Where will the gaffer look to strengthen the squad this summer.

I’m sure we’ve been linked with a couple of players from Serie A Jakub Jankto from Sampdoria and Skov Olsen from Bologna.

Probably talking £15 million to buy both of them but these two signings would definitely take us to the next level.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Problem is what level of striker is going to be happy playing second fiddle to Morelos, we probably need to sign a project striker similar to what Morelos was when he arrived, hopefully the scouting team can find us a gem. 

Either that, or one with the confidence that he can stake his claim as number one when rightly or wrongly Alfie is suspended again,  because with Scottish refs, and media, we all know it’s a certainty to happen again.

Focus has to be midfield.

Aribo is not, and never will be, a midfield player. It is one of the few areas where Gerrard disappoints in persevering with playing him there.

Which leaves Davis, Arfield, Jack, Kamara and Zungu. The latter is simply not  good enough. Davis and Arfield are the wrong side of thirty and Jack continues to miss a string of games every now and then. Kamara seems to be everyone’s tip to be sold although I wouldn’t take less than 10m for him.

Therefore we need at least two ready-to-go midfielders and the young guy coming from Bournemouth could serve as back up.

Katic, Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Simpson provide plenty of cover (not to mention Bassey, Mayo, Edmundson) at centre back although some of that lot will probably move on.

A promising young striker to replace Defoe would be ideal but we’re OK going forward imo. McGregor and McLaughlin between the sticks - sorted.

So all of our efforts must be midfielders for the first team, not squad players.

4 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Davis is in contract talks with the club.  He said it is a formality as he wants to stay.

Aye, Davis will probably stay one more year, although that presents the possibility of a 37 year old midfielder starting for us in the latter half of next season, which isn’t ideal (especially if we’re still in Europe).

I heard Løvenkrands say today that Shagger was going to wait until the end of the season to assess how his body was feeling before making a decision - so hopefully he feels like sticking around another season or we’ve got a keeper who’s often world-class to replace. 

6 hours ago, Cedrick said:

If the buff goes that’s a massive blow , wee ain’t replacing him no matter who wee sign , hopefully he fancies a crack at the champions league with us 

I'm holding out hope he might stay for Champions League.

But in reality I think he will leave. I'm glad he's done so well lately as think we'll get top dollar for him now.

I'll miss him massively - get a percentage of next fee agreed as I think he cld end up going for silly money.

10 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

We need to play one of these English cunt teams in the UEFA cup. After playing them we will see the value of our players. Those crazy bastards down south have way too much money but I don’t mind taking it off them. 👍🇬🇧

Euros too will give exposure to the likes of Barasic and Kamara, and to a lesser extent Helander and Itten. Croatia are always capable of a good run, Barasic has the jersey and his value could be inflated. 

I don't think we'll shift too many of our core starters unless we're offered silly money, that could happen, there's alot of it sloshing about in the Disneyworld set up down South. Ideally, if we maintain the same standards and progression of the past 2-3 years, we should be looking to move one marquee player on per season at £15M plus. That should be our model.

Loans I'm against unless necessary for coverage to injuries, or with a first option to make the deal permanent at the close of the season. I don't see why we should devote the time, money and effort into another club's asset.  

We must also ensure that worthy sell on's are attached to any player of note leaving us.    

One of Kent, Morelos or Kamara will be sold, hopefully just one of them. Hopefully not Kent, as I feel he’s the most difficult to replace of that 3. 

Assuming Balogun, Davis & McGregor extend, we’ll likely get by with our current GKs, CMs and CBs.

Goldson may be sold if he doesn’t sign an extension, but I doubt it as Gerrard would rather have him for another 12 months than get £4-5million for him. 

We need a deep lying playmaker a la Davis soon, but may get by until Jan if he still has the legs. We’ll definitely need another striker in the mould of Defoe, I’d expect us to try and pick up someone ex EPL for their experience

10 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Can see barisic being sold for good money, morelos, kamara and i dare say we'll probs get an 8 figure sum for goldson that we wont knock back

The likes of kent will attract bids but we'll knock them back as i see kent as someone who gerrard will do whatever he can to keep

Can’t see big Connor leaving .He is the one player that has complete passion for our club .He seems to be happy as a sand dancer playing for our club 

7 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

One of Kent, Morelos or Kamara will be sold, hopefully just one of them. Hopefully not Kent, as I feel he’s the most difficult to replace of that 3. 

Assuming Balogun, Davis & McGregor extend, we’ll likely get by with our current GKs, CMs and CBs.

Goldson may be sold if he doesn’t sign an extension, but I doubt it as Gerrard would rather have him for another 12 months than get £4-5million for him. 

We need a deep lying playmaker a la Davis soon, but may get by until Jan if he still has the legs. We’ll definitely need another striker in the mould of Defoe, I’d expect us to try and pick up someone ex EPL for their experience

Backbone and spine will kept. McGregor.Goldson ,Davis ,yes Davis and Alfredo hopefully  .I think the rest are possibly up for grabs at big money if offered.

8 hours ago, Cedrick said:

If the buff goes that’s a massive blow , wee ain’t replacing him no matter who wee sign , hopefully he fancies a crack at the champions league with us 

Yep .Hopefully that makes the difference .Hat trick next weekend incoming too😀

Keep the squad together outwith a few like for like replacements to qualify for the CL. Once we do that we are not obligated to sell anyone and if we do sell it wont be for pennies. 

I do think any signings management want should be done pre CL qualification. We've been down this road before when we get knocked out the CL early doors and then bring in some good players who could have helped (Kaunas '08 comes to mind).

I'd be extremely surprised though if Gerrard hasn't discussed with Wilson what he wants/needs for the team. I'm sure Wilson will have at least two or three names down for every position!

About Billy Gilmour as well there is a potential if we loan him there could be a possibility to buy the year after like we did with Kent.

He has rarely featured this season and even less so with Tuchel and his contract is up in 2023. Not part of the managers plans, as it stands, and a contract that would have a year left after a potential year on loan to us.

9 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

About Billy Gilmour as well there is a potential if we loan him there could be a possibility to buy the year after like we did with Kent.

He has rarely featured this season and even less so with Tuchel and his contract is up in 2023. Not part of the managers plans, as it stands, and a contract that would have a year left after a potential year on loan to us.

Even if Gilmour does leave Chelsea he’s on 40 odd grand a week and would easily get that at another EPL club 

13 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Even if Gilmour does leave Chelsea he’s on 40 odd grand a week and would easily get that at another EPL club 

No doubt a factor as well. It could be balanced out with wanting regular football, potential CL football, the chance to be managed by Gerrard and actually win some things.

It just depends on his mentality of course, typically once they're down there that's them. It's just no out the realms of possibility that we can sign him permanently.

I doubt he's the route we'll go down anyway!

Archived