Gerrard, we have made progress

backup

Just now, cr3_bear said:

It’s not been a successful season but it has been an improvement. We are going into this summer arguably the most stable we have been since Smith was manager. We know where we need to improve we could also possibly cash in on some players and hopefully make the right signings to get some steel and grit about this team.

Good post mate.

I think we now go into this summer not requiring the wholesale changes we have required the last 3/4 seasons. We do still have some dead wood we have to move on and around 3/4 quality additions and we won't be far away next season.

The tarriers have a massive summer ahead. So many loans and players out of contract plus possible upheaval of a new manager.

I'm now for the first time in a few years pretty optimistic about it all

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Try telling the players that, they positively shat the bed in the first half at the piggery on mothers day 

You can't go to the piggery and dominate for 90mins , it's unrealistic.  We have had far better teams and players than present who have been on the wrong end of a beating at the beggerdome.  

celtic started and went all out the first half which came back to haunt them as we took control the second half and we should have won it. 

26 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

It’s not been a successful season but it has been an improvement. We are going into this summer the most stable we have been since Smith was manager. We know where we need to improve we could also possibly cash in on some players and hopefully make the right signings to get some steel and grit about this team.

We need atleast 1 quality cb,  likely a new lb , a quality goalscoring cm/ am  (preferably 2) , a new rw better than candeias,  if Kent goes then a new lw of his quality or better , if morelos goes a new striker (preferably 2)  I don't see how that is stable 

4 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Try telling the players that, they positively shat the bed in the first half at the piggery on mothers day 

Seen a lot better Rangers teams going to the piggery and losing. We gave them a game with 10 men and had Jack slotted home that chance, we’d be talking about a completely different story. That’s what a mean about done margins.

once again major investment will see us progress by winning trophies and put an end to a mediocre taig mob cantering the league and doing back to back trebles.

anything else other than the sbove is running to stand still, window shopping wishful thinking and loan players won’t cut it.

37 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

You can't go to the piggery and dominate for 90mins , it's unrealistic.  We have had far better teams and players than present who have been on the wrong end of a beating at the beggerdome.  

celtic started and went all out the first half which came back to haunt them as we took control the second half and we should have won it. 

Aye but we are always chasing the game, how about we come flying out the blocks first and dominate and take the lead

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Aye but we are always chasing the game, how about we come flying out the blocks first and dominate and take the lead

Let's hope at Ibrox as we have something to prove and it's our home 🇬🇧

10 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We did the first few minutes , its not that simple , go toe to toe with them and the game could be gone after 30 mins. I always say keep it tight and do not concede first 15mins at the beggerdome as it leaves you an uphill struggle.  

Their first goal came from a loose pass when we were attacking and the second was just a terrible error but again we had control of the game by that time. so any time we defended in numbers they did not score,  it was the same with the first game there, a FOUL on Jack and a breakaway goal. 

It's  not the defending that's the problem but getting caught out on the break.

28 minutes ago, ricksen_da_best said:

Seen a lot better Rangers teams going to the piggery and losing. We gave them a game with 10 men and had Jack slotted home that chance, we’d be talking about a completely different story. That’s what a mean about done margins.

We gave them a game there under murty , morelos sitters stopped us winning and we were a much worse team and playing nico kranjkar was effectively playing with 10 

7 hours ago, ricksen_da_best said:

Some of our performances have been great this season, we have been a joy to watch, an old firm win that gets rid of that fear factor, a good European run. It’s disapointing not to win anything this year but we are making progress. 

The difference in the league this year will be 4 draws. 4 late goals conceded have cost. Unfortunately that is the difference at this level between success and failure. Gerrard knows it, the players know it. Hopefully they can finish the season strong in and kick on next season.

Tim's have also picked up a good few points with 96th minute goals.

11 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

We gave them a game there under murty , morelos sitters stopped us winning and we were a much worse team and playing nico kranjkar was effectively playing with 10 

Ok, Murtys team was better 😂

People love to moan man. Even when we where winning the titles with Walter Smith people used to say they wouldn’t mind if we lost some weeks but played exciting football every week , rather than the boring stuff we where accustomed to. Can never keep the Rangers support happy 👍🏼😂

One thing we do need to do I any decent money spent on players need to be better than what we have, and be first picks.

We seem to have spent possibly £5m or more on players last summer that don't even get a game consistently, barisic, grezda, and katic.

Just now, ricksen_da_best said:

People love to moan man. Even when we where winning the titles with Walter Smith people used to say they wouldn’t mind if we finished second but played exciting football every week , rather than the boring stuff we where accustomed to. Can never keep the Rangers support happy 👍🏼😂

Where did I say your first part ? Your the guy trying too use us giving them a game as some sort of sign of progress , oh it's just fine margins , so that makes everything ok 

21 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

One thing we do need to do I any decent money spent on players need to be better than what we have, and be first picks.

We seem to have spent possibly £5m or more on players last summer that don't even get a game consistently, barisic, grezda, and katic.

Barisic and Grezda have been stop/start with injuries. Be interesting to see if they still struggle for first team places. when fully fit. 

Katic I just don't understand why he's not been getting more game time. I think he and Goldson are a better partnership at the back. 

Still not good enough. Struggling some weeks to beat teams at the bottom end of the table: losses to Aberdeen, who are pretty average, and put out of every competition, including the league, before April.

Need one or two players who would be the 'difference' in these games, the kind of players who grind out the results ugly as well as with skill and style. 

Beating celtic once isn't progress.

3 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Where did I say your first part ? Your the guy trying too use us giving them a game as some sort of sign of progress , oh it's just fine margins , so that makes everything ok 

You're the guy trying to compare us fighting back from a goal down and man down to being in the ascendancy and dominating a match to one where we missed chances whilst playing with 11 men 😁.

If at the end of the season we have more points, higher league finish, more goals scored, less goals conceded then statistically we have progressed. Over and above that we've not been overly dominated or pumped in any game this season, draws have killed us whereas the scum have found numerous last minute winners. Some games we didn't take full points we absolutely dominated but not been clinical enough with chances. No one is saying the obvious progress is enough.

More quality, more consistency, better attacking flair / finishing and more discipline will go a long way.  But if you're saying we're not in a better position heading into this summer than we were last summer then that's deluded.

1 hour ago, backup said:

once again major investment will see us progress by winning trophies and put an end to a mediocre taig mob cantering the league and doing back to back trebles.

anything else other than the sbove is running to stand still, window shopping wishful thinking and loan players won’t cut it.

I'd add 'only' in between "again and major....".      The open question will be how much investment can King and his board supply.    

Quality players - real quality players - in a few key positions are either developing players not yet at or close to the peak of their game where the Club takes a punt and hopes that it works out, or Rangers-ready quality that makes an instant big difference right from the off.  The latter probably cost a lot more than the former …….even supposing either is prepared to have a go at what passes for football in the Scottish game.      Any way you look at it though if reasonably quick success is required in the form of winning cups /league title then major investment in players is still needed imo.   Whether whatever King can offer to Gerrard is enough is a different question though.   We'll see soon enough. 

27 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You're the guy trying to compare us fighting back from a goal down and man down to being in the ascendancy and dominating a match to one where we missed chances whilst playing with 11 men 😁.

If at the end of the season we have more points, higher league finish, more goals scored, less goals conceded then statistically we have progressed. Over and above that we've not been overly dominated or pumped in any game this season, draws have killed us whereas the scum have found numerous last minute winners. Some games we didn't take full points we absolutely dominated but not been clinical enough with chances. No one is saying the obvious progress is enough.

More quality, more consistency, better attacking flair / finishing and more discipline will go a long way.  But if you're saying we're not in a better position heading into this summer than we were last summer then that's deluded.

10 men = we had nico kranjkar playing ,it was also against a superior tarrier team , but that's not my point , my point is 1 game cant be used too gauge our progress 1 way or the other , 

I have never claimed we haven't progressed , my argument is it isn't enough for the money spent , despite that spend we still need more of an overhaul than most claim , our record against the top 6 and in the cups isn't acceptable  , now imo that all falls on the manager , lots of people seem too have changed their opinion on what's acceptable and what blame the manager should take , I cant answer why that's changed for them 

5 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

lots of people seem too have changed their opinion on what's acceptable and what blame the manager should take , I cant answer why that's changed for them 

I think its probably the passage of time. Nearly a decade has passed since we had a recognisable Rangers squad achieving the appropriate level of success.

Some folk have lowered the bar when it comes to expectations and others are guilty of wishful thinking.

33 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

I'd add 'only' in between "again and major....".      The open question will be how much investment can King and his board supply.    

Quality players - real quality players - in a few key positions are either developing players not yet at or close to the peak of their game where the Club takes a punt and hopes that it works out, or Rangers-ready quality that makes an instant big difference right from the off.  The latter probably cost a lot more than the former …….even supposing either is prepared to have a go at what passes for football in the Scottish game.      Any way you look at it though if reasonably quick success is required in the form of winning cups /league title then major investment in players is still needed imo.   Whether whatever King can offer to Gerrard is enough is a different question though.   We'll see soon enough. 

Every signing we make is a risk...whether its a free/loan or a guy at 9 million. 

You cant go out and sign Dutch International Left backs anymore for 4.5million and be guarenteed a top quality player. You sign a player like Barisic who has potential for circa 2million and hope he can become a top quality player. 

I think far too many of our fans live in the past and their expectations of which players we should be able to attract are nowhere near reality. 

This also applies to celtic as well...with a new manager coming in and lots of players either out of contract/sold etc it should create uncertainty. Even if they spend their 40million warchest on a whole new squad there are no guarentees they will produce the goods.

1 hour ago, ricksen_da_best said:

People love to moan man. Even when we where winning the titles with Walter Smith people used to say they wouldn’t mind if we lost some weeks but played exciting football every week , rather than the boring stuff we where accustomed to. Can never keep the Rangers support happy 👍🏼😂

Problem is that gerrard can't grind out a win when needed, when we are shite we draw or lose, when we win we usually batter the opposition 

6 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You said gerrard inherited a clusterfuck of a team, why does he still use the core of that team then

Does he?

Pretty settled line up for the 2nd half the season has a new keeper, 3 new defenders, 2 new midfield players and 1 new attacking player. Only Tav, Jack, Candeias and Morelos are regularly starting from last years players. With other players left over mainly acting as injury cover or in and out of the line up. 

This will be the first time in a while we don't need a wholesale summer clearout.

6 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I expected a domestic cup, given he's spent 8mill 

Agree. A cup this season would have been a big step psychologically towards the title next season imo

Not getting past the sheep to at least have a proper go at the scum in the final in December was the most disappointing thing for me.

11 minutes ago, whatnobeer said:

Does he?

Pretty settled line up for the 2nd half the season has a new keeper, 3 new defenders, 2 new midfield players and 1 new attacking player. Only Tav, Jack, Candeias and Morelos are regularly starting from last years players. With other players left over mainly acting as injury cover or in and out of the line up. 

This will be the first time in a while we don't need a wholesale summer clearout.

We need 1 or 2 cb,  prob a new lb , 1or2 am,  rw,  if Kent and morelos go then new st and lw ? That's hardly keeping a settled squad , also need too try move fod, Flanagan,  mcauley,  holt , dorrans,  rossiter , candeias and no doubt more I have forgotten out 

3 hours ago, ger4life_1872 said:

We need atleast 1 quality cb,  likely a new lb , a quality goalscoring cm/ am  (preferably 2) , a new rw better than candeias,  if Kent goes then a new lw of his quality or better , if morelos goes a new striker (preferably 2)  I don't see how that is stable 

Because we are talking about adding players to a squad. Not searching for a whole new management , back room staff and every other type of nonsense we have had to put up with over the last seven summers.

Archived