Miller

Bruno Alves

Eduardo Herrera

Lee Hodson

Michael O’Halloran

Dalcio (obviously)

Jack Alnwick

Andy Halliday

14 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Can never understand why clubs don't invest directly for good goalies, if he does his job better than average,  that's probably worth another 10-12 points a season, and looking at the table our biggest problem is shipping goals. .

This point has been an  elephant in the room since McGregor left. 

Absolutely MUST be the first issue addressed by an incoming manager. 

20 hours ago, GT66 said:

I agree.

Seen a few posts in other threads saying sell Morelos, Candeias, Tav etc., but thats the worst thing a new manager could do.

We can't just press the reset button every summer and hope a new squad clicks.

Hope whoever comes in will have the defence sorted before anything else.

Our past couple of managers didn't seem to give a fuck about it, and worryingly, judging from January, Mark Allen doesn't either.

I think the point with selling Morelos, Tav and Fod is that they command a decent transfer fee and we could cash in and hopefully get much better 

they have talent but not the right attitude and consistency to play for Rangers - they’ve done a job for us but none of them would get a game for a first string celtic XI maybe Tav would but only because of Lustig if they had someone half decent then he wouldn’t be anywhere near their XI

On 21/04/2018 at 07:20, Parlaneloyal said:

I would've thought Dorrans and Murphy would've ran amok up here but it hasn't happened. 

A top class spine would do me. Centre half, centre mid and a forward

I think Dorrans and Murphy will come ok under a better manager. In fact a few of our players will.

No chance of £20 million, the boards have shown their hand in regards to our signing policy.

Im in no doubt more players will come in but will be the same old.

Our money should be spent on getting the very best manager we can get, then we will see a difference.

We have the blood and guts of a decent outfit there, sure a bit of quality through the spine would be great, solid CB, creative playmaker and good forward man but a quality manager can sort these players out and provide the guidance needed.