The other mob

MisterC

2 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

He's still playing in that same league..

yea i know, couldn't get on the Norwich side, comes to Scotland and plays with a dominant celtic side and scores a few and they pay 9.5 million for him.   you think he is worth that? 

19 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

yea i know, couldn't get on the Norwich side, comes to Scotland and plays with a dominant celtic side and scores a few and they pay 9.5 million for him.   you think he is worth that? 

Probably not, but he's a young striker with room to improve who has proven himself in the league.

It's £6m plus add ons. Think of the players we've spent £4m+ on who have been terrible. They've had him on loan, they know he performs in the league so they're paying a premium for that guarantee. They could probably go and sign a striker who looks better on paper, but you would rather have that safety of knowing he's already performed.

They don't have money issues so I would rather they didn't buy him and took a risk on someone else.

Also saying he couldn't get in the Norwich side isn't true. He played 34 games for Norwich that season before he moved to celtic, starting about half of them.

3 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Probably not, but he's a young striker with room to improve who has proven himself in the league.

It's £6m plus add ons. Think of the players we've spent £4m+ on who have been terrible. They've had him on loan, they know he performs in the league so they're paying a premium for that guarantee. They could probably go and sign a striker who looks better on paper, but you would rather have that safety of knowing he's already performed

Also saying he couldn't get in the Norwich side isn't true. He played 34 games for Norwich that season before he moved to celtic, starting about half of them.

Sky Sports are saying it’s 8.5 million, plus a million in add ons.

1 minute ago, Somemightsay7 said:

It's £6m plus add ons. Think of the players we've spent £4m+ on who have been terrible. They've had him on loan, they know he performs in the league so they're paying a premium for that guarantee. They could probably go and sign a striker who looks better on paper, but you would rather have that safety of knowing he's already performed

so why they loan him out? he done the business for them, no one is arguing that, im saying 9.5 million, thats the numbers quoted and im saying if true im glad they're spending a chunk of money  like that on him as i think he is way over priced at those numbers.  they are the dominant force and the amount of chances they get and create would mke it easier for him.  IMO he is never worth that.   id be raging if we sent that much on him. 

10 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

so why they loan him out? he done the business for them, no one is arguing that, im saying 9.5 million, thats the numbers quoted and im saying if true im glad they're spending a chunk of money  like that on him as i think he is way over priced at those numbers.  they are the dominant force and the amount of chances they get and create would mke it easier for him.  IMO he is never worth that.   id be raging if we sent that much on him. 

From my understanding he wanted to go to celtic and they brought in van Hooijdonk to replace him and that's why they let him leave on loan. Ironically he was terrible, hence why they were less keen to sell Idah this window. I agree I don't think he's worth that and they probably have overpaid, but they can afford it, it makes them better and it won't really limit them in other signings so I can understand why they did it. 

He's also young enough that even if he doesn't work out they can probably still sell him for £4-5m.

I would rather they spent £5m on a random Korean striker who might not work out than £9m on him.

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Theres a bit gaping hole in CM without Lundstram, our 10 can barley run, and Goldson is better than all of our CBs IMO.

Not going to argue for keeping Silva, but we are starting Scott Wright most weeks.

Every player you’ve listed above (while it was time to move on) starts most weeks with the current squad. 

Goldson might be better than Propper, but that aside we won’t miss any of those players - not for a second. Our squad isn’t any worse than last season’s. And we were very close last season to three trophies.

It’s in the same mould as the Jota and Carter-Vickers deals. £6M and £7M or thereabouts on converting their loan deals to permanent ones after initial success.

You could even throw the boy from Benfica in there, Bernardo. Has he signed for them on a full-time basis?

When you compare that to our £6M investment in Danilo, purely for example purposes, it adds to the frustration.

7 minutes ago, left winger said:

Goldson might be better than Propper, but that aside we won’t miss any of those players - not for a second. Our squad isn’t any worse than last season’s. And we were very close last season to three trophies.

Couldn't disagree more.

Sima is far better than Wright. Goldson is better than any of our centre backs. Balogun and Tav are yet another year older into their 30's. Cantwell, who is leaving, is better than Lawrence.

Also, needing 9 more points is not 'very close' to winning the league.

Just now, Somemightsay7 said:

Couldn't disagree more.

Sima is far better than Wright. Goldson is better than any of our centre backs. Balogun and Tav are yet another year older into their 30's. 

I covered Sima further up, and hopefully he comes back. Cerny looks every bit as good. 

Every one is a year older, ffs. Including Goldson 🤷 And Propper may well be better than him - certainly doesn’t look as if he’s got the same shitebag persona.

League fell apart at the end - that’s true, but right up to Ross Co fiasco we were right in it, and a last minute fuck up by our best player of the season lost the cup for us.

3 hours ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Couldn't disagree more.

Sima is far better than Wright. Goldson is better than any of our centre backs. Balogun and Tav are yet another year older into their 30's. Cantwell, who is leaving, is better than Lawrence.

What Goldson we talking about?

The Goldson from last season was horrific, I can't be arsed with people comparing peak Goldson against the shite we still have....Goldson hasn't been at his peak for two seasons now so let's stop this fawning over him....we aren't any worse off without Goldson this season as he was a liability last season 

4 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

The Goldson from last season was horrific, I can't be arsed with people comparing peak Goldson against the shite we still have....Goldson hasn't been at his peak for two seasons now so let's stop this fawning over him....we aren't any worse off without Goldson this season as he was a liability last season 

He wasn't great last season, but he's better then the likes of Souttar and Davies who we are relying on this season.

2 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

He wasn't great last season, but he's better then the likes of Souttar and Davies who we are relying on this season.

He was done last season, the Scottish Cup final was our strongest showing by our centre backs against them in ages with Balogun & Davies, we limited them to very little chances that day up until half the team including the two I just mentioned all played a bit part In the goal we conceded, Goldson wouldn't imo if still here be any improvement on Souttar & Davies.....and I agree they aren't at the required level

34 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Mate, c’mon.

He’s finished and he’s still better than Balogun, Souttar and Davies.

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Mate, c’mon.

He’s finished and he’s still better than Balogun, Souttar and Davies.

On what basis....he is fucking rotten now, can't run, pish at attacking the ball in the air, positionally all over the place, got bullied too many times, his passing was sometimes his only saving grace but even it was dreadful at times, I'm not advocating the others as they are shite aswell but that doesn't make last seasons version of Goldson any better mate, I was sick to the back teeth seeing him playing :lol:

Idah is a good signing for them - they can afford him even if he is just average but he pops up with goals when needed and he is completely different from the Furihashi (sp?) boy.

I am more worried that they have Hatate and Kuhn firing on all cylinders again - both had problems last year and had a miserable season but, effectively, they are like two new players for them this year.

On 13/08/2024 at 19:15, Monty Zoomer said:

Idah is a good signing for them - they can afford him even if he is just average but he pops up with goals when needed and he is completely different from the Furihashi (sp?) boy.

I am more worried that they have Hatate and Kuhn firing on all cylinders again - both had problems last year and had a miserable season but, effectively, they are like two new players for them this year.

Khun only joined in January and wasn't injured at any point

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

This is honestly one of the genuinely worst football takes I’ve ever seen on this site. 

Keepers - Kelly instead of McCrorie. No worse. McLaughin never played.

Defenders - Propper replaces Goldson, Jefte replaces Barisic - don’t see a downgrade as it stands.

Midfield - Barron replaces Lundstram - looks like an upgrade. Cifuentes and Jack out - meh.

Forwards - Sima a loss on the left, Cerny an upgrade on the right. Lammers out -  who cares. Silva out - had a few good games, but no real loss and an embarrassment against them. Roofe - who cares, never fit. Igamane in - dunno.

How is the squad worse than last season?

5 minutes ago, left winger said:

Defenders - Propper replaces Goldson, Jefte replaces Barisic - don’t see a downgrade as it stands.

Midfield - Barron replaces Lundstram - looks like an upgrade. Cifuentes and Jack out - meh.

Forwards - Sima a loss on the left, Cerny an upgrade on the right. Lammers out -  who cares. Silva out - had a few good games, but no real loss and an embarrassment against them. Roofe - who cares, never fit. Igamane in - dunno.

Based on the very limited minutes, as a defender Jefte looks a massive downgrade :lol: 

6 minutes ago, left winger said:

Each to their own, but this is wild.