Underrated players from yesteryear

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

I remember reading an interview with Owen Hargreaves where he said that Effenberg was extremely hard on him as a young player, but then he would go out and do press conferences where he would take all the flak for Hargreaves or anyone else who was underperforming, and that's the kind of captain Hargreaves wanted. 

Effenberg, alongside maybe Roy Keane, is probably the best midfielder I've seen for on the park leadership too. Always taking responsibility, offering for the ball in tough positions when team mates were struggling and not wanting the ball, driving his team forward, not hiding etc. 

Football is much poorer as a spectacle in the modern era where three man midfields mean midfield generals just aren't a thing anymore.

On 12/09/2023 at 10:52, Somemightsay7 said:

Beckham I think is vasty underrated. Giggs too, he's obviously turned into a prick, but footballing wise he was unreal.

Someone like Gary Neville too. A lot of people talk about him like he was a bad fullback when he was genuinely one of the best in the world for his time. The full back role has changed massively since he played so to compare him to the attacking fullbacks of today doesn't make sense.

Another is Ledley King, injuries aside, I don't think people realise just how unbelievable a defender he was.

Neville was fucking tremendous, man united did alright for fullbacks under fergie, irwin was one of the best left backs in his time, he fair got up and down the park like todays fullbacks no bother

3 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Effenberg, alongside maybe Roy Keane, is probably the best midfielder I've seen for on the park leadership too. Always taking responsibility, offering for the ball in tough positions when team mates were struggling and not wanting the ball, driving his team forward, not hiding etc. 

Football is much poorer as a spectacle in the modern era where three man midfields mean midfield generals just aren't a thing anymore.

The EPL years where Keane and Viera used to wage war on each other was unbelievable viewing, absolute leaders

25 minutes ago, 32Blue said:

Both imperious players. Keane in particular just didn't give the ball away.

It was great they literally were face to face on the field, some rivalries could spend a lot of the game not going at it for one reasob or another

But these two, right in the centre of it all, right at the heart of their teams, it was 90mins of war, 

Turkyilmaz was an underrated baller.

The first player I clearly remember tearing us to shreds and being stunned that Rangers, who at 8 years old I still thought were the best team in the world at that point, were getting run ragged by one guy who I had never even heard of before.

16 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Turkyilmaz was an underrated baller.

The first player I clearly remember tearing us to shreds and being stunned that Rangers, who at 8 years old I still thought were the best team in the world at that point, were getting run ragged by one guy who I had never even heard of before.

Thought you were talking about Ridvan there for a minute 

On 12/09/2023 at 10:52, Somemightsay7 said:

Beckham I think is vasty underrated. Giggs too, he's obviously turned into a prick, but footballing wise he was unreal.

Someone like Gary Neville too. A lot of people talk about him like he was a bad fullback when he was genuinely one of the best in the world for his time. The full back role has changed massively since he played so to compare him to the attacking fullbacks of today doesn't make sense.

Another is Ledley King, injuries aside, I don't think people realise just how unbelievable a defender he was.

Neville was a tremendous full back in his prime it's a shame he's so harshly remembered now.

On 12/09/2023 at 19:23, stuart1994 said:

Mousa Dembélé, was unplayable at Spurs. Just an absolute monster and bully with the feet of ballerina.  

That was a hell of a shout a fantastic player. I think he's still playing now actually.