Underrated players from yesteryear

5 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

5 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Robert Prozinestski (done off the top of my head so might be the wrong spelling.)

What a player he was.

Reminds me of Walter going to scout Red Star Belgrade when we were due to play them in the European cup . When Souness asked for the report , Walter allegedly just replied " We're Fucked " .

11 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Robert Prozinestski (done off the top of my head so might be the wrong spelling.)

What a player he was.

The pass he played in behind our defence for a John Brown own goal in 1990 is one of the best passes I have ever seen in my life. A genius. 

6 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Just because it entertains me to make folk feel old I was 4 then

I was two. 

I met Red Star's goalkeeper, Stojanovic, a few years back at their stadium, and when I told him I was two when they beat us he looked very sad. :lol:

14 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Stefan Effenberg probably should have been a Ballon d'Or winner, and was easily worthy of it in 2000/01, but was such a cunt to fans, teammates, managers and press alike that he had no chance.

Watched a video about him recently. Seemed like an utter moron

I don’t know if somebody who’s in the top scorers of all time for Seire A can truly be considered “underrated” but see when people talk about great Seire A strikers of the 90’s hardly anybody mentions Beppe Signori these days even though if you watch a reel of his best goals he goes on runs, dribbles past players and scores goals that Prime Messi would have been proud of.

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I don’t know if somebody who’s in the top scorers of all time for Seire A can truly be considered “underrated” but see when people talk about great Seire A strikers of the 90’s hardly anybody mentions Beppe Signori these days even though if you watch a reel of his best goals he goes on runs, dribbles past players and scores goals that Prime Messi would have been proud of.

Loved him. If he had a better world cup in 1994 he probably would have a much better historical reputation, because he was easily one of the top forwards in Serie A during its strongest era.

On 09/09/2023 at 22:52, the goal machine said:

Beckham genuinely gets underrated as a player because of his fame. Keane is starting to get underrated as well, people think he was just a hard man but his short range passing was always on point. And he was a great box to box midfielder when he was younger. Sheringham was a great player as well.

Players like Totti, Del Piero and Raul don’t really get talked about anymore despite being world class. Mendieta, Rui Costa as well were class acts.

I think Maicon gets underrated because of what Bale did against him. And because he wasn’t quite Dani Alves, but he was a superb RB for a good number of years.

Other random ones are Clint Dempsey, Sami Khedira, Lucio.

Always thought Beckham was overrated myself. Couldn’t lace Paul Scholes boots footballing wise

54 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Always thought Beckham was overrated myself. Couldn’t lace Paul Scholes boots footballing wise

One of the best long passers, free kick taker and crossers of a ball there’s been though, albeit besides his stamina everything else in his game no better than good.

3 hours ago, JamieD said:

Stefan Effenberg probably should have been a Ballon d'Or winner, and was easily worthy of it in 2000/01, but was such a cunt to fans, teammates, managers and press alike that he had no chance.

I was utterly convinced this was the name of a tennis player from back in that time period, not a footballer!

Mind is playing tricks on me!

8 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I was utterly convinced this was the name of a tennis player from back in that time period, not a footballer!

Mind is playing tricks on me!

Amazingly, out of the two, only the kind, classy and gentlemanly Stefan Edberg has killed a man, not the fierce, malignant Stefan Effenberg.

On 09/09/2023 at 22:52, the goal machine said:

Beckham genuinely gets underrated as a player because of his fame. Keane is starting to get underrated as well, people think he was just a hard man but his short range passing was always on point. And he was a great box to box midfielder when he was younger. Sheringham was a great player as well.

Players like Totti, Del Piero and Raul don’t really get talked about anymore despite being world class. Mendieta, Rui Costa as well were class acts.

I think Maicon gets underrated because of what Bale did against him. And because he wasn’t quite Dani Alves, but he was a superb RB for a good number of years.

Other random ones are Clint Dempsey, Sami Khedira, Lucio.

Beckham I think is vasty underrated. Giggs too, he's obviously turned into a prick, but footballing wise he was unreal.

Someone like Gary Neville too. A lot of people talk about him like he was a bad fullback when he was genuinely one of the best in the world for his time. The full back role has changed massively since he played so to compare him to the attacking fullbacks of today doesn't make sense.

Another is Ledley King, injuries aside, I don't think people realise just how unbelievable a defender he was.

On 11/09/2023 at 23:18, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The thing about Signori was he had a weak as piss mentality. He wasn't a winner.

Sven Goran Eriksson sidelined him basically as soon as he was in the door at Lazio as he realised straight away he was a bad influence on the team with no true desire despite being the captain and top scorer. The Lazio ultras smashed up Eriksson's  car for it. Lazio went on to have their most successful spell ever though with him away.

On 11/09/2023 at 21:38, JamieD said:

One of my favourites ever, despite being a knob. 

How that Bayern side had Effenberg, Kahn and Matthaus in the same dressing room and still functioned is a mystery. Probably down to Hitzfield.

3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

One of my favourites ever, despite being a knob. 

How that Bayern side had Effenberg, Kahn and Matthaus in the same dressing room and still functioned is a mystery. Probably down to Hitzfield.

I remember reading an interview with Owen Hargreaves where he said that Effenberg was extremely hard on him as a young player, but then he would go out and do press conferences where he would take all the flak for Hargreaves or anyone else who was underperforming, and that's the kind of captain Hargreaves wanted.