The team as it stands

bluedup

Is it good enough to win the SPL??

I expect maybe two or three players to come in before the start, however with our club you just never know and thus the question must be asked. Are we good enough at present?

I expect Strachan to sign one or two players, they seem to be set on Tamas which will probably stretch them financially so if they bring anyone else in he'll probably not be a quality player.

Looking at both teams there might not be much to separate them, which in turn makes me very nervous that they'll sneak it once again.

I really believe that if we take a gamble and spend what we did last term but this time bring in real quality then the league will be ours but I suppose it depends if our custodian can be bothered!!

Yeah, I think we can still win the league.

However, I'd be happier if we strengthened in midfield especially.

spot on I still think our aquad is better than celtics 2 more signing is all we need one attacking mid and a defender maybe even a RB

If the league started tomorrow I'd have my money on them.

They're just about to tie up the Tamas deal for £3.5m, they have a stronger squad in all honestly.

I don't know. <cr>

They're probably stronger in the wider areas - Nakamura and Scotland's Shame - but other than that they're pretty shite.

Saying that, I find it hard to be objective when it comes to them.

lets keep postive lads. excuses aside we through the league away last year. we have the strong squad and it will show this season.

I Predict more trouble across the city. mcgeady to head to newcastle in januray. nakamura to get deported and boruc to give himself up to the chappel as a full time servent.

watp

As much as it pains me to say celtic are in a far stronger position. We need a good bunch of about 4 or 5 REAL quality players. The only change in the team at the minute would probably be Miller for Cousin and we are struggling to find quality players

Taking the blue specs off.

Celtic IMO underperformed last season, probably due to the fact Strachan isn't a great manager. If they can add a good box to box midfield player, a good centre back (or Brown realises his potential and has a good season), and Strachan gets them playing half decent, then our current squad will find it hard to win the SPL. It depends who we add though.

Brown had the thought of his 21 year old sister gradually dying with cancer hanging over him all last season.

Next season we'll really see what he's made of.

Taking the blue specs off.

Celtic IMO underperformed last season, probably due to the fact Strachan isn't a great manager. If they can add a good box to box midfield player, a good centre back (or Brown realises his potential and has a good season), and Strachan gets them playing half decent, then our current squad will find it hard to win the SPL. It depends who we add though.

Someone else who can see past the blind faith in Rangers.

Cetlic are streets ahead of us in terms of attacking quality, Last year they just didnt produce in spells.

Brown will be a much better player this season, now that he doesnt have to worry about his terminally ill sister

We have to improve dramatically

i do not think our current squad is good enough to win the league

our midfield was pretty poor at times last year , it will be even worse this season without Davis and Ferguson

unless we add 2 quality midfielders to the squad i think we will finish 2nd again

a midfield consisting of players like , Dailly , McCulloch and Adam will not win you the SPL , IMO

We have added 3 strikers to the same squad

We're not good enough to win the league in this state.

We need a right back cos Broadfoot is just an accident.

A centre half cos big Davie is getting on

2 midfielders to replace ferguson and Davis

a right winger cos we don't have one.

If we do that then we'll win the league.

In a word - Yes.

Need a center back, center midfileder and a right back.

Good to go!

We are the people! :rangers:

So really, in a word - No.

Given we don't actually have those 3 players you mention....

If the league started tomorrow I'd have my money on them.

They're just about to tie up the Tamas deal for £3.5m, they have a stronger squad in all honestly.

Aye.

no i dont think it is good enough, our midfield is still woefully lacking. we never scored as many goals as celtic and they strangely enough conceded less than us.

we signed kenny miller, laughtery and velicka. with the last one possibly being the best signing out the lot of them. we are aiming for another 2nd place im afraid as things stand

The one area of the team that I thought was really poor last year was the midfield, no creativity, pace or anything, didn't show up so much early on as Hutton was bombing down the right and he could at leat beat a man with the ball. We have done absolutely nothing to improve this area of the team. As it stands I think our team is in a worse state than it was at the end of 2007

Walter has alot of work to do between now and the beginning of the season if we are to mount a challenge. What really concerns me though is the CL qualifiers, not just the tricky 3rd round, I think even the second stage will be tough as it stands.

It has been many years since I felt so negative going into a season, hopefully we can pull a couple of decent signings out the bag to get us going.

the last 2 seasons in a row, celtic have went through poor spells after january, especially when they had nakamura out at that time. If teams in scotland could defend set pieces better, there would have been a hell of a lot more dropped points by them, we just need to forget about them and win every game

The one area of the team that I thought was really poor last year was the midfield, no creativity, pace or anything, didn't show up so much early on as Hutton was bombing down the right and he could at leat beat a man with the ball. We have done absolutely nothing to improve this area of the team. As it stands I think our team is in a worse state than it was at the end of 2007

Walter has alot of work to do between now and the beginning of the season if we are to mount a challenge. What really concerns me though is the CL qualifiers, not just the tricky 3rd round, I think even the second stage will be tough as it stands.

It has been many years since I felt so negative going into a season, hopefully we can pull a couple of decent signings out the bag to get us going.

Also, very well put (tu)

Some Questions:

We don't have Hutton playing half our games this season. I can accept that Kirk Broadfoot was a stop gap last season. However did his performances warrant him being given further chances this season, will be sign a new player, or will Whittaker get given an extended run at RB?

Whittaker will get a run at RB if not asked to play in midfield. I hope he is at RB.

Do we have the ability and cover present to cope with losing Ferguson and Davis from our midfield?

Definitely NO!!

We've added strikers, whilst certainly this give us more depth, have the players we have added increased the overall quality of a potential starting XI?

Only marginally up front

Will we hold onto our best players, and not sell them a few days before the window closes?

Hopefully yes. If Cuellar is sold there will be a revolution.

Does Weir have the legs to last this season, and if not, are Webster, Dailly and Broadfoot good enough to come in and replace him?

We simply cannot take that chance hence WS looking at various CBs.

Can we play another season with no real attacking threat from midfield?

NO, but it is looking that way for now.

---------

What annoys me most is we were promised quality and a transfer kitty, so far.... no result. Same when Le Guen came, we were promised a significant kitty, but no result.

QUALITY - we had some in BF and SD to some extent, now who is there apart from GK and Cuellar?

It makes me very nervous that we are so near the CL qualifiers and so little quality in the team.

I really don't feel that confident at the moment but things could yet change. I expect Walter to continue to use the same system as last season, although I would be delighted to be proved wrong, and that system cries out for pace from midfield and the wide players. At present I cannot see where this is going to come from. I also feel that big Kirk, although I give him ten out of ten for effort, is simply not good enough. Overall I do not think our squad instills confidence. However, I do not regard selic as any great squad either. Will have to wait until I have seen at least a couple of matches before we have a real idea of how things will pan out.

I really don't feel that confident at the moment but things could yet change. I expect Walter to continue to use the same system as last season, although I would be delighted to be proved wrong, and that system cries out for pace from midfield and the wide players. At present I cannot see where this is going to come from. I also feel that big Kirk, although I give him ten out of ten for effort, is simply not good enough. Overall I do not think our squad instills confidence. However, I do not regard selic as any great squad either. Will have to wait until I have seen at least a couple of matches before we have a real idea of how things will pan out.

As I mentioned earlier there isn't much to separate them at present so really it will probably come down to who brings in real quality before the season starts.

I expect one club will be ambitious with their spending over the next week or two and I just hope that club is Rangers.