Scottish Americans wanted to buy Rangers

22 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

They could easily just come in and ramp up the revenue. 

We don't have any FFP issues.

One of the areas you actually can invest in is stadium where you could maybe increase revenue, but the idea that an owner can just come in and plough money in for players is just nuts. We might not have FFP issues but we would soon have them if we just started spending silly amounts. This is why we need to regularly sell players for big fees. It will help up a lot.

21 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

And they are trying to close those loopholes.. like when owners sponsor the team with crazy deals. I think thats one of the charges that City are up for.

True, but again it is scales of investment we are talking about. You don’t need to find a way to get £100M a season in. Putting £15 - £20M a season in above what we spend just now would soon have significant impact. A combination of boosted sponsorship and investment in off field stuff (stadium expansion and improved facilities like EH) could cover a large chunk of that without needing to be too creative although some may be longer term.

Also as above if you have a larger budget player trading model is far less risky. The league we play in we don’t need £30/£40/£50M signings to dominate, having the funds for 2 or 3 £5M to £10M signings each season and also be able to supplement that with bringing in some of the better SPFL talent as back ups (whereas just now signing a Shankland / Miovski / Miller would be a significant chunk of our transfer budget) should be enough to dominate.

20 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

It’s not glamorous, there’s no profit, there’s no competition and nothing that strokes their ego like a big name player standing beside them holding the shirt and on £200k a week contract 

just a guess why they’re not queuing up 

Also fair points, however as crap as the rest of Scottish football is very few teams in England are going to give someone a stadium like ours, a pretty straightforward route to silverware (always nice for owners to be able to hold up tropheys) and pretty easy access to CL (or EL at worse). To do that in England you need to be parting with serious cash even to buy into the club, before you even look at what you need to spend to break in to the top 6. My argument isn’t as much it matches the glamour of being involved with top flight EPL, more that it is a much more “affordable” way to get involved and get some of that glamour.

7 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Fuck being owned by a national who would refer to our great  Club as a "soccer team'.

Cringeworthy.

:unsure:

I might be alone here (although I doubt it) but if we are consistently winning trophies I’m not really going to be too fussed what they are calling the sport.

33 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Fuck being owned by a national who would refer to our great  Club as a "soccer team'.

Cringeworthy.

:unsure:

I’d be happy with somebody that called it ‘head and foot air bag’ if we went back to putting the tramps in their place.

37 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Ffs keep that shite to the politics section. Imagine trying to wind up the Rangers support by suggesting someone who backed the IRA buy them over. Catch a grip 

I got a good bit of mileage out of a thread I started suggesting this years ago, probably early 2010s iirc 

1 hour ago, rossco87 said:

True, but again it is scales of investment we are talking about. You don’t need to find a way to get £100M a season in. Putting £15 - £20M a season in above what we spend just now would soon have significant impact. A combination of boosted sponsorship and investment in off field stuff (stadium expansion and improved facilities like EH) could cover a large chunk of that without needing to be too creative although some may be longer term.

Also as above if you have a larger budget player trading model is far less risky. The league we play in we don’t need £30/£40/£50M signings to dominate, having the funds for 2 or 3 £5M to £10M signings each season and also be able to supplement that with bringing in some of the better SPFL talent as back ups (whereas just now signing a Shankland / Miovski / Miller would be a significant chunk of our transfer budget) should be enough to dominate.

Also fair points, however as crap as the rest of Scottish football is very few teams in England are going to give someone a stadium like ours, a pretty straightforward route to silverware (always nice for owners to be able to hold up tropheys) and pretty easy access to CL (or EL at worse). To do that in England you need to be parting with serious cash even to buy into the club, before you even look at what you need to spend to break in to the top 6. My argument isn’t as much it matches the glamour of being involved with top flight EPL, more that it is a much more “affordable” way to get involved and get some of that glamour.

Bottom line Scottish football isn’t sexy enough for many. We’d be better off bought as a pet project by two Hollywood B listers with a failed career looking for a fast buck on Netflix 

3 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

We wouldn’t need to spend silly amounts. 20 or so million would make a massive difference in this league

Yea I know what you are saying. It was more a comment to people who think that getting a Billionaire in means we will spend silly amounts. Its simply not possible for Clubs with our revenue.

8 hours ago, johanhentze said:

Yea I know what you are saying. It was more a comment to people who think that getting a Billionaire in means we will spend silly amounts. Its simply not possible for Clubs with our revenue.

They wouldn’t also do it for nothing. They would be looking for a return, which is why they are loaded.  

18 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

We wouldn’t need to spend silly amounts. 20 or so million would make a massive difference in this league

Would make us competitive in Europa as well look at Atalanta, their wage bill is similar but they’ve spent the money on transfers to get the right players in 

1 hour ago, The Hammer 11 said:

Would make us competitive in Europa as well look at Atalanta, their wage bill is similar but they’ve spent the money on transfers to get the right players in 

Its easier for clubs like atalanta etc to attract players though, players with international ambitions and ambitions to move on would favour a move with lesser wages to clubs in better leagues

If us and atalanta went for the same player, chances are we'd need to offer more wages than them just cause scotland is fucking bollocks

10 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

We did the seville season iirc, we were on a watch list till we made the final, sold patterson and Gerrard compo money etc

We were only on that watch list because of the covid payment we got, a bunch of other clubs were on it for the same reason. 

Wages are going to be an issue soon when they drop the % to 60 but we have no problems.

On 16/07/2024 at 20:07, Rowley Birkin said:

this place would implode if a certain Presbyterian billionaire of scottish heritage bought out the current board :lol:

Who dat?