Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

If these players have not broken into the 1st team by the age of 20 then it's likely they are not good enough for the EPL.

It then becomes a question of whether they are better than youth we already have. That's a decision for the scouting team and Gerrard to make.

I don't see us selling or buying this summer. Everything will be too uncertain.

Small incremental improvements is the best that will happen. The current squad on their day can beat anybody in Scotland and could easily go deep in another European campaign. I am a glass half full type of person.  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I always wondered why this mythical Liverpool connection seen us hit with absolute nonsense like Ejaria and Ojo. 

If this connection was that good we’d have been looking at maybe taking Harry Wilson at the time etc. 

Brewster is probably the one where u think that’s decent. Still no 100% sure of loan signings anymore though, we always get burnt with them

Exactly Wilson is the one we should’ve been going for instead of accepting their shite 

10 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

If these players have not broken into the 1st team by the age of 20 then it's likely they are not good enough for the EPL.

It then becomes a question of whether they are better than youth we already have. That's a decision for the scouting team and Gerrard to make.

Small incremental improvements is the best that will happen. The current squad on their day can beat anybody in Scotland and could easily go deep in another European campaign. I am a glass half full type of person.  

If we don’t buy anyone else we might as well write next season off, of course we’ll buy ffs, fans aren’t going to sell out season tickets to see no new faces coming in 

2 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

If we don’t buy anyone else we might as well write next season off, of course we’ll buy ffs, fans aren’t going to sell out season tickets to see no new faces coming in 

You may be right. It is just a matter of opinion.

20 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

The current squad on it's day can beat anybody in scotland true.

But it's also showing it can't do it over the full course of a season.  2 years in a row we've been in good position pre winter break and falling apart post break. 

We need first team ready players that can improve on what we already have.

Transfer Market will be very different this summer for sure, but I still expect we'll do some business. 

1 hour ago, 6superbarry6 said:

It’s the start of June ffs and we’ve already signed Hagi, let’s wait till at least August before we get concerned 

Not concerned in the slightest. 

Just saying last year we were told quality over quantity. Need to wait and see where we are later in the window. 

Quite happy with the spine of our squad just now. For me certain starters would be: Shagger Tav (- no way he is not starting etc) Helander Barasic Jack Hagi Kent + Morelos. Build squad round that. Defo need another centre back + right wing + at least 2 strikers. Could also do with another attacking mid I think. Do we have Jamie Murphy back?  would defo bring him + McCrorie back into the fold. Hopefully no more Liverpool rejects this season!

22 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Gerrard wasn’t our manager at that point and the loaning Liverpool youngsters only really became a “policy” when he came to us.

Thought he was must’ve got my dates mixed up then, shame we couldn’t get him in would’ve made a big difference to us 

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Heard the exact same argument last summer and we signed Barker, a CB that was not required for the money spent and Kent who was here the season prior.

The quality required was not attained.

I agree, but we’ve a different DOF this season so let’s hope lessons have been learned 

Personally I am done with loan deals unless there is a agreed price to buy the player if we like him (Hagi).

I have no problem with cross border deals where we get a youngster with promise for a small fee.

Taking a punt in Eastern Europe does not bother me either. For every Grezda we may well uncover a Katic or a Barisic.

I am very much against going into the English market and trying to buy an established first team player as they are way overpriced.

Out of contract players - bosmans - are fine but we should be looking to bring a youngster in from the academy first. 

21 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I agree, but we’ve a different DOF this season so let’s hope lessons have been learned 

Hopefully mate. 

I think assuming no one is sold we need 3 more quailty players. 

I'd be looking for 2 x CM. 1 who can dominate and go up against hammer throwers. 1 with a good range of passing and creativity. Ideally also wanting someone that can shoot consistently long range to offer a different threat going forward. 

We also need a RW. Last season we have hagi, aribo and arfield out there and it didn't work. We need a player that can play their naturally. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Hopefully mate. 

We have a squad of 29 players currently and 13 could leave permanently or on loan and none would be missed.

A great summer would be 3 quality signings, 5 improved back ups and getting rid of 8+ not good enough. 

Never going to happen, would settle for two more quality players, 3 back ups and getting rid of at least 6 at the club currently.

Yep another 2/3 starters and would do me and some squad options, a right winger, centre mid and centre back, I’ll like to sell Tav and get a replacement in though 

9 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Hopefully mate. 

I think assuming no one is sold we need 3 more quailty players. 

I'd be looking for 2 x CM. 1 who can dominate and go up against hammer throwers. 1 with a good range of passing and creativity. Ideally also wanting someone that can shoot consistently long range to offer a different threat going forward. 

We also need a RW. Last season we have hagi, aribo and arfield out there and it didn't work. We need a player that can play their naturally. 

I think we need a centre back and hopefully a rb as well but obviously that’ll be dependant on Goldson and hopefully Tav going 

4 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Tbf it’s a similar type of signing that the taigs made with Ping Pong and he’s done well for them 

It's easy for a younger player to slot into a winning team like that, with players who have winning mentalities and other traits.

He'd slot into a team of shitebags with us, he won't be carrying us through any games I'd fear. I think that's the difference. 

You need to have the right players around these young players - or it's pointless. 

4 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

60% of our budget hasn’t went we’ll still sell out season tickets, infact with the new retail deal I don’t think we’ll be much worse off if at all 

If games are played behind closed doors until the new year https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52745468 then match day revenue will be zero from Aug to Dec.  That is a huge dent in the clubs finances. All clubs  will be hit. Its why liverpool have pulled the plug on signing a player for £50m.

1 hour ago, STEVEH said:

If games are played behind closed doors until the new year https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52745468 then match day revenue will be zero from Aug to Dec.  That is a huge dent in the clubs finances. All clubs  will be hit. Its why liverpool have pulled the plug on signing a player for £50m.

We have 46k season ticket holders and match day costs will be significantly reduced, I don’t think we’ll be too much worse off tbh, assuming season tickets sell out that is, think the big loss will be in home Europa league games so yes we’ll feel it there but hopefully the merchandise will compensate this 

Archived