Scottish backbone

The Lad

So, last year we were complaining we don't have a scottish backbone. Now we do, but, is it enough to keep us happy for next season? I can't see any other scottish players at present I would want in my team that i don't regard as mediocre spl standard.

So, do we have to force ourselves to get foriegn players in, or do we try stick to our scottish guns? Interesting to see peoples thoughts on maintaining a scottish backbone... or trying to get some european talent in.

I think now that the backbone has been established it is obviously time to branch out for real quality! Its basically the same format as the nine in a row team. Build the quality on top of the home grown players who know and can pass on the score to the foriegners!!

I think now that the backbone has been established it is obviously time to branch out for real quality! Its basically the same format as the nine in a row team. Build the quality on top of the home grown players who know and can pass on the score to the foriegners!!

it's a successful formula (tu)

there aren't many scottish players that could enhance the quality we have so I think we will have to look further afield in the summer

So your happy with it then? Thats what i'm trying to discover... i'm not sure im happy with it, but i can't see any other scottish players that can come in and improve us either.

I'm not a big fan of teams that are full of foriegners, like gretna yesterday only fielded on scottish lad... arsenal have a distinct lack of english etc.

There is no other scottish players (imo) that could improve rangers enough to compete at champions league level. I think if we are looking for scottish players we must concentrate on development of our youth players rather than buying spl players who arnt used to top quality oposition.

Also talking about Arsenal, I believe that is why english international football is so poor. Lack of English players playing in England!! Look at the spanish, italian french leagues dominated by domestic players!! Again an issue which can be brought up to current Scottish success!!

If we were going to be ultra Scottish obsessive, I would go for:

LB - Naysmith

CH - Anderson ( although a lot of traditionalists wouldn't a former sheep in their team)

RB - Hutton

MF - Morrison

MF - Fletcher

All from English clubs.

From Scottish clubs:

Kevin McCann

Lewis Stevenson

Steven Fletcher

Christophe Berra

Danny Swanson

Have potential to be good enough to play for Rangers.

Hutton, Morrison and Fletcher certainly would fit into our team! The Scottish youngsters all look promising, but I keep getting the image of Gow in my head thinking about them. And only Fletcher has any sort of pedigree at the level we are looking at!

I dont want any more Scots. There are none about who are any better than what we already have. It's now about adding quality and taking our game to the next level.

Lets be honest in many games our real backbone is a Spaniard C Cuellar.

It would have been a much different season without him and D Cousin too. I also like DMB who I feel we miss badly. Papac has been good too. Novo at times too. Even JCD - unfit as he is - has his moments.

I am not overly impressed with Scots lads like Whittaker, Broadfoot, C. Adam, L McCulloch and Burke.

I do like McGregor, Daily, Weir, Thomson, Boyd.

In conclusion I like good Scottish players, but not some of the mediocrity above and have nothing against good continentals.

I like winners of any nationality - preferably Scottish but not necessarily so.

I think we need the scottish backbone because only scots know what rangers is all about! If we fill our team with too many imports then we could loose the passion. From PLG to WS the Strengthening of 'decent' scottish talent has been the difference. IMO

I think we need the scottish backbone because only scots know what rangers is all about! If we fill our team with too many imports then we could loose the passion. From PLG to WS the Strengthening of 'decent' scottish talent has been the difference. IMO

Steve davis mate. Steve davis.

Fair point!! But you understand where im coming from! A Karl Svensson doesnt understand the passion!

but a dado prso/nacho novo/carlos cueallar/jean claude darcheville do, they have the right character aswell as ability to play for rangers

Need quality, and we wont find it in the SPL.

Steven Fletcher ?

Nowhere near being a quality player, nowhere near being a £4million pound player.

Steven Fletcher ?

Nowhere near being a quality player, nowhere near being a £4million pound player.

I saw £5Million in a paper yesterday, flabbergasted to be honest. <_<

Fair point!! But you understand where im coming from! A Karl Svensson doesnt understand the passion!

But a Klos, van Bronkhorst, Arveladze, Amoruso, de Boer, Mols, Albertz, Laudrup, Reyna, Novo, Tugay, Numan....do!!!

Cuellar, Hemdani, DMB and Darcheville do.

Steven Fletcher ?

I saw £5Million in a paper yesterday, flabbergasted to be honest. <_<

He's not even worth £1.5million.