World Cup - Qatar 2022

G.E.C.

4 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Hope these ***** get knocked out. Messi and all.

Can't understand how anyone can fail to enjoy this, apart from the Dutch. Football needs colour, diversity of characters. I want Argentina to be bastards. It's what they're there for.

11 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

All great players but Messi has achieved more than any of them ever had and played at a higher level for a longer period of time than the lot of them. Hes won more as well and the only reason he wont have a world cup is because Argentina have never had good enough players around him.

Everything you have seen Maradona do this wee guy has done it dozens of times more in major tournaments against the best defenders on the planet.

His level of consistency is one of the main reasons hes the greatest player theres ever been. Most people in the game know hes the greatest.

Yeah, for all the stuff about Maradona "singlehandedly" winning the World Cup, his teammates scored 9 goals in 1986. When he set them up, they scored. Messi has somehow apparently created more chances than any other player in World Cup history, and managed to take his country to a final, with his teammates contributing three goals on the way. 

1 minute ago, TheKingObv said:

It's weird, I definitely think Messi has been less successful, less likeable and less fun to watch since he started to develop a "personality" (i.e, get tattoos, go down more easily, generally being a bit of a dick) but maybe it's what he needs for Argentina, being a dick being the soul of Argentinean football and all.

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Can’t wait until France silence the English pundits.

This is where i get frustrated with it.

I want and hope for England to do well, but these pundits and their media just go on and on. If the media showed as much class and dignity as their team, i think more people up here would want them to do well. 

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

It's weird, I definitely think Messi has been less successful, less likeable and less fun to watch since he started to develop a "personality" (i.e, get tattoos, go down more easily, generally being a bit of a dick) but maybe it's what he needs for Argentina, being a dick being the soul of Argentinean football and all.

He strikes me as the wee guy at school who was an absolute geek, and then finally got off with a girl in 5th year and swaggered about thinking he was King Kong. Can’t wait until they get knocked out. 

7 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Then I am Simple Simon. 

Amazing player, but some of us are lucky enough to have seen Maradona in his prime. I started following the game in 1982, and have seen Platini, Zico, Zidane, Matthaus, Socrates, the real Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Baggio, Ronaldinho, as well as Messi and the more recent greats. My Dad is old enough to have seen Best, Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, Pele, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Beckenbauer. 

Messi is a genius, but to say he is way above Maradona and some of the names above. is just simplistic to say the least. 

Maradona remains the greatest I have ever seen, with Messi, Zidane and Ronaldinho just behind. 

I still don't get the whole Messi Vs cr7 debate. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

However all of us should have really enjoyed the fact we got to witness 2 of the games greatest at their peaks.

1 hour ago, TheKingObv said:

It's the fact they make no efforts to conceal how cuntish they are which is appealing.

This. I dislike players like Scholes, who was a nasty prick but pretended to just be a bad tackler and affected a shy persona. 

Argentina and Uruguay are committed villains, which the game needs. It's no coincidence that yesterday was the most fun game so far.

5 minutes ago, JamieD said:

This. I dislike players like Scholes, who was a nasty prick but pretended to just be a bad tackler and affected a shy persona. 

Argentina and Uruguay are committed villains, which the game needs. It's no coincidence that yesterday was the most fun game so far.

The guy booting the ball into the Holland dugout was full-scale shithousery and I'm here for it.