The Gaffer

Blacky Bear

2 hours ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Hagi is 100% here because of Gerrard. He wouldn't be coming to Scottish football otherwise. Him and his father have effectively said Gerrard was the attraction. 

Goldson is on record as saying he signed for the manager.  As a Liverpool fan, Gerrard was one of his heroes. Gerrard made a personal visit to Goldson when in signing talks. 

Wish he hadn’t bothered. The big softy and his loser mentality are a huge part of why we weren’t still challenging for the title before the stop. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't really bother me if we don't sign Hagi permanently tbh.

He's a bit of a luxury player who's been mostly anonymous in the league, and the money it would take to sign him would be better spent elsewhere, imo.

9 minutes ago, TMB said:

It’s not.  No one expected him to win anything last season.  When he came in we were a virus and celtic were a strong side under Rodgers.  I expected a title challenge this season and perhaps a domestic cup.  We dominated the League Cup final and only lost because the referees allowed an offside goal (celtic’s only shot on target) to stand.  Our league form prior to the winter break was exceptional with only 7pts dropped in our first 19 games.  We fell off the pace in terms of the league but we also need to accept celtic were having a great season and rarely dropped a point.  30 games in to the season celtic had only dropped 10pts they were on course to finish with near 100pts.

Embarrassing is what was happening before Gerrard came in.  5-0 pumpings, finishing 3rd in the league, and unable to reach a cup final.

Embarrassing  is losing twice to the bottom of the league team in the space of 4 weeks and then losing at home to second bottom Hamilton accies and our arses collapsing at the same stage for the second year in a row. 

Yes we might be competing with celtic in h2h games but it’s no use beating them if you can’t consistently beat the rest of the league. 

6 minutes ago, SPWF said:

Wish he hadn’t bothered. The big softy and his loser mentality are a huge part of why we weren’t still challenging for the title before the stop. 

Two of the softest guys with that loser mentality is who the manager picked to be the captain and vice captain, another mistake from Gerrard.

1 hour ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Nothing embarrassing about backing our manager - who HAS improved things.

What is embarrassing is the ones who want him gone. The usual types who after a defeat or two are screaming for him to go, from their armchairs. 

Embarrassing is the morons clapping in the 8th minute and us losing to fucking Hamilton days after losing to Hearts in the cup. 

1 hour ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Nothing embarrassing about backing our manager - who HAS improved things.

What is embarrassing is the ones who want him gone. The usual types who after a defeat or two are screaming for him to go, from their armchairs. 

Did we only play 2 games between the last old firm and March or did I just imagine the collapse between then? 

Gerrard overseen that period which btw happened for the 2nd consecutive year, questions are correctly asked of him and if he can't handle it he can go. 

39 minutes ago, TMB said:

Embarrassing is what was happening before Gerrard came in.  5-0 pumpings, finishing 3rd in the league, and unable to reach a cup final.

How long are people gonna keep playing this card for?

It's pathetic. 

We've reached one cup final in 4 attempts as well. 

16 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

We’ve improved against celtic but we’ve got worse against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

We were finishing 3rd before Gerrard came in.  We’re now streets ahead of Aberdeen in the league.  Things have improved overall there’s question of that.

There was a recent interview with Beale in which he laid out several key points to explain where we were coming up short.  He said we had signed very technical players to make the 4-3-3 work.  In Europe you can see how effective this has been with us reaching the las 16 of the Europa.  Domestically the game is more physical and refereed differently as well.  He also pointed out the 4-3-3 counter press isn’t going to be as effective domestically since the oppositions first pass was often an 80 yard punt in to our own box.  I’m confident Beale and Gerrard know where we’re coming up short and can fix it.  They aren’t stupid guys.  

6 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Did we only play 2 games between the last old firm and March or did I just imagine the collapse between then? 

Gerrard overseen that period which btw happened for the 2nd consecutive year, questions are correctly asked of him and if he can't handle it he can go. 

The collapse coincided with Defoe’s injury and Morelos being banned and losing form.  Defensively we’ve conceded the same amount of league goals as celtic and had the best defensive record in our Europa League group.  Offensively the goals dried up after the winter break and our season collapsed with it.  I think we were too reliant on Morelos for goals and we can’t go in to future seasons like that.  Again, this is something that can be fixed.

4 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

How long are people gonna keep playing this card for?

It's pathetic. 

We've reached one cup final in 4 attempts as well. 

I expected little from last season.  I don’t expect us to win the league, win a domestic cup, or to reach the Europa Group stages.  We conceded half the amount of league goals, we beat celtic twice (a huge mental hurdle before Gerrard came in), reached the Europa groups, and finished second having closed the point gap.  This year we went further than that by reaching the last 16, reaching a domestic cup final (which we didn’t deserve to lose), and until the winter break we showed title winning consistency for the first time in years.  Prior to Gerrard coming in I think it had been several years since we won more than 4 league games in a row.  We’re moving in the right direction.  I’m confident we’ll continue to progress under Gerrard.

36 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Embarrassing  is losing twice to the bottom of the league team in the space of 4 weeks and then losing at home to second bottom Hamilton accies and our arses collapsing at the same stage for the second year in a row. 

Yes we might be competing with celtic in h2h games but it’s no use beating them if you can’t consistently beat the rest of the league. 

Beating celtic in the Old Forms is a massive step in the right direction.  Getting pumped 4-0, 5-0, is embarrassing and we’re never going to win the league while getting consistently turned over by them.  Now, we can go in to an Old Firm confident that we can get something out of it.  

I agree consistency needs to be better and up until the winter break we had only conceded 7pts in 19 league games.  We reached a domestic cup final and dominated it.  We shine in Europe beating some very good teams.

I think we fell away after the break because we’re too reliant on Morelos.  After the break Morelos had bans, was late returning from Columbia, and his goals dried up.  We weren’t scoring as heavily after the winter break and had a series of bad results.  We need to address this going forward.  

31 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

If we're genuinely progressing under Gerrard I'd hate to see what standing still looks like. 

To be fair we have progressed under him. We are on course to have finished higher domestically both seasons , we have done far better in Europe and we got to our first cup final in four years under him too. That’s clear progress from where we were two or three years ago and I don’t think anybody can deny that.

Whether that is enough progress in the time he has been here is another question completely with a very different answer IMO.

20 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

To be fair we have progressed under him. We are on course to have finished higher domestically both seasons , we have done far better in Europe and we got to our first cup final in four years under him too. That’s clear progress from where we were two or three years ago and I don’t think anybody can deny that.

Whether that is enough progress in the time he has been here is another question completely with a very different answer IMO.

Bar Europe we've stood still imo, we've broke the rut against selik but still can't beat the other shite on a regular basis so it's all a bit pointless in the long run. 

He isn't learning either which is the biggest thing nobody seems to touch on. 

15 hours ago, British_Empire said:

I'm still backing him, but I've got my doubts about him.

Done a hell of a lot of good these past two seasons but still makes some stupid mistakes too.

Next season is the make-or-break as far as I'm concerned. No league and we look at other options.

As someone else said on here the other day, there's every chance the next manager that comes in provided he's semi-decent could win us the league due to the work Gerrard's done but it might not be Gerrard himself that does it.

Agreed. Needs to sort out the second half season plight the players seem to run into after new year is over. 

I'm still stumped by how that happens after playing so well beforehand. 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

We were finishing 3rd before Gerrard came in.  We’re now streets ahead of Aberdeen in the league.  Things have improved overall there’s question of that.

There was a recent interview with Beale in which he laid out several key points to explain where we were coming up short.  He said we had signed very technical players to make the 4-3-3 work.  In Europe you can see how effective this has been with us reaching the las 16 of the Europa.  Domestically the game is more physical and refereed differently as well.  He also pointed out the 4-3-3 counter press isn’t going to be as effective domestically since the oppositions first pass was often an 80 yard punt in to our own box.  I’m confident Beale and Gerrard know where we’re coming up short and can fix it.  They aren’t stupid guys.  

So, we’re in April 2020, they’ve been here since June 2018, and he’s only now realised this? They can’t be very smart either

3 hours ago, jjbscotty12 said:

He wasn’t even getting a game with genk and that’s the reason we got him so to suggest he wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Gerrard is a nonsense.  I’m calling bullshit on the Lazio link as I’ve only seen it printed in the daily record.

Think his Dad, Gheorghe Hagi encouraged his son to join Rangers/Gerrard. We wouldn't have been getting him if Pedro Caixinha was still our manager.

This whole stuff of changing our manager leads to nothing but instability.

8 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Think his Dad, Gheorghe Hagi encouraged his son to join Rangers/Gerrard. We wouldn't have been getting him if Pedro Caixinha was still our manager.

This whole stuff of changing our manager leads to nothing but instability.

We would’ve got hagi in the door if Caixinha was in charge he was at genk mate we are a much bigger club than them.

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Embarrassing is the morons clapping in the 8th minute and us losing to fucking Hamilton days after losing to Hearts in the cup. 

Even reading that is cringe.  A low point for our support.

Archived