This Hagi Myth

BridgeIsBlue

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Id also like to point out that, just like arfield last season, hagi is playing slightly out of his natural and favoured position and in a system that he's had 11 months minus the covid shutdown to learn 

I said a few timea at home against the shite teams, a 4132 would be more than capable of horsing them, hagi in the middle of the 3 with guys out wide (wether its the fullbacks bombing forward or the other mids) and two strikers either dropping, making runs, doing both etc gives him a vast array of options that he can pick out

Remember its took gerrard over 2 years to get us playing like this, hagi has had 6 months in total to train and learn what some players have had years to learn, he needs time, games and a run in his favoured position

I'm one of Hagi's biggest fans but even I think you are giving him too much credit here. A player with his skills should be able to adapt better than he is at the moment. He is clearly lacking confidence and like Itten, he seems to be pressing and not coping to the pressure to succeed.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bluenoz said:

I'm one of Hagi's biggest fans but even I think you are giving him too much credit here. A player with his skills should be able to adapt better than he is at the moment. He is clearly lacking confidence and like Itten, he seems to be pressing and not coping to the pressure to succeed.

Skills can only take you part of the way at rangers, a mentality needs built, guys like hagi and itten didnt come from battle hardened teams that had the pressure of winning around their necks all the time

Plus skills or not, in previous clubs they'll have trained and played to a system, something built into them everyday till it becomes second nature, moving to us thats all tossed aside and the traininh literally starts again, especially itten who (like many of us pointed out at the time of his signing) played as part of a through the middle front pairing, i wouldnt be surprised if itten at his previous club spent 70% of his time focusing on his abilities inside the box, whereas here its 50/50 at best, maybe more aimed at outside the box work

Guys like that need time, hagi has one side of his game down, his skills, he needs time to adapt his mentality side imo, but lack of games at his age wont help

He's been awful all season tbh and the assist stats and odd good bit of play that lead to some of them doesn't cover that up for me. Needs to improve big time, starting to look like a player that Genk didn't want. It's a shame because we know he's capable of more

Plenty of players have had bad spells where they've looked way off the pace, then come back around. Sometimes for quite a while as well. Ianis' talent and potential is clear to see, he'll get there. We saw it last season, it hasn't gone away he's just off the boil, it happens in football. Hagi loyal

3 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Exactly - how far out of form do you have to be that you can’t complete a simple 5-10 yard pass to a guy in the same coloured shirt as you?

How complicated can the system be that he can’t adapt?

5 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

People wondering why a player who hasnt had much game time recently, plays in a team of guys that dont get much game time, on a shitty pitch against a defensive team, doesnt play that well? 

He barely plays well. He gets assists and shows for the ball but he’s been pish more than good.

Bottom line is he's massively underperforming.

His skill level I dont doubt, but bringing it into matchday hes again failed with the opportunity presented to him.

Others can talk about lack of match sharpness, plastic pitch, players not used to one another but thats just excuses. Some of his play yesterday wasn't anything to do with that, it was just poor play, wrong decision making, sloppy execution.

Only games I'd see him starting at present are the weaker teams at Ibrox. Hamilton type games. And that's nowhere near good enough for him or us.

• 2 weeks later...

I think tonight might be a great opportunity to start Hagi. He has a lot to prove this season and has generally had his best games for us in Europe. He can maybe kick on if he puts in a good performance.

That was mad when he hit that freekick with his left foot then took the corner using his right directly after. Can't argue with his technical ability.

Archived