Allan McGregor awarded testimonial vs Newcastle in July

Bydo

27 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Players make much more than they used to.

I'd like to think that I would put a substantial ammount to charity if it were me.

Most footballers help charities out during their careers and make a huge difference. Visiting sick people in hospital, turning up at peoples doors and wishing them well, signing shirts and making personal appearances for example.

Rangers as a Club do really well to promote charity and it is something we should all be proud of.

Absolutely they do, but they are retired (usually) for longer than they have played. Not everyone has made sound investments and not everyone has a set career path following their football career. I've no doubt shagger won't struggle for cash when he hangs up his gloves but he's earned a testimonial for his service to the club in both spells, and well worthy of his final payday.

9 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Absolutely they do, but they are retired (usually) for longer than they have played. Not everyone has made sound investments and not everyone has a set career path following their football career. I've no doubt shagger won't struggle for cash when he hangs up his gloves but he's earned a testimonial for his service to the club in both spells, and well worthy of his final payday.

Shagger deserves all the accolades going. 500 games plus for Rangers. A fantastic goalkeeper and a mentor to so many. 

He will be sitting in his house watching Rangers play in a few months time and will still go anssolutely ballistic if we lose a goal.

Hope he has his TV insured for 'accidental' damage. 

8 hours ago, stevemac said:

Not for me. It's a footballer's problem if they haven't invested wisely. Shagger will have earned millions upon millions in his time, which should be enough to see him the rest of his life. If he spends it all early, that's up to him. Don't see why he should be subsidised if he chose to live the high life with it.

A run of the mill player that wasn't paid much I can get, but even then not sure I get why we should be giving them a big payday to help their retirement rather than them just having to find another job.

An appreciation testimonial I think would be fine, but it should be with cash going to charity or something.

2 hours ago, left winger said:

I’ll take the boys - they haven’t seen Newcastle before, but a testimonial for someone who’s probably a millionaire? 

Does it not state in the initial link that the money is going to charities that McGregor chooses..??

Oh it's a percentage...

On 02/04/2023 at 08:22, left winger said:

I’ll take the boys - they haven’t seen Newcastle before, but a testimonial for someone who’s probably a millionaire? 

Stupid comment 

It’s about showing our appreciation for someone who has had a long and fantastic career with us. His chosen charities will also benefit.  
In today’s football environment players staying put for a long time is rare. 
Take your boys and enjoy yourself they will love it. 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Stupid comment 

It’s about showing our appreciation for someone who has had a long and fantastic career with us. His chosen charities will also benefit.  
In today’s football environment players staying put for a long time is rare. 
Take your boys and enjoy yourself they will love it. 

All of which can be done without boosting his bank balance.

And I know my boys will love it, thanks. That’s why we’re going.

1 hour ago, left winger said:

All of which can be done without boosting his bank balance.

And I know my boys will love it, thanks. That’s why we’re going.

It's not like he's getting a match win bonus ffs 😂