Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Worrying we haven’t been linked with a right winger 🤦🏻‍♂️

Farage is available after getting the tin tac from LBC. Great form in Europe but struggles domestically though.

Mail are saying that we're trying to sign a 16 year old wonderkid from Blackpool. 

Striker called Tony Weston, already featured for their first team. He can sign a professional contract in Scotland a year earlier than in England. 

6 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Mail are saying that we're trying to sign a 16 year old wonderkid from Blackpool. 

Striker called Tony Weston, already featured for their first team. He can sign a professional contract in Scotland a year earlier than in England. 

Was just reading about that ten minutes ago.

He might be a good prospect and might make good sense getting this lad tied down for the future - but that's 2 players like this we've signed in a week (3 when the boy same age from Ross County signs)

I think Mulholland and Murty is doing great work. It's the best we've been run at that level in decades, but is it all for nothing when we're signing these kids? 

48 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Was just reading about that ten minutes ago.

He might be a good prospect and might make good sense getting this lad tied down for the future - but that's 2 players like this we've signed in a week (3 when the boy same age from Ross County signs)

I think Mulholland and Murty is doing great work. It's the best we've been run at that level in decades, but is it all for nothing when we're signing these kids? 

Ross Mcrorrie is the only kinda regular the current academy has produced, no disrespect but it’s not as if we couldn’t go sign a player of that level from somewhere, I don’t see  muholland & Murty at the helm of the academy a success story at all , ultimately their job is to produce first team players , taking some games in , Mcpake has always been the stand looking as though he could step up yet although very young he struggled at Dundee 

3 hours ago, Cedrick said:

Ross Mcrorrie is the only kinda regular the current academy has produced, no disrespect but it’s not as if we couldn’t go sign a player of that level from somewhere, I don’t see  muholland & Murty at the helm of the academy a success story at all , ultimately their job is to produce first team players , taking some games in , Mcpake has always been the stand looking as though he could step up yet although very young he struggled at Dundee 

The youth development hasn’t produced anything of first team level for a long time ,Maybe Lewis  McLeod but even then he was doing the business in the lower leagues and the poor guy has been plagued by injury since he left ,The present group at the 17 to 18 age group are the best we have had in a long time ,A couple of years ago we had Mulholland doing an interview saying he was working on a project that would have the players far better prepared to be able to make the jump to the first team ,We do really need to see in the next year or so if this project really is working ,Really unfortunate timing for some of these boys ,if there wasn’t the 10 in a row pressure on maybe we would have the chance to see Patterson or Kennedy more as these 2 look the best prospects of actually progressing to first team level 

5 hours ago, Cedrick said:

Aye that's true I suppose. It's perfectly legitimate to measure how good a job they are actually doing by how many first team ready player emmerge from their set-up.

Their European results, and winning their domestic league a year ago is all good and well, but ultimately we need first team players or what's the point.

I have heard of Weston at Blackpool. I'm pleased we are starting to sign kids with quality. Before we didn't scout anyone, with the nonsense that was running our club. It's refreshing.

Not every player will make it. However, we are starting to gather what seems is a quality amount of players in the youth set up. We could see some move closer to the first team under Gerrard.

It's a daunting situation for our youths breaking through as they need to have a thick skin and not let the pressure get to them. Ross McCrorie has coped well with it and I thought Bates done well enough, however you can see from Middleton when he burst onto the scene everyone thought he was going to be a star but our fans quickly got on his back and it's knocked his confidence even though he's a stand out for our youths. 

A lot of our youths leave and end up doing well at lesser pressured clubs and that's why we don't get many youths breaking through as we are not patient with them and expect a finished article straight away. 

16 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

It's a daunting situation for our youths breaking through as they need to have a thick skin and not let the pressure get to them. Ross McCrorie has coped well with it and I thought Bates done well enough, however you can see from Middleton when he burst onto the scene everyone thought he was going to be a star but our fans quickly got on his back and it's knocked his confidence even though he's a stand out for our youths. 

A lot of our youths leave and end up doing well at lesser pressured clubs and that's why we don't get many youths breaking through as we are not patient with them and expect a finished article straight away. 

Do they? Genuinely can't think of anybody other than Fleck which was 10 years ago and he took ages to come good later. 

11 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Do they? Genuinely can't think of anybody other than Fleck which was 10 years ago and he took ages to come good later. 

They don’t. Most of our youths leave and end up journeyman pros at lower league clubs.  

Our academy is producing players that can compete with the best in Europe at that level.

Surely the whole concept behind the academy is to produce players that can be promoted to the first team squad. I can't explain why but that's where we fall down. Other clubs in other countries seem to manage it with ease.

There is a missing piece that I cannot put my finger on.

There’s a difference between producing players with the ability to be in the first team, versus actually giving them a chance. 

I don’t doubt there’s players good enough, but we’re not giving them a shot. Pressure and signing high paid dross puts paid to that. 

Archived