Do we need a replacement for Cousin?

nvager

We have JCD, Boyd, Novo, Naismith, Lennon who can all play up front.

WS may need to play 2 up front if JCD gets injured, but we CAN cope.

Better to spend the money on a quality attacking midfielder or another Cuellar type if Webster is not fit?

What do you all think?

tbh im happy with the size of squad as it is and i think selling one or two players to balance the books will be ok, players like cousin who openly critised his own team mates should not be playing for us anyhow, also i wonder if the story would have been different for him should we have had been in the Champs league, we have 2/3 players for every position now and its been a long time since we have had that kind of depth

disappointing if Cousin leaves but when our strikers are fit we do have good options up front..but Cousin IMO was our best striker

Novo/Boyd/Naismith/JCD/Buffel are all good enough

Id like to see us get a CB and a midfielder..but i cant see us signing anyone

I don't get all these calls for us to sign a centre half. We shouldn't spend one penny of that money on a centre half as we are more than equipped in that area to get us through to the summer and then we need to look for a leader and organiser to replace Weir.

IMO this money should go towards signing a like for like replacement for Cousin and possibly a versatile midfielder who can play in a few positions aswell as a cheaper squad player who has a similar style of play to Thomson.

Better to spend the money on a quality attacking midfielder or another Cuellar type if Webster is not fit?

What do you all think?

Good morning Nvager! If Cousin goes,we will have to replace him ASAP. None of the above mentioned can win a ball in the air,unfortunately. :(

I don't think we do need to replace him, if JCD has gotten over his niggling injuries, and the signs from Ibrox is that because of the enforced break he now has then he can cover this role. I know Cousin has done well for us but I think JCD, fully fit would be better.

If Cousin does agree terms then I say bank the money until the summer and then look at our options then with regards to the whole squad.

As been pointed out, we have Novo, JCD, Naismith, Boyd, Lennon and McCulloch who can all be classed as strikers. We also still have on our books Buffel and Gow who can play in attacking roles, then we have other youngsters like Shinnie and Fleck who could now be given a chance.

As I've said in other threads, on the one hand we all want our younger plays to be given a chance, but then some of us turn round and say that as soon as someone is injured or leaves we must get a replacement. We can't have it both ways, if Cousin does leave then our squad is still big enough and strong enough to cope and win the league this season.

What do you all think?

Good morning Nvager! If Cousin goes,we will have to replace him ASAP. None of the above mentioned can win a ball in the air,unfortunately. :(

As Muffger pointed out, McCulloch could/can/is play as a striker and he can win the ball in the air. Boyd can sometimes be pretty good in the air, not necessarily in the holding position but in a striking position.

Cousin definitely needs to be replaced now that it seems he is going to Fulham, not replacing him would be too big a risk and would be mismanagement by the club.

The decision to accept a £3 million bid is correct as it shows a great piece of business.

It also appears that Buffel has no future at the club as he is not getting near a game, i suggest selling Buffel and putting any money from that sale together with the Cousin money and purchasing a higher quality attacking midfielder or striker that will see us through the remainder of the season.

I didnt think we needed to buy in this window but Cousins departure changes that and we have came too far this season to risk not getting a quality replacement in ASAP. It could be the difference between success and failure this season.

Cousin definitely needs to be replaced now that it seems he is going to Fulham, not replacing him would be too big a risk and would be mismanagement by the club.

The decision to accept a £3 million bid is correct as it shows a great piece of business.

It also appears that Buffel has no future at the club as he is not getting near a game, i suggest selling Buffel and putting any money from that sale together with the Cousin money and purchasing a higher quality attacking midfielder or striker that will see us through the remainder of the season.

I didnt think we needed to buy in this window but Cousins departure changes that and we have came too far this season to risk not getting a quality replacement in ASAP. It could be the difference between success and failure this season.

we wouldn't get much for buffel since he has been injured for a long time and has only played 15 mins of competitive football since having recovered(only walter knows why! doh )

i really don't understand why we don't play buffel in midfield - at least as long as kevin thomson is out - and spend the cousin money either on one decent striker or one decent defender - not two half-decent players, please!

If we are to persevere with this formation, we need to replace Cousin.

Maybe, but is Luke Moore at less than 6' tall the answer and should we not be playing a formation to suit the players we have available?

As I said before I trust WS in what he does or is able to do in this window.

If we are to persevere with this formation, we need to replace Cousin.

Maybe, but is Luke Moore at less than 6' tall the answer and should we not be playing a formation to suit the players we have available?

As I said before I trust WS in what he does or is able to do in this window.

No Moore is not the answer to this formation dilema either as he is not a target man. If he doesnt replace Cousin with a Cousin-type of striker, he should change the system to accomodate what we have.

I trust Walter, but some see that as anti-Boyd, which i find incredible.

Cousin needs to be replaced with another big target man who can hold up the ball without a doubt.

JCD is like a tampon, in one week and out for 3.

Plus he is suspended for Europe and we all know we are playing 4 5 1 home and away

and mculloch is not capable of playing that role to the required level IMO.

If Smith sticks `to the same system then JCD and or L McCulloch can play alone up front. Perhaps he should think of playing 2 up front?

I dont care too much what we do - I'll trust WS for now.

I doubt that Walter had any say in the transfer so he will now need to decide what to do without Cousin.

I don't think we should spend the money on another striker we are well covered in that area. JCd was first choice til he got injured and so it will be him who starts from now on. it's midfield we need to get sorted coz If Barry or Brahim get injured now that Thommo is out for a few weeks then we are fucked coz imagine a midfield of Hemdani Adam and Mcculloch fuck that.

I don't think we should spend the money on another striker we are well covered in that area. JCd was first choice til he got injured and so it will be him who starts from now on. it's midfield we need to get sorted coz If Barry or Brahim get injured now that Thommo is out for a few weeks then we are fucked coz imagine a midfield of Hemdani Adam and Mcculloch fuck that.

my thoughts exactly especially with a game every 3 days till then end of feb / beginning of march