Bristol City Targets Gerrard

Ace

10 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

I find our lack of success and ambition under him and this board tiring as fuck. 

No Rangers manager should ever survive not winning anything in 7 attempts, fucking February :lol:

Serious question.... if Gerrard wins 55 will you and the few others actually say he is a good manager?

I ask because I have my doubts that there may be more underlying issues like  you don't like his personality, don't like scousers etc..

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

Bristol fucking City. Fucking hell. 

Genuine question, why not? 

They’ve been there or there abouts in terms of the playoffs for a few years now, have one of the best owners in England, are building a new training ground, fairly recently redeveloped their stadium, hw would probably get more more for transfers than he will get here and Bristol is an “emerging” City within the UK and it would only add to it’s reputation if it had a Premier League club too.

If he decides he wants to leave before he wins anything then he will not get many better offers than Bristol City.

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

An awful manager at Milan & Napoli? Are you kidding? He is one of the most sought after managers in the game.

Maybe we need a manager with his temperament. He was a huge success as a player playing with such passion.

I'm still on the Gerrard bandwagon however.

He was pish at Milan was he not? he was crap at Sion too. He's managed about 20 games with Napoli averaging 2 points a game. Don't think he's anything special tbh.

You might be right he's one of the most sought-after managers in the game. That happens. The amount of big clubs and job opportunities guys like Sven Goran Eriksson and a few others in recent years get offered or accept is mind-blowing despite being average managers. In my opinion anyway.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

They’ve been there or there abouts in terms of the playoffs for a few years now, have one of the best owners in England, are building a new training ground, fairly recently redeveloped their stadium, how would probably get more more for transfers than he will get here and Bristol is an “emerging” City within the UK and it would only add to it’s reputation if it had a Premier League club too.

If he decides he wants to leave before he wins anything then he will not get many better offers than Bristol City.

Good European team.   

Just now, DBBTB said:

They’ve been there or there abouts in terms of the playoffs for a few years now, have one of the best owners in England, are building a new training ground, fairly recently redeveloped their stadium, how would probably get more more for transfers than he will get here and Bristol is an “emerging” City within the UK and it would only add to it’s reputation if it had a Premier League club too.

I will tell you why not... David Beckham played for clubs above his weight. A good player but not good enough to play for the best teams around the globe. He did so because he was a marketers dream. Gerrard is similar. He is a world icon, albeit still learning his trade to become a successful manager. He is NOT going to manage Bristol City. His agent could find him twenty better offers within half an hour.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Serious question.... if Gerrard wins 55 will you and the few others actually say he is a good manager?

I ask because I have my doubts that there may be more underlying issues like  you don't like his personality, don't like scousers etc..

He needs to win the league cup first and foremost, the majority of the support imo will absolutely turn on him if he fails for the third year running, then again we did have spackers clapping for him on the 8th minute against Hamilton, a game which we lost. 

Right now imo he's not a good manager, his man management is all over the place, too quick to throw players under the bus, tactically inept and can't motivate players for bread and butter domestic games,record against utter shite like Aberdeen and Kilmarnock is embarrassing. 

I was very supportive of him up until our last game at Tynecastle, so to suggest that there's underlying issues as to why I don't want him here is nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

He was pish at Milan was he not? he was crap at Sion too. He's managed about 20 games with Napoli averaging 2 points a game. Don't think he's anything special tbh.

You might be right he's one of the most sought-after managers in the game. That happens. The amount of big clubs and job opportunities guys like Sven Goran Eriksson and a few others in recent years get offered or accept is mind-blowing despite being average managers. In my opinion anyway.

I don't think he was pish at AC, just a young manager still learning his trade. (like SG) He seems to have found his groove of late at Napoli.

If not him, then the only suggestion to replace Gerrard if it goes horribly wrong in the next few months seems to be GVB.

Yes we need to win the league right now but from a marketing point of few there will never be a better public figure than Gerrard. That point gets overlooked because of the starvation to win and I understand that.

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

He needs to win the league cup first and foremost, the majority of the support imo will absolutely turn on him if he fails for the third year running, then again we did have spackers clapping for him on the 8th minute against Hamilton, a game which we lost. 

Right now imo he's not a good manager, his man management is all over the place, too quick to throw players under the bus, tactically inept and can't motivate players for bread and butter domestic games,record against utter shite like Aberdeen and Kilmarnock is embarrassing. 

I was very supportive of him up until our last game at Tynecastle, so to suggest that there's underlying issues as to why I don't want him here is nonsense. 

I agree with your first paragraph.

I also agree he can be a little stubborn at times. I'm hoping he has learned. Like I said, these conversations become magnified if not explosive come December if all is not well.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

I don't think he was pish at AC, just a young manager still learning his trade. (like SG) He seems to have found his groove of late at Napoli.

If not him, then the only suggestion to replace Gerrard if it goes horribly wrong in the next few months seems to be GVB.

Yes we need to win the league right now but from a marketing point of few there will never be a better public figure than Gerrard. That point gets overlooked because of the starvation to win and I understand that.

We don't need a marketing guru/icon mate - we need a winning manager who knows what it takes. We're a successful (or were) football team first and foremost.

12 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I will tell you why not... David Beckham played for clubs above his weight. A good player but not good enough to play for the best teams around the globe. He did so because he was a marketers dream. Gerrard is similar. He is a world icon, albeit still learning his trade to become a successful manager. He is NOT going to manage Bristol City. His agent could find him twenty better offers within half an hour.

People said the same thing about Lampard and yet he went to manage Derby because he knew it was a good stepping stone to the Premier League and more specifically the Chelsea job. Bristol City would be a very similar opportunity for any young manager with aspirations to eventually manage in that league.

At the moment Gerrard isn’t getting a Premier League job because he isn’t good enough for a start and secondly I don’t think he could bring himself to manage a team against Liverpool.

If Gerrard was or is serious about leaving us and he got offered Bristol City I bet he would 100% consider it, not only for all the reasons I mentioned, but also for the fact that it keeps his family life easier than it would be if he was on the continent for example.

People act like certain things are beneath Gerrard because of his name value while forgetting that but he nearly took the  MK Dons job not long before he came here.

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

We don't need a marketing guru/icon mate - we need a winning manager who knows what it takes. We're a successful (or were) football team first and foremost.

Yes I agree,  first and foremost we need to win, no doubt about that but times have changed as well. A manager needs to be a marketable commodity. Look at Klopp, Pep or Mourinho and Ferguson of past years. They sell jerseys just as much as players. That is where Gerrard has always excelled. However, as a successful football manager goes,  it has still to be determined.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

People said the same thing about Lampard and yet he went to manage Derby because he knew it was a good stepping stone to the Premier League and more specifically the Chelsea job. Bristol City would be a very similar opportunity for any young manager with aspirations to eventually manage in that league.

At the moment Gerrard isn’t getting a Premier League job because he isn’t good enough for a start and secondly I don’t think he could bring himself to manage a team against Liverpool.

If Gerrard was or is serious about leaving us and he got offered Bristol City I bet he would 100% consider it, not only for all the reasons I mentioned, but also for the fact that it keeps his family life easier than it would be if he was on the continent for example.

People act like certain things are beneath Gerrard because of his name value while forgetting that but he nearly took the  MK Dons job not long before he came here.

Do you think Lampard deserved the Chelsea job based on his Medicare time at Derby? Absolutely not. He got the Chelsea job because no elite manager wanted it because of the transfer embargo. And now look at him until today). He is doing a fantastic job and I love him because of his belief in Billy Gilmore.

Gerrard will one day coach Liverpool. Of that I have no doubt. Whether deserved or not will be up for debate.

16 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I agree with your first paragraph.

I also agree he can be a little stubborn at times. I'm hoping he has learned. Like I said, these conversations become magnified if not explosive come December if all is not well.

And that right there is all we have unfortunately, hope. 

6 hours ago, peter huistra said:

I was thinking McAllister maybe . 

He's not gonna go anyway not this year maybe after Xmas depending on how the season goes. 

If Gerrard goes its a fair bet he takes his coaching team with him.

5 hours ago, KingKirk said:

If he goes I want Marcelo Bielsa to replace him he won't go tho

Clearly a good manager but someone who's team's have a real habit of falling apart at the end of seasons, just like our squad do.

I think he would consider it for the reasons dbbtb said. He's not staying here forever, if he left now that would be a reasonable team for him. His reputation is still very good in England. No trophies, but celtic were so far ahead and a great record in Europe.

If he stays and fails next year and is sacked, he will struggle to recover as a manager. If we win the title I think he will leave and move to a Premier league side anyway.

Archived