Benjamin Mendy

On a serious note, where does this leave his career?

Is he still contracted to City....I doubt he will be able to pick it back up there, do top class teams look at him and give him a decent deal or will teams still be thinking no smoke without fire and inevitably avoid him!!

33 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

It's a horribly complex situation with a wide ranging amount of variables (just look at the Mason Greenwood case for an example).

There are most definitely more women who have been raped and not had a conviction against their attacker, in comparison to men who have been falsely accused. *I just want to say anyone falsely accusing someone of rape is disgusting and I couldn't imagine the toll it would take on the individual being prosecuted.

However my genuine feeling of concern here is the pile on those who have came forward, in this circumstance, it will only put off actual victims of rape from going to the police. Especially against people of a high profile.

I'm not speaking factually here, but only imagining it from, what I would perceive is a fairly rounded mindset. These situations will mostly rely upon 'he said' vs 'she said' because of a lack of evidence, unless the victim has been incredibly brave and went straight to the police, which I'd assume is in the minority. 

The sheer lack of cases brought forward for rape by the CPS and also then acquittals must surely highlight that.

Like I said it's complex situation and I don't know the answers as to how to fix that.

A quick google would show the stat of 'Less than 2 in 100 rapes recorded by police in 2022 resulted in a charge that same year, let alone a conviction'. 

Not everything I've said here is specific to Mendy's case, but the amount of people not being charged or found guilty of rape is a massive concern to me as it clearly doesn't 'add up'.

I think the video evidence helped his case but I wholeheartedly agree with what you said.

Former Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy has signed for Ligue 1 side Lorient five days after being cleared of rape.

The left-back, 29, whose City contract expired in the summer, has signed a two-year deal with the French club.

He was cleared of raping a woman and attempting to rape another at Chester Crown Court on Friday.

That followed a trial in January when Mendy was cleared of six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

Mendy became the world's most expensive defender when City paid Monaco £52m to sign the France defender in 2017.

He won the Premier League title with City in his first season before being part of the France squad that claimed the 2018 World Cup in Russia.