Satisfying and Fulfilling Expectations

The Ibrox Derry

To give you a bit of background, i am a 40 something Rangers fan, who has watched the club from the mid 1980s. 1st season that I can honestly remember is 1986/87, thanks in part to that "championship season" video. I started going regularly to games around this time.

As we know during this era the club really kicked on, and right the way through the late 80s and 90s we achieved unparalleled success, it was a wonderful time to be a Rangers fan, and I am truly blessed to have witnessed that as a young man, I was 22 when we won 9iar.

We had some wonderful teams and wonderful players, who won virtually week in and week out. A couple of defeats and draws per season was the norm.

Now, bringing things up to where we are nowadays.

Is modern football unable to produce the type of players with this winning mentality unless you are paying £20 million for each player? 

Is modern football unable to sustain the type of teams we had during this era?

Or are my expectation levels way too high? comparing to what my experiences have been in the past.

An example is the decade of the noughties, they were well below my expectation levels and during this time we won trebles, titles and various cups including the appearance at the Uefa Cup Final, but i feel we regressed big time during that decade, both on the park and off it. We were nowhere near as good as the previous decade.

The bottom line is are we expecting too much by comparing the current set up with the success we have experienced in the past? And if the answer is yes, what do we do to handle that expectation before it drives some of us potty, and we end up in the loony bin. How do we manage this expectation of our team?

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

No, we don't expect too much at all.

We consistently spent more than everybody bar celtic and we've still not finished second, and we still might not this season. Not reached one final since returning, and that's including against apparently the biggest bottlejob manager and team in Scotland. Pay good money to effectively be out the title race by February/March each year and to sit and watch players not give a fuck.

The problem is that I honestly believe the majority of the squad believe they've done well this season and have done what's been asked of them, up to yesterday anyway.

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

No, we don't expect too much at all.

We consistently spent more than everybody bar celtic and we've still not finished second, and we still might not this season. Not reached one final since returning, and that's including against apparently the biggest bottlejob manager and team in Scotland. Pay good money to effectively be out the title race by February/March each year and to sit and watch players not give a fuck.

As a support I don't think we can do anymore, we've put money in, we've bought the merchandise, we've packed Ibrox and other grounds all over Scotland and in Europe.

These guys will never ever play for better supporters in their careers.

Why can't they do the business on a consistent basis?

24 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

To give you a bit of background, i am a 40 something Rangers fan, who has watched the club from the mid 1980s. 1st season that I can honestly remember is 1986/87, thanks in part to that "championship season" video. I started going regularly to games around this time.

As we know during this era the club really kicked on, and right the way through the late 80s and 90s we achieved unparalleled success, it was a wonderful time to be a Rangers fan, and I am truly blessed to have witnessed that as a young man, I was 22 when we won 9iar.

We had some wonderful teams and wonderful players, who won virtually week in and week out. A couple of defeats and draws per season was the norm.

Is modern football unable to produce the type of players with this winning mentality unless you are paying £20 million for each player? 

Or are my expectation levels way too high? comparing to what my experiences have been in the past.

An example is the decade of the noughties, they were well below my expectation levels and during this time we won trebles, titles and various cups including the appearance at the Uefa Cup Final, but i feel we regressed big time during that decade, both on the park and off it. We were nowhere near as good as the previous decade.

The bottom line is are we expecting too much by comparing the current set up with the success we have experienced in the past? And if the answer is yes, what do we do to handle that expectation before it drives some of us potty, and we end up in the loony bin. How do we manage this expectation of our team?

Our squad isn't good enough to put up a season long sustained title challenge, whilst having 10-15 games in Europe.

We need to be finishing 2nd every season without fail, get to as many finals as possible and then build from there.

People expecting Rangers to win the league is a massive monkey on our back, that doesnt help, as we dont have the players or the squad to cope with at the moment!

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

The problem is that I honestly believe the majority of the squad believe they've done well this season and have done what's been asked of them, up to yesterday anyway.

If that's the case then that's a serious management issue because the success or failure of a season can never be judged in mid February. If there is even a hint of them thinking that, then someone is not being truthful with these players.

1 minute ago, Del said:

Our squad isn't good enough to put up a season long sustained title challenge, whilst having 10-15 games in Europe.

We need to be finishing 2nd every season without fail, get to as many finals as possible and then build from there.

People expecting Rangers to win the league is a massive monkey on our back, that doesnt help, as we dont have the players or the squad to cope with at the moment!

Europe has been a huge factor, I said it at the time. Too many games too early in the season, got us a bit of well needed dough, but it's partly to blame for the domestic situation. It's a contributing factor.

No way do we expect too much.

the fact is that our resources far outstrip any other club bar the bheasts- so even if we don’t win the league we should be far more consistent against the rest.

Put it into perspective- they absolutely demolished St Johnstone three times in two weeks and we can’t muster a single goal against them in front to 50,000 dedicated supporters that pay their wages. That’s a scandal.

10 minutes ago, Bydo said:

the fact is that our resources far outstrip any other club bar the bheasts- so even if we don’t win the league we should be far more consistent against the rest.

Put it into perspective- they absolutely demolished St Johnstone three times in two weeks and we can’t muster a single goal against them in front to 50,000 dedicated supporters that pay their wages. That’s a scandal.

In fact, that's a very good way to think about it, forget how close we are to celtic, and think how close we are to the rest, and with our resources we should be light years ahead of the rest of the league, and were not. That's a serious problem.

We will probably never see a standard the likes of Gazza, Laudrup etc all in one team again but that doesn't mean you can't get a good level of entertaining winning football with less money.

Fucking Irish league football can be entertaining to watch at times. The fact is we just have some shite players still 

12 minutes ago, Bydo said:

In the 5 fixtures before we played them St Johnston had lost all 5 by a combined score of 13-1!

It was obvious against us yesterday that they set out to play very defensive and waste as much time as possible, they were wasting time before 10mins, but after losing 5 on the spin, their attitude is going to change and make it very difficult.

How many goals celtic beat them by is irrelevant as is how many supporters were there or who pays their wages!

£20 m each player ?its Scotland were playing in ,defo don’t expect po much this was the year we should be pushing on as our investment in management team and players show ,yet usual crap like every season unless some sort of miracle happens ,we have won 15 out of 26 games no wonder people are getting pissed off 

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

How does the part about spending 20 million on each player make sense.

Does nobody win our league?

I was maybe exaggerating about the 20 million, but even that lot are inconsistent. They will win it by making less fuck ups than we do. How do we get a consistent team who can win every week without breaking the bank? Or is there no other way to do it but by spending £££millions

Just now, The Ibrox Derry said:

I was maybe exaggerating about the 20 million, but even that lot are inconsistent. They will win it by making less fuck ups than we do. How do we get a consistent team who can win every week without breaking the bank? Or is there no other way to do it but by spending £££millions

They had an unbeaten team win the league two seasons ago

18 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

If that's the case then that's a serious management issue because the success or failure of a season can never be judged in mid February. If there is even a hint of them thinking that, then someone is not being truthful with these players.

I fully expect they will be, certain players anyway, especially the ones who haven't played much before this season

They'll be getting told they've done well to deal with the pressure etc, that's what I think anyway.

The only ones who I think have the mentality to be here are McGregor and Morelos.

I grew up in the same period my man and tell you something 

to go and win up to now 5? Away games in a season

draw with pish at home Kilmarnock St Johnstone etc

is not the standard expected from us as fans nor should it be that expected of our players.

we should be beating these teams at home quite comfortably 

i hate what we have become 

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

I fully expect they will be, certain players anyway, especially the ones who haven't played much before this season

They'll be getting told they've done well to deal with the pressure etc, that's what I think anyway.

The only ones who I think have the mentality to be here are McGregor and Morelos.

I tend to agree, snowflake management, I can hear that wee Stewart Robertson "Now Steven, we can't upset the players now can we"

Not a fucking Rangers man among them.

50 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Good post mate but I don't think us expecting them to be able to do the basics is asking too much.they are well paid for the job they do.but in a lot of the games this season our passing, moving positional sense, shooting, crossing, decision making, set pieces ect have been abysmal.and they have let everyone of us down time and again.

2 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Exactly, how do we achieve that?

We need winners in our team hate to say it but real Rangers in the dressing room who know what it means to us there only a few in the now 

not loans who don’t give 2 monkeys if we draw and they think a point is ok!!! 

trouble is where do they come from now????