Royal British Legion Knightswood - Ibrox Thursday

Just now, Bears r us said:

Incredible that there is just one BL club left in Glasgow, and now it is in danger of closing. Sad to hear.

@McEwan's Lager I think you mean Thursday mate ?? 

Amended!

But yeah sad to hear. I’m sure Bears will get behind it next week.

12 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Knightswood legion's appeal to save last club in Glasgow

THE last British Legion club in Glasgow is looking for football fans to help it in its fight to keep it open.

The branch in Knightswood has suffered from falling numbers and is facing rising costs to keep its club going.

It has been granted permission to hold a bucket collection outside Ibrox when Rangers play their home leg of their Europa League qualifying tie next week.

It hopes that fans will want to help out and donate cash to keep a long-standing ex-forces tradition alive in Glasgow.

The club is also looking at setting up a crowdfunding initiative on JustGiving to help raise cash.

Barclay McCran, Branch President, said they want to save the last Legion club in the city.

He said: “It is an appeal to save the club which is in danger of closing through a lack of income.

“We don’t want it to close. It is the only one left in Glasgow.”

He added: “I want to thank Rangers for allowing us to hold the collection.”

He said the club is a lifeline for many ex-servicemen and women and for many older people in the community.

Mr McCran would also like to see more people apply to join as members and see what facilities the club has.

The British Legion Club is open to anyone and anyone in the Glasgow area can join.

The Knightswood Royal British Legion club is in Cairntoul Drive, Knightswood, and is close to Garscadden Railway Station

The Knightswood branch has been open since 1944 and has had thousands of members over the years. But from a high of almost 2000, it is now down to around 230.

Changing patterns of social life and fewer ex-service personnel has led to a drop in membership.

There are 160 Branches of the Royal British Legion across Scotland and 60 associated clubs.

It was established in 1921 when charities formed to help soldiers from the First World War amalgamated.

Be a good place for a RSC to run from

Madness that Glasgow only has one of these and it's about to close.

There's literally at least one in nearly every town I can think of here. Go to the one in Armagh and you may be prepared to give the locals a song at some point though, genuinely. You can only hope this is later in the evening when they've drank enough to join in :lol:

25 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

My uncle the one quoted in the story, speaking to him over the years they have tried all sorts to get new members but it just doesnt happen, collections at games like tonight etc hopefully will start some fresh ideas for raising money, 

Since they are the only one in Glasgow are they able to talk to the MOD about promoting it with Glasgow based soldiers, territorialists and veterans?

• 3 weeks later...