Your lifetime Rangers squad

bg1872

34 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

?

Great post mate.

I missed seeing him play OZ .... but still remember my Dad and uncles raving  about him that much it seems like I had seen him play.

There's now plenty of info out there that describes Willie Woodburn's outstanding ability as a centre half .... with a style way before it's time .... but the stories from family and friends were all we youngsters (back then) had to go by and are the ones that are most vivid and I wouldn't change that for the world.

Great Op ... but I have to decline, as I also have quite a few players that I would have to leave out of an all time great Rangers team .... my good old memories won't allow that mate ... suffice to say each decade has had it's "special talents" and they all hold wonderful and unfortunately not so wonderful memories of success and failure ... that's the beauty of this game and of course the team we all support.

:UK:

You're on the money, there, Bobby. I think that moving to Rangers and Scotland Captain to right back so that big Ben could play centre half told the story of how great he was. Big Corky Young was a colossus in his own right in the centre of that defence, but he couldn't hold a candle to Woodburn. :rangers:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, GOAT said:

I'm going to assume you're a younger guy, since Laudrup and Gazza aren't in there, but how the fuck can you have Charbonner injured after half a season in 1998 if that and then hardly played again and Niemi who had his best spell in Scotland playing for another team before Stefan Klos?  Absolute madness.  A CL winning goalkeeper.  Only Andy Goram sits ahead of him in my lifetime.

Like I said at the top of my post I can hardly remember 9 in a row being born in 1994 so while Laudrup is my hero and I’ve watched it all back I based it on what I can actually remember from growing up as I thought I it would’ve been more interesting than just rhyming off the obvious (Laudrup,Gazza,McCoist,Gough etc).

Also as I said based it on ability and who I just had a soft spot for rather than how many games they played or how long they were here. 

I wasn’t a big fan of Klos as a kid no doubt he was a great keeper but I had a soft spot for Charbonnier probably just because he was an absolute mad man and I always thought Niemi was better than he got credit for. Not saying Klos wasn’t great just liked the other 2

29 minutes ago, DariuszAdamczuk said:

Like I said at the top of my post I can hardly remember 9 in a row being born in 1994 so while Laudrup is my hero and I’ve watched it all back I based it on what I can actually remember from growing up as I thought I it would’ve been more interesting than just rhyming off the obvious (Laudrup,Gazza,McCoist,Gough etc).

Also as I said based it on ability and who I just had a soft spot for rather than how many games they played or how long they were here. 

I wasn’t a big fan of Klos as a kid no doubt he was a great keeper but I had a soft spot for Charbonnier probably just because he was an absolute mad man and I always thought Niemi was better than he got credit for. Not saying Klos wasn’t great just liked the other 2

If it was based on ability, Klos was better than Niemi. Niemi's best spells were with Hearts or with mid table English sides; Klos was an important part of title winning teams in Germany and Scotland, as well as a Champions League winner.

But the idea is to pick players based on their Rangers careers. The tweet that inspired the thread gave the example of Piqué at Man Utd; he was a youngster there, and not the Piqué of Spain and Barcelona. Following the 'rules' of the topic, Niemi was never more than a back up for us, and Charbonnier had half a season (plus he was only signed because Dortmund wouldn't sell Klos, leading to the court case). 

I'm not having a go at you for liking either player, by the by. Charbonnier being number two was down to how good Klos was, and I think Niemi was a bit unfortunate in terms of when he signed for us.

My 23 man squad comprising of players I've seen in the flesh whilst actively supporting Rangers, my early childhood heroes where of mythical status and only seen on the TV if I'm completely honest. 

Goalkeepers.  

McGregor, 

Klos, 

Alexander, 

Defenders. 

Moore, 

Amoruso, 

Cuellar, 

Bougherra, 

Numan, 

Ricksen, 

Papac, 

Hutton, 

Midfielders. 

Ferguson, 

Arteta, 

De Boer, 

Davis, 

Thomson, 

McCann, 

Burke, 

Forwards. 

Arveladze, 

Prso, 

Lovenkrands, 

Jelavic,

Boyd, 

keepers

Goram, McGregor

Full backs

Robertson, Numan, Stevens, Hutton

Centrebacks

Gough, Cuellar, Moore, Amoruso

Midfield

Gascoigne, Laudrup, Durrant, Wilkins, Thomson, Tugay, Reyna, I.Ferguson and McCann

Strikers

McCoist, Hately, Prso and de Boer

On 10/09/2018 at 19:35, TheCutch said:

Rattled through this so will probably kick myself for missing some once I give it proper thought, but initially would read something like this..

GK

Goram, Klos, Woods

DEF

Stevens, Porrini, Robertson, Numan, Gough, Butcher, Amoruso. 

MID

Gascoigne, Laudrup, Albertz, B Ferguson, McCall, Souness, Van Bronckhorst, De Boer.

ATT

McCoist, Hately, Prso, Johnston, Mols.

Edit- Knew this would happen. Cannot believe I left Davie Cooper out. ?

How much for just the highlighted ones at today's prices, incredible to even contemplate.   Oh and Kudos for the choice of Woods, guess others are too young to remember he was the England #1 at the time.  

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

How much for just the highlighted ones at today's prices, incredible to even contemplate.   Oh and Kudos for the choice of Woods, guess others are too young to remember he was the England #1 at the time.  

Scary amounts mate. Really scary...

If Woods hadn't got the ear problem which affected his balance, he would have been even better. Only the fact the 3 foreigner rule was coming in ended his time with us, but it brought us Goram so what a brilliant rule that turned out to be. Lol

Cant think of another team who went so many years with absolutely top class goalies as their main number 1's as us. Woods - Goram - Klos - McGregor. 

What a run of 26yrs that was. 

49 minutes ago, TheCutch said:

Scary amounts mate. Really scary...

If Woods hadn't got the ear problem which affected his balance, he would have been even better. Only the fact the 3 foreigner rule was coming in ended his time with us, but it brought us Goram so what a brilliant rule that turned out to be. Lol

Cant think of another team who went so many years with absolutely top class goalies as their main number 1's as us. Woods - Goram - Klos - McGregor. 

What a run of 26yrs that was. 

Woods seemed to get hampered by that shoulder injury when he banged it off the post, but still, some keeper, capped around 50 times for England and that was after being backup to Shilton, 

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Woods seemed to get hampered by that shoulder injury when he banged it off the post, but still, some keeper, capped around 50 times for England and that was after being backup to Shilton, 

That's a description that's kind on Kenny MacDowall.

Woods, Klos, Goram

Jardine, Stevens, Gough, Butcher, D Smith, Numan, Robertson

Steven, Gascoigne, B Ferguson, Baxter, Greig, van Bronckhorst, Albertz

Henderson, Cooper,, D Johnstone, Stein, Laudrup, W Johnston.

I’be left out some massive players such as Souness for example because he was 33 when he played for us. Durrant I left out because of his injury, same with Mols.

Goalkeeper's

Woods

Goram

Klos

Defenders

Gough

Numan

Stevens

Mclaren

Brown

Robertson

Cuellar

Midfield

Laudrup

Gascoigne

Cooper

Durrant

Albertz

Van Bronckhorst

Mccall

B Ferguson

Strikers

Mccoist

Hateley

Mols

Jelavic

R de Boer

On 12/09/2018 at 15:55, bluenose244 said:

My 23 man squad comprising of players I've seen in the flesh whilst actively supporting Rangers, my early childhood heroes where of mythical status and only seen on the TV if I'm completely honest. 

Goalkeepers.  

McGregor, 

Klos, 

Alexander, 

Defenders. 

Moore, 

Amoruso, 

Cuellar, 

Bougherra, 

Numan, 

Ricksen, 

Papac, 

Hutton, 

Midfielders. 

Ferguson, 

Arteta, 

De Boer, 

Davis, 

Thomson, 

McCann, 

Burke, 

Forwards. 

Arveladze, 

Prso, 

Lovenkrands, 

Jelavic,

Boyd, 

No Gough. Behave yourself.

ritchie,thompson gk..def.  jardine  mathieson  telfer paterson  woodburn rae  stevenson  logie. forwards  waddell mculloch henderson  mckay findlay  paton  penman ,w   gardener  thornton  simpson   williamson   urquhart  semple..johnston..all played but what else.?