World Cup - Qatar 2022

G.E.C.

VAR isnt ruining the WC, its the dreadful refereeing that is. Or at least the current rules not being fit for a game with VAR.

I would have agreed it was a pen if he had made contact with Messi before Messi had actually headered the ball over the bar, but that had already happened.

6 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Nowhere near a dreadful decision. If a defender is late and hits the player its a penalty. 🤣

Defenders make contact all the time without getting the ball and it's not a penalty, you literally get told to at least make contact in an aerial duel 

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

VAR isnt ruining the WC, its the dreadful refereeing that is.

I would have agreed it was a pen if he had made contact with Messi before Messi had actually headered the ball over the bar, but that had already happened.

Say a player clears a ball then gets hit?

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

VAR isnt ruining the WC, its the dreadful refereeing that is.

Would you say the same if a defender takes out a player after he hits the ball all because it he had already hit it?

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

VAR isnt ruining the WC, its the dreadful refereeing that is. Or at least the current rules not being fit for a game with VAR.

The fact it happened after Messi headered it is irrelevant 

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Would you say the same if a defender takes out a player after he hits the ball all because it he had already hit it?

To be honest, yes. It would not be as clear cut as here, but in a world where we have VAR, then yes.

If a player blazes a shot wide, and then is clipped after he has hit it, then the clip did absolutely fuck all in stopping the chance of a goal, so a penalty should not be given.

A penalty should be the punishment for interfering with a goal scoring opportunity.

12 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

If a keeper flies out to punch a ball, misses and punches my player I’ll be looking for a penalty.

For me, it’s when the ball is heading out the park and the advantage/chance is away it seems pointless but I’d take on the argument that you can’t just foul folk even if the balls going out of play. But gut instinct was nah.