The Gaffer

Blacky Bear

46 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

We all care about Europe tbh but Rangers managers are ultimately judged domestically.  Do you think we should’ve kept PLG in a job or Eck after he reached the last 16?

I'd loved do have seen this comment on here back in the Walter Smith days.  We were so bored of winning domestic honours we craved European success.  This guy, on the other hand, hopes we beat Kilmarnock...only then can we return to glory!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bluenose48 said:

Another sack the manager thread. To bring in who?

I'm not going to read the rest of your post.  Only to say I agree with what you've said right here.  Who will replace him?  Names:

11 minutes ago, bluenose48 said:

Given the players we currently have in the whole squad who do you think would perform better under any manager you care to mention.

Old saying " you can't make a silk purse out of  a sows ear "

Gerrard was not on the park passing the ball continuously to opposition players since the break. You can only coach and drill  players so much then its down to them and their desire to win. Tactics mean fuck all if the opposition doesn't  play the way you anticipate. It comes down to adaptability and our current squad  haven't read that chapter of the book. We can't have just one or two players off their game at any one time, we seem to have the lot of them.

Until we get someone with deep pockets to back us and lash out millions on top drawer players we have to go slowly one step at a time.

So for fucks sake get off his back.

Name one team in Scotland that surprised you by how they played?

33 minutes ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

The atmosphere at league games is non-existent at Ibrox. 

Whilst the European games aren't 90 mins of non-stop bedlam, the atmosphere is certainly cranked up many notches compared to domestic games. Which tells you that people do care about them. There is more of a sense of occasion. And the players feed off that too. 

It’s not really. It’s a library until something big happens.

42 minutes ago, bluenose48 said:

It comes down to adaptability and our current squad  haven't read that chapter of the book

Neither have our management team seemingly.

Predictable formation, predictable tactics, predictable team selection, predictable set up and predictable, mainly ineffective subs every week.

In two years we’ve tried 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 on no more than a handful of occasions and when those formations “haven’t worked” it’s been straight back to the 4-3-3 the very next game even though there are plenty of occasions when it hasn’t worked either.

I don’t want us to change managers at the moment but Gerrard and his coaching teams lack of adaptability is one of our single biggest problems at the moment.

43 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Name one team in Scotland that surprised you by how they played?

Bottom of the table Hearts 2 Rangers 1

Hamilton 1 Rangers 0 against a team we had humped 4-1 in the cup two weeks before.

Maybe not so much how they played but how much we allowed them to play.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Neither have our management team seemingly.

Predictable formation, predictable tactics, predictable team selection, predictable set up and predictable, mainly ineffective subs every week.

In two years we’ve tried 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 on no more than a handful of occasions and when those formations “haven’t worked” it’s been straight back to the 4-3-3 the very next game even though there are plenty of occasions when it hasn’t worked either.

I don’t want us to change managers at the moment but Gerrard and his coaching teams lack of adaptability is one of our single biggest problems at the moment.

Agree that the team don't adapt to change well at all and as I stated they have to be able to adapt to different teams.

There are teams that 3-5-2 works well against but you need players that can play in different shapes and it seems that at the moment we don't.

4-3-3 seems to be  the setup they are most comfortable with and it works with teams that sit off us and allow us to play e.g. Europe but in the more  physical SPFL a 3-5-2 I think would work better but we are not in control and until we become far more financial Gerrard and the current squad is where we are.

I’ve been a casual observer of Rangersmedia for a long time but tend to tune out pretty quickly due to the knuckle draggers.

Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinions but I would urge everyone who is not 100% behind Mr Gerrard to take some time during lockdown with a case of beer or couple of bottles of wine and sit and watch every old firm Match for the last four years and enjoy the progress.

We were so far behind it was unreasonable to expect us to get ahead because of a manager, but the enthusiasm, belief, outside interest and excitement the manager has brought back to the club has not only been tangible, it’s been infectious and something each and every one of us has a duty to get behind and accelerate.

Divided we are weak but united we will be strong and prevail and only when we all pull in the same direction will we truly progress, therefore, I would urge everyone to focus on pushing our team forward positively and not speculate about changing the manager, not just because he’s the best thing that’s happened to Rangers since the appointment of Walter Smith but also because we can only grow as a collective, pushing in the same direction.

47 minutes ago, Bleeds_Blue said:

I’ve been a casual observer of Rangersmedia for a long time but tend to tune out pretty quickly due to the knuckle draggers.

Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinions but I would urge everyone who is not 100% behind Mr Gerrard to take some time during lockdown with a case of beer or couple of bottles of wine and sit and watch every old firm Match for the last four years and enjoy the progress.

We were so far behind it was unreasonable to expect us to get ahead because of a manager, but the enthusiasm, belief, outside interest and excitement the manager has brought back to the club has not only been tangible, it’s been infectious and something each and every one of us has a duty to get behind and accelerate.

Divided we are weak but united we will be strong and prevail and only when we all pull in the same direction will we truly progress, therefore, I would urge everyone to focus on pushing our team forward positively and not speculate about changing the manager, not just because he’s the best thing that’s happened to Rangers since the appointment of Walter Smith but also because we can only grow as a collective, pushing in the same direction.

You clearly haven’t been going to games this year and your comment about knuckle draggers as your first post, makes you seem aloof at best 

SG still gets my backing, as long as players like Tav ,Davis few more others are nowhere to be seen next season 

I'd say keep him. The biggest problem is the players. If he can get rid of some of those donkeys and bring in some new guys it would be a huge improvement. I know the manager is to blame too but still he's not the one out kicking the ball. All he can do is give instructions. The players aren't listening or just not interested.

And if he goes? Who the fuck are we bringing in? If we hadn't got him we'd still be bringing in dafties like Warburton + Pedro. 

6 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

Given the players we currently have in the whole squad who do you think would perform better under any manager you care to mention.

Old saying " you can't make a silk purse out of  a sows ear "

Gerrard was not on the park passing the ball continuously to opposition players since the break. You can only coach and drill  players so much then its down to them and their desire to win. Tactics mean fuck all if the opposition doesn't  play the way you anticipate. It comes down to adaptability and our current squad  haven't read that chapter of the book. We can't have just one or two players off their game at any one time, we seem to have the lot of them.

Until we get someone with deep pockets to back us and lash out millions on top drawer players we have to go slowly one step at a time.

So for fucks sake get off his back.

Greame Murty would do a job wie these players imo

10 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

He would be the first Rangers manager sacked for losing a leauge that didn't  even finish.

Tad harsh imo. 

He's going nowhere mate - SG and his backroom staff have the full backing of our board.

I hope he proves to be the biggest winner we've ever had - because he has everything in his favour, including a 2nd rate manager in tlb.

4 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

You clearly haven’t been going to games this year and your comment about knuckle draggers as your first post, makes you seem aloof at best 

SG still gets my backing, as long as players like Tav ,Davis few more others are nowhere to be seen next season 

This exactly .. Tav's comments a few months ago do not belong to a Rangers player let alone the captain.

7 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

Agree that the team don't adapt to change well at all and as I stated they have to be able to adapt to different teams.

There are teams that 3-5-2 works well against but you need players that can play in different shapes and it seems that at the moment we don't.

4-3-3 seems to be  the setup they are most comfortable with and it works with teams that sit off us and allow us to play e.g. Europe but in the more  physical SPFL a 3-5-2 I think would work better but we are not in control and until we become far more financial Gerrard and the current squad is where we are.

We tried the 352 once against Motherwell, even though we dropped points that day I thought it was more individual errors rather than a system failure, anyway that was at the start of last season and it hasn't been seen since. 

I would keep him the now as others have said who will you get in especially at this time but he has to learn to change or him and his backroom staff will be off pretty quickly once the footballs back up and running. 

3 hours ago, BillyG91 said:

The biggest problem is the players. If he can get rid of some of those donkeys and bring in some new guys it would be a huge improvement.

Is that not a bit of a worry in itself considering that most of the players in the team who are letting us down are already his signings?

7 hours ago, Bleeds_Blue said:

Last season it was unreasonable to expect a challenge, this season after effectively going top at the winter break and with the easiest run in we could have picked up until the split then it's very reasonable to be expecting at least a title challenge not a full blown collapse for the 2nd year running. 

This pish about how far we have come as well, we are still finishing 2nd just now, be it by 10 points or 30 points 2nd is still 2nd and no amount of watching old games were the tims pump us is going to help. 

26 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Is that not a bit of a worry in itself considering that most of the players in the team who are letting us down are already his signings?

How many are his first choice signings though? 

Who we're after isn't often made public unless it comes off, but would we have been a better side if McBurnie comes in instead of Lafferty last season? Would a player like Longstaff in January last year helped prevent that collapse? Vydra this January instead of or as well as Kamberi?

There are probably others we haven't been made aware of that are better players than who we've got that ultimately we didn't end up signing.

It took us qualifying for the Europa league group to finally stump up the money for Kent. In general we're scraping the barrel whilst the scum spent something like £8 million on one centre half, £5 million on two left backs, then £5-6 million in January on two players who can't get anywhere near their team.

7 hours ago, Bleeds_Blue said:

Prick or fenian. Which is it?

8 hours ago, Bleeds_Blue said:

Getting closer to them in Old Firm games is irrelevant when we keep losing to Kilmarnock and lose to the 2 teams who are bottom of the league.

39 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Getting closer to them in Old Firm games is irrelevant when we keep losing to Kilmarnock and lose to the 2 teams who are bottom of the league.

It's not irrelevant when sorting out dropping less points against the poorer teams in the league should at least in theory be a lot less difficult than consistently beating the fenians and competing with good clubs in Europe.

What was the figure put on the two European runs, £15 million or something? 

We all want trophies and we'll get there if he's given time and resources.

10 hours ago, TMB said:

I'd loved do have seen this comment on here back in the Walter Smith days.  We were so bored of winning domestic honours we craved European success.  This guy, on the other hand, hopes we beat Kilmarnock...only then can we return to glory!

So you’d rather do well in Europe than do well domestically?

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

How many are his first choice signings though? 

Who we're after isn't often made public unless it comes off, but would we have been a better side if McBurnie comes in instead of Lafferty last season? Would a player like Longstaff in January last year helped prevent that collapse? Vydra this January instead of or as well as Kamberi?

There are probably others we haven't been made aware of that are better players than who we've got that ultimately we didn't end up signing.

It took us qualifying for the Europa league group to finally stump up the money for Kent. In general we're scraping the barrel whilst the scum spent something like £8 million on one centre half, £5 million on two left backs, then £5-6 million in January on two players who can't get anywhere near their team.

Excuses after excuses being afforded to somebody that weren’t to others.

On 28/04/2020 at 19:40, Blacky Bear said:

As it says, who still backs the Gaffer.

I would love to see him stay, but bridged by board to Staff back up of Sir Walter and Gallous Greame Souness 

Can you try that in the Queen's English please? Then perhaps those of us who are not mutants may understand the last bit.

43 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It's not irrelevant when sorting out dropping less points against the poorer teams in the league should at least in theory be a lot less difficult than consistently beating the fenians and competing with good clubs in Europe.

What was the figure put on the two European runs, £15 million or something? 

We all want trophies and we'll get there if he's given time and resources.

Doing well in Europe is irrelevant too in winning a league title.

Its easy to lift yourself for the bigger games it’s against the smaller teams you need to have the mentality and the players and manager have proved they haven’t got that 2 years on the trot.

Archived