Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

4 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

Just having a look through Transfermarkt at players out of contract this summer. There's a fair few that would be decent additions imo. Obviously the guys at the top are out of our price range but there's definitely a few interesting names further down the list. 

1 that noticed was Amir Dervisivic. Central midfielder that plays for Maribor and if I remember correctly had 2 good games against us last season. 27 years old, 6ft 4. 

Was he the big guy that wore 21 and had a good left foot?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G.E.C. said:

Was he the big guy that wore 21 and had a good left foot?

I think so. Took alot of their set pieces and had a great range of passing. I'm trying to think back and make sure I've got the right guy because they're was definitely 1 of their midfielders who looked really impressive. 

3 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Kent has the ability to be one of those players, don’t think we’re using him properly in this inverted winger/number 10 role 

Kent is a winger simples really .

For me this experiment of trying to turn him into a striker, like say Arsene did with Henry at arsenal, has failed.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but Gerrard  needs to get shot of this tactical guru of his and if he is deficient in this are needs to get a highly experienced assistant manager in  who will suggest tactics that play to our squad strengths not play players out of position coz the system is everything. 

Just plain nuts 

2 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

For me this experiment of trying to turn him into a striker, like say Arsene did with Henry at arsenal, has failed.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but Gerrard  needs to get shot of this tactical guru of his and if he is deficient in this are needs to get a highly experienced assistant manager in  who will suggest tactics that play to our squad strengths not play players out of position coz the system is everything. 

Just plain nuts 

I agree with a lot of that. 

I really like Kent but he needs to be played properly. A traditional winger, beating people, charging down the flanks and getting to the bye-line etc.

Him cutting in, trying to be the creative spark in the middle of the park and taking on too much responsibility himself, means it's easy for him to go off the boil and not really look up for it and (understandably) anger the fans.

Agree with you on the experienced assistant who can play to our strengths etc. Scottish football isn't rocket science. Less is literally more sometimes. No need to over-complicate it.

19 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Just plain nuts 

He’s more effective when he stays out wide and would get far more goals and assists, when he comes inside he more often than not is picked up by at least 3 men as teams crowd the middle of park against us, is baffling how if we the fans can see this a top class player like Gerrard can’t, he seems obsessed with playing the Liverpool way when we clearly don’t have the players to play it, and Liverpool won’t often come up against teams as defensive as we face either.

Indeed mate , teams play narrow against us because with the likelihood there will  only be either a 5'7" or 5'9" striker in the box why would you worry about crosses from wide areas which is where the space is. 

They trade off allowing a few crosses for  cutting down space in the centre , which  would make it difficult for Hagi or anyone else to find room for a pass.

Like you say , hardly complicated 

4 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Indeed mate , teams play narrow against us because with the likelihood there will  only be either a 5'7" or 5'9" striker in the box why would you worry about crosses from wide areas which is where the space is. 

They trade off allowing a few crosses for  cutting down space in the centre , which  would make it difficult for Hagi or anyone else to find room for a pass.

Like you say , hardly complicated 

Here’s hoping Gerrard drops the Liverpool obsession and starts playing to players strengths, I’ll cry if Hagi is on the right next season 😂

Being fair you really cant fault his system in Europe or against the mhanky mob  but it's against the rest of the domestic  teams that we are struggling and no matter what wee tweeks or personnel  changes he employs it wont work.

Needs major surgery domestically. 

4 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Being fair you really cant fault his system in Europe or against the mhanky mob  but it's against the rest of the domestic  teams that we are struggling and no matter what wee tweeks or personnel  changes he employs it wont work.

Needs major surgery domestically. 

I know it works in games where teams will actually come out and play against us, but we need to be more flexible in certain league games the majority of them actually, even fucking Lennon managed to figure this out, hopefully we’ll have a better squad this year which will give us more flexibility 

1 minute ago, southcoastbear said:

Plenty time yet but we really need a couple of strikers.

Cant see Defoe being more than a  bit part player.

Also desperately  need a genuine CDM and preferably captain 

I’m not sure it’s a cdm we need think Jack can play that role, we need a leader a dynamic box to box Barry Ferguson type beside him 

12 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I’m not sure it’s a cdm we need think Jack can play that role, we need a leader a dynamic box to box Barry Ferguson type beside him 

Not for me , Jack is better employed further forward  disrupting opposition  midfield  of better sides.

Using as when required might keep his knee trouble managed better 

22 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Jacks knee is fucked always injured we need to be upgrading him.

I'd like to see us redeploy Aribo back off the right hand side assuming we use a 433/4231. His form during December was impressive and his contribution improved massively. Once Hagi came in he was moved back to the centre and was less effective.

I thought Hagi was used wrongly despite being one of our better performers in the last few months. The manager misusing Hagi also had a negative effect on Aribo as well. 

Hopefully he kicks on in his second season.

21 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

I'd like to see us redeploy Aribo back off the right hand side assuming we use a 433/4231. His form during December was impressive and his contribution improved massively. Once Hagi came in he was moved back to the centre and was less effective.

I thought Hagi was used wrongly despite being one of our better performers in the last few months. The manager misusing Hagi also had a negative effect on Aribo as well. 

Hopefully he kicks on in his second season.

I like Aribo, on his day he's a good player but like the rest of them he can sometimes be found missing when it matters.

Another who's talent is 100% not in question, but his heart is.

Good footballer on his day, but if he doesn't fancy it he goes missing. 

A couple of games I sat and watched last season and he done that trick when he doesn't fancy it he moves from space and actually goes towards opposition players as if he's marking them, to avoid having to take responsibility.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that he has anxiety issues, and goes to counsilling for it. Which might explain all that above, but if you don't get better with help for that sort of thing then this is no place for you. Which is a shame because, as I keep saying, is talented.

46 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Jack is one of Gerrard favourites and probably 1st name in teamsheet if he’s fit he plays if we’re bringing in a cm it’ll be to play beside Jack not replace him 

He’s been here 3 seasons and he’s constantly getting the same knee injury  that is leaving him missing important parts of the season. Not good imo.

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I like Aribo, on his day he's a good player but like the rest of them he can sometimes be found missing when it matters.

Another who's talent is 100% not in question, but his heart is.

Good footballer on his day, but if he doesn't fancy it he goes missing. 

A couple of games I sat and watched last season and he done that trick when he doesn't fancy it he moves from space and actually goes towards opposition players as if he's marking them, to avoid having to take responsibility.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that he has anxiety issues, and goes to counsilling for it. Which might explain all that above, but if you don't get better with help for that sort of thing then this is no place for you. Which is a shame because, as I keep saying, is talented.

I think the move to the right side helped that though. He could go missing sometimes and in Scotland if you're a man down in the centre it's hard to to pick up from there. Aribo has the tendency to play well un the first half and fade away in the second.

That's why I think if we keep him out there he can flitter in and out without disrupting the whole team or effect the team, thus benefitting the team overall. In December when he was being played out on the right he got 1 of his 3 league goals and, more importantly, 5 of his 8 assists were from starting on the right.

Just now, SIRB_72 said:

I think the move to the right side helped that though. He could go missing sometimes and in Scotland if you're a man down in the centre it's hard to to pick up from there. Aribo has the tendency to play well un the first half and fade away in the second.

That's why I think if we keep him out there he can flitter in and out without disrupting the whole team or effect the team, thus benefitting the team overall. In December when he was being played out on the right he got 1 of his 3 league goals and, more importantly, 5 of his 8 assists were from starting on the right.

I'd defo be looking at a way to play him in a role he'd be comfortable in if possible.

We need as many of our talented players as possible playing in proper formations with roles they are comfortable with. 

It would help with the issues that's been well documented (hiding, no heart, confidence, running out of ideas against teams who sit in etc)

Archived