Gerrard, we have made progress

backup

8 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

See when you think about the level of player we signed under Advocaat its wild.

We got Van Bronckhurst. The top rated young midfielder in Holland from Feyenoord. He went on to have well over 100 caps, play for Arsenal and Barca and win a world cup.

We got Numan, a 30 odd cap mainstay of the national side, captain of PSV in the prime of his career. His options were us or Athletico Madrid. 

We already had Reyna, well over 100 caps for USA and he went on to play for Man City.

Mols...you all saw him. Before his injury he was better than Larsson. He was unplayable. 

Tugay....couldn't even get a regular game. A magician and a Turkish national hero.

Klos. The Dortmund keeper. Imagine that now. 

Hendry, the Scotland captain. Didn't really work out but he was an English Premier League winner and bought to partner Amoruso an ex Fiorentina captain. 

I think with Gerrard being such a world name there was an expectation that some big hitters would arrive. How often did we hear people say that he hasn't signed without a guarantee of a good budget. Rumours of major investment. Truth is we are building slowly but getting there. Unless we throw cash at it it was always going to take some time. 

He also signed his fair share of Donkeys

Gabriel Amato

Daniel Prodan

Stephan Guivarc'h 

Dariusz Adamczuk 

Billy Dodds

Bert Konterman (debatable)

Christian Nerlinger 

Michael Ball (could have been better, injury prone)

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, backup said:

What shortcomings has he identified and in what positions.

He identified defensive frailties in the summer. We are now defensively stronger.

Pre January transfer window he identified a lack of quality and creativity up top. He says he tried to bring in such players but was unable to for various reasons at that time. He has acknowledged we are still lacking there. Also specifically that we are over reliant on Morelos.

He's identified the need to bring in quality players now to take the first team level forward.

He's stated repeatedly that consistency in performance is too erratic, and that we are hurting ourselves with individual errors and both need to improve.

He's said those not at it will be shipped out when the opportunity arises, acknowledging that not all players are cutting it for him.

He's spoken about the weight of the jersey, meeting demands and expectations, winning mentality. Says he saw a fear in players in believing we could should and would beat scum. 

There's quotes attributed to each of the above points easily found on line. Do you disagree with any, what has he not identified in your opinion?

56 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

This season we lost twice in cups to a team that finished higher in the league than us last season. Whilst we should be beating the sheep far more consistently, they're an established top 3 league finish club (4th presently by 2 goal difference) not exactly lesser opponents where it's a riddy losing to that you seem to imply. Our best teams have lost to the sheep in cup games plenty.

As has been said to death theres not been enough progress. But it seems improvement in Europe, increased league points, more goals for, less conceded goals dont seem evidence of progress to some. Neither does winning against the scum and dominating much of an OF away game down to ten men is ignored. And now more downplaying of the competitiveness in the game with lesser opponent comments.

What specifically were you expecting at the start of the season, did you state that pre the first competitive kick of a ball?

So we are using the "aberdeen finished higher than us" excuse for losing in two cups to them, but last seasons team gets slaughtered for being pumped off a tarrier team that went unbeaten the season before? 

No buying it, aberdeen are shite this year, but have beat us 3 times to our one victory, thats simply not good enough, especially next to not beating killie in the league or hibs in the league

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So we are using the "aberdeen finished higher than us" excuse for losing in two cups to them, but last seasons team gets slaughtered for being pumped off a tarrier team that went unbeaten the season before? 

No buying it, aberdeen are shite this year, but have beat us 3 times to our one victory, thats simply not good enough, especially next to not beating killie in the league or hibs in the league

I'm not using it as any excuse. Im saying you're looking to optimise any negative you can, such as labelling a team that finished above us and does appear to have our number as lesser opponents.

The league is over a season against 11 teams, we are making progress to date. In 5 games time we will know statistically whether that is still the case and if so by how much. As much as that notion seems to pain you.

45 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Gabriel Amato

Daniel Prodan

Stephan Guivarc'h 

Dariusz Adamczuk 

Billy Dodds

Christian Nerlinger 

Calling Dodds a donkey is utter pish. He wasn't amazing but he had a decent scoring record and scored some important goals for us.

33 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He identified defensive frailties in the summer.

7 months ago after the M'well 3-3 game he was still complaining about defensive frailty, upfront if the likes of hastie were to be an improvement God help us.

56 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Gabriel Amato

Daniel Prodan

Stephan Guivarc'h 

Dariusz Adamczuk 

Billy Dodds

Christian Nerlinger 

Uncalled for

37 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He identified defensive frailties in the summer. We are now defensively stronger.

One of the main points for me, this. Far from flawless but our defence has been very good overall especially Goldson. Worrall has had inconsistencies but has improved a lot. 

15 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'm not using it as any excuse. Im saying you're looking to optimise any negative you can, such as labelling a team that finished above us and does appear to have our number as lesser opponents.

The league is over a season against 11 teams, we are making progress to date. In 5 games time we will know statistically whether that is still the case and if so by how much. As much as that notion seems to pain you.

Over a season against 11 teams, so is it acceptable to only beat aberdeen twice in 7 games, hibs once in 4, killie 3 times in 7, thats if we beat them in the split

4 minutes ago, backup said:

7 months ago after the M'well 3-3 game he was still complaining about defensive frailty, upfront if the likes of hastie were to be an improvement God help us.

24 league goals lost this season at a comparable stage to 38 last season.  Is that not improvement?

We have no idea how much of a signing Hastie would be for now or for the future, not that it even appears to be happening. The time to assess whether he addresses it is for me by the competitive kick off in Europe, though he and the club will argue its closure of the summer transfer window. Getting upset over pre contracts without knowing how they fit into the overall strategy is pretty daft. And I include myself in that for being concerned by the Jones signing as I dont think he's good enough or will fit a Rangers system. 

4 minutes ago, backup said:

We've conceded less than half the goals we did in the previous season, how is that not a defensive improvement?

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Over a season against 11 teams, so is it acceptable to only beat aberdeen twice in 7 games, hibs once in 4, killie 3 times in 7, thats if we beat them in the split

My expectation was to finish a strong second. How the points are broken down dont really matter as much. 

Is it ok to beat these teams more but drop 12 points v the scum?. Is it ok to beat them more but lose even more points to lower teams?  Round in circles.

The bottom line is points. I'd not give a fuck who we get full points against and who we drop points to if we win the league. Nor will you.  We're on course to do better than 10 other teams in the league, so progress is being made. Next season more progress is required, the league needs won, and I'm sure that improving on results v top 6 teams will be identified as part of the means of doing that.

What were your expectations at the start of the season?

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

That’s abysmal mate and ultimately the games that have cost us a proper title challenge and any chance of silverware. 

The money we spent we really should be beating shite like that more regular. No excuses.

2 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

If youre no searching posts with Davis and Co's names to write the word "rat" then youre posting negative shite everywhere. And you have the brass to call other posters tarriers.

Away for a lie doon ffs.

Searching posts hahahahaha. Who did I call a Tarrier?

Stop talking absolute shite

2 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

If youre no searching posts with Davis and Co's names to write the word "rat" then youre posting negative shite everywhere. And you have the brass to call other posters tarriers.

Away for a lie doon ffs.

Inty him Malky, he's been plaguing this forum for years

4 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Searching posts hahahahaha. Who did I call a Tarrier?

Stop talking absolute shite

You do post some amount of shite yourself tbf.

The post last night saying you would rather win a domestic cup before earning millions in Europe is probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted on here.

Fuck knows what's happened to you tbh.

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

It was 6, we were narrowly defeated in one, defeated but not pumped in another, drew at the piggery, lost narrowly in one cup game and capitulated under a youth coach in the last 2

Gerrard will only get to face them 4 times because we were shite in the cups against lesser opponents 

So one draw in 6 games? Tragic record.  SG wasnt a first team coach before he came here either. Both were rookies. 

10 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Inty him Malky, he's been plaguing this forum for years

You’re a plague on society, cock sucking pansy.

7 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

You do post some amount of shite yourself tbf.

The post last night saying you would rather win a domestic cup before earning millions in Europe is probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted on here.

Fuck knows what's happened to you tbh.

Is it, so wanting to actually win things is stupid? Stick to photoshops.

7 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Stop greetin and al stop calling ye out.

Ye were calling someone a tarrier wannabe on Sunday haha.

Calling me out, ok Mike Tyson.

I just went and checked and as I suspected you were talking shite.

Archived