Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Broxi said:

image.thumb.png.394ff65c5e2e1799ba77068b70cd7cc4.png

I'll leave this here again

He's not a poacher tho mate. The Queen of the South stats - try and investigate how many goals his muscle and power work gave Dobie. 

If you were to ask Dobie, I bet he'd lump a hell of a lot of praise and credit onto Dykes for the goals he scored himself.

Just now, British_Empire said:

He's not a poacher tho mate. The Queen of the South stats - try and investigate how many goals his muscle and power work gave Dobie. 

If you were to ask Dobie, I bet he'd lump a hell of a lot of praise and credit onto Dykes for the goals he scored himself.

We play with one striker though. Who's he going to set up? Where will our goals actually come from? 

Our team needs more goals, I don't see Dykes giving us that at all, either by scoring them or setting them up. We aren't going to play 2 up front, if we do it's because we're desperate in the last 15 mins of a game. And if Morelos is injured we're going to rely on Dykes to bag goals? Nah not for me

Just now, Broxi said:

We play with one striker though. Who's he going to set up? Where will our goals actually come from? 

Our team needs more goals, I don't see Dykes giving us that at all, either by scoring them or setting them up. We aren't going to play 2 up front, if we do it's because we're desperate in the last 15 mins of a game. And if Morelos is injured we're going to rely on Dykes to bag goals? Nah not for me

I know we play with one striker, but he's not going to be an automatic starter everyweek. If he signs it will be to change things up a bit in some games we aren't getting our way. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

I know we play with one striker, but he's not going to be an automatic starter everyweek. If he signs it will be to change things up a bit in some games we aren't getting our way. 

Don't see it mate, would rather sign Kamberi and have Morelos, Defoe and him - and I don't particularly want him either. 

33 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Livi apparently want 2m for Dykes 😂 that’ll be the end of that then 

I just assumed he was on a free. Don’t rate him really but would’ve been fine with us getting him that way as another option. No danger we should be paying anything for him, but £2m? Fuck off :lol:

3 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Don't see it mate, would rather sign Kamberi and have Morelos, Defoe and him - and I don't particularly want him either. 

again, the whole point would be to have someone big, a bully upfront. 

You don't get that with them 3 and I like all 3 of them (in varying degrees) ... in fact if you throw in Greg Stewart too, that's 4 who can play that role but with no big, phsycial presence. Not good enough for some games.

Just now, British_Empire said:

again, the whole point would be to have someone big, a bully upfront. 

You don't get that with them 3 and I like all 3 of them (in varying degrees)

People say that but isn't that what Morelos is? Fair enough he's not the best target man in the air though. 

Landing balls onto Dykes' head means nothing if he can't score them though

Agree to disagree

Just now, Broxi said:

People say that but isn't that what Morelos is? Fair enough he's not the best target man in the air though. 

Landing balls onto Dykes' head means nothing if he can't score them though

Agree to disagree

Morelos is tough, good at scoring headers but that's not the same as really being good at battles in the air tho. Not every ariel battle, or big defender you tussle with is gonna result in a goal, but it's about how things pan out tho - you bring others into play, create those half-chances and basically just set the tone against some teams. I think some folk are seriously under-estimating the need for that sort of presence upfront the way we play and how other teams play against us.

1 minute ago, plymouthranger said:

Novo scores about 40 goals a season in the lower leagues for Raith Rovers, everyone could see he had talent

And he was brought in to play in a two and act as a foil for Prso. It was clear he was too good for Dundee and the big man, little man combination was a well proven tactic at that point. 

4 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Novo scores about 40 goals a season in the lower leagues for Raith Rovers, everyone could see he had talent

Aye and then 25 for Dundee in the top flight. 

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Morelos is tough, good at scoring headers but that's not the same as really being good at battles in the air tho. Not every ariel battle, or big defender you tussle with is gonna result in a goal, but it's about how things pan out tho - you bring others into play, create those half-chances and basically just set the tone against some teams. I think some folk are seriously under-estimating the need for that sort of presence upfront the way we play and how other teams play against us.

I think people have jumped on this bandwagon but I would rather sign someone like Mirko Maric. Big tall aerial threat but is actually a talented striker who gets goals. I don't think you'll ever convince me that there's not better value than Lyndon Dykes out there

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

People have doubts over our defence, another big problem was the lack of players getting into the box. Would a switch to 3 at the back help both departments? 

We need to be much more flexible next year from a straight 4-3-3.

Exactly. 

Our inabilities to be flexible costs us (amongst some other things)

If you're a wee pish team that likes to sit in, we can be very easy to play against because of this - especially when we've got wingers that seem to cut inside all the time and not use the width/space to stretch these teams, tire them and create wee openings and half-chances. 

The groupings/doubling up and congestion that causes suits them to a tee.

It can be turgid to watch - unless we get an early goal in the first 20-minutes, then it's a different game after that. If we don't get that early goal, more often than not it's a long afternoon.

Just now, Broxi said:

I think people have jumped on this bandwagon but I would rather sign someone like Mirko Maric. Big tall aerial threat but is actually a talented striker who gets goals. I don't think you'll ever convince me that there's not better value than Lyndon Dykes out there

It's not a bandwagon, it's a legitimate piece of the jig saw that we are missing. 

The big guys with them tall, ariel abilities who score lots of goals costs multiple millions. They don't come cheap.

I'm not saying there isn't better out there than Dykes. I'm positive that there is, I'm only talking about what he's needed for.

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

It's not a bandwagon, it's a legitimate piece of the jig saw that we are missing. 

The big guys with them tall, ariel abilities who score lots of goals costs multiple millions. They don't come cheap.

I'm not saying there isn't better out there than Dykes. I'm positive that there is, I'm only talking about what he's needed for.

ah I mean the Maric bandwagon, not the type of striker 

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

People have doubts over our defence, another big problem was the lack of players getting into the box. Would a switch to 3 at the back help both departments? 

I said this in the Bundesliga thread a couple of weeks ago while watching the Dortmund v Schalke game.

I think the 343 that Dortmund are playing would actually suit us quite well. The 3 at the back would perhaps cover up some of our cb deficiencies, we get proper natural width from the wing backs who are playing further up the pitch as a starting point. It gives us real options on how defensive or attack minded we want to play with our midfield 2 and we have multiple options in who to play in the front 3. Whether it's that system or something completely different there's no denying we have to have something other than that fucking 433 up or sleeve. 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

As things stand our squad looks like this.

Goalkeepers - McGregor, Firth and McCrorie

Full backs - Tav, Polster, Patterson, Barisic and Bassey

Cbs - Katic, Goldson, Helander and Edmundson 

Midfield - Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, Hagi, Docherty and McCrorie

Wingers - Kent, Stewart, Jones, Hastie, Barker, Murphy and Middleton

Strikers - Defoe and Morelos

29 players. Only one winger is arguably good enough. 

Would be more than happy to see Firth, Polster, Docherty, Davis, Stewart, Jones, Hastie, Murphy, Middleton all leave one way or another. Expect at least 5 of those will go.

Hladky, Tapia, a quality CM and RW. With a back up striker, a winger and a full back required. 

Looking at that, I'm happy to give Jones and Murphy the benefit of the doubt until December and see how they get on.

I like Kent, Morelos, McGregor, Katic, Helander, Hagi and Barisic. 

Would happily cash in on Kamara, Tav and Goldson and (I'll get ready for the abuse) Jack (if it's good money)

Think sadly that Davis and Defoe are past it and probably (hopefully/shouldn't) feature that much.

Quite like Aribo and Arfield (when used right)

The rest I'm literally not bothered about. There's a lot of deadwood needing trimmed from that. We say that same thing literally every single season. It has to stop (the deadwood) 

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

As things stand our squad looks like this.

Goalkeepers - McGregor, Firth and McCrorie

Full backs - Tav, Polster, Patterson, Barisic and Bassey

Cbs - Katic, Goldson, Helander and Edmundson 

Midfield - Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, Hagi, Docherty and McCrorie

Wingers - Kent, Stewart, Jones, Hastie, Barker, Murphy and Middleton

Strikers - Defoe and Morelos

29 players. Only one winger is arguably good enough. 

Would be more than happy to see Firth, Polster, Docherty, Davis, Stewart, Jones, Hastie, Murphy, Middleton all leave one way or another. Expect at least 5 of those will go.

Hladky, Tapia, a quality CM and RW. With a back up striker, a winger and a full back required. 

What’s the big thing about Tapia? He wasn’t a regular for Feyenoord last season who are shite nor did he stand out at ibrox.

Not saying he’s shite or anything cause I’ve only seen that one game. Opposition players don’t tend to stand out to me in all honesty but I’m at a loss as to why I keep seeing people wanting him signed.

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I personally think this was the problem after beating the beasts. They went to 3 at the back with 2 up front and they were always going to score goals.  I think thats what pressured us into fucking up v killie etc.  With 1 up front its mostly snatching games 1 or 2 nil or 2-1 etc. We need to mix the formation up. No way we should play with 4 in midfield (2 defensive mids) at home

Archived