Is Walter Smith still the right man to manage our Football club?

Columbo

Is Walter Smith the right man for the Job?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Is Walter the right man?

• Yes
    • No
    • Wait Until the Season's finished before deciding

I go to Ibrox about once a month and on this board and I personally feel that the critcism Walter Smith gets is totally unfair. True his signings have (in genreal) been awful since he's returned. Darcheville, Dailly, McCulloch, Whittaker, Gow etc have been poor misses than good but all those were last summer. This summer he has signed well with Bougherra, Mendes and Miller all so far looking like good additions. He took us to a European final and turned us from a team that was battling for second place into a team that is battling for the title. True he has made mistakes but I feel Walter does not deserve the criticism he gets and is certainly the right man to lead the club.

:rangers::rangers:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the current moment, yes.

However, i'd be extremely dissapointed if he was still here by season 09-10. Regardless if we win the league or even the treble.

I don't know why you'd want to sack a treble winning manager.

If Smith is delivering success then in my book he deserves to stay as long as he wants. All this talk has re-surfaced after 1 bad result. Yes it was planted after the Kaunas fiasco but there weren't too many suggesting he go when we humped Celtic a few weeks back.

£30 million spent, negative football (even in spl), no consistency of selection, players continually played out of position, a squad size that will come back to haunt us next year, his scottish cronies (big lee) getting a game, kirk broadfoot being allowed to play for rangers (he hasn't improved, not giving away goals every game doesn't make you a good player, just slightly less shit), pissing away the league when it was won (so what the fixtures were aginst us, we still should have beat motherwell and not got beat twice by celtic), youth players not getting a chance (did sdm not say this is the future of the club), lack of discipline (why are charlie and fans fav krissy krissy boyd so fat?), kaunus.

yeah let's give him till next year, what can go wrong? watties return, brilliant! the team that drinks together wins together! actually in 2008 it doesn't. can we pull our heads out of 1994 and try and have a forward thinking, modern, entertaining team to watch?

I don't.

With the money he's spent we've got a half decent team but still got lots of problems that he should have sorted. Decisions like giving Weir and Dailly new deals, playing central players in all four wide positions and despite spending £6million on strikers that are all average make me think he's not the man to manage us.

£30 million spent, negative football (even in spl), no consistency of selection, players continually played out of position, a squad size that will come back to haunt us next year, his scottish cronies (big lee) getting a game, kirk broadfoot being allowed to play for rangers (he hasn't improved, not giving away goals every game doesn't make you a good player, just slightly less shit), pissing away the league when it was won (so what the fixtures were aginst us, we still should have beat motherwell and not got beat twice by celtic), youth players not getting a chance (did sdm not say this is the future of the club), lack of discipline (why are charlie and fans fav krissy krissy boyd so fat?), kaunus.

yeah let's give him till next year, what can go wrong? watties return, brilliant! the team that drinks together wins together! actually in 2008 it doesn't. can we pull our heads out of 1994 and try and have a forward thinking, modern, entertaining team to watch?

Paul Le Guen anybody?

However, i'd be extremely dissapointed if he was still here by season 09-10. Regardless if we win the league or even the treble.

If Smith is delivering success then in my book he deserves to stay as long as he wants. All this talk has re-surfaced after 1 bad result. Yes it was planted after the Kaunas fiasco but there weren't too many suggesting he go when we humped Celtic a few weeks back.

I don't believe he is the right man to A) bring the youths of Murray Park into the first team or B) source out "gems" from the less glamorous leagues. Due to spending £30 million or so in recent years and missing out on Champions League football, lets just say there will be no Steve Davis' or Pedro Mendes' arriving any time soon. Even SDM has said that Murray Park must start producing as the big spending is now over.

In short, i dont think the current state and long term targets of the club are suited to Walter Smith's style of management.

And please, i (along with many others) said that Smith should have went after the UEFA Cup final.

Paul Le Guen anybody?

o.k because le guen was bad we have to put up with smith forever??? that makes sense, call me crazy but i would prefer a proper manager who can coach a decent style of football and not spend millions to secure the two diddy cups.

beating celtic does not win you the league, just look at last season.

Wouldn't say we've been particularly negative this year. If anything, we look like we're planning to play a more watchable brand of football. One of our most creative players is yet to play this season after all.

Don't know how you can say there is no consistency of selection. Our back 4 is a certainty every game, as our 3 of our 4 midfielders and 1 striker.

Lee McCulloch has been injured almost all season and has only played twice. Started well for us last season but was admittedly poor in the latter half of last season.

Kirk Broadfoot has played well on the whole this year. For me, his best game was against Hibs but he played very well against celtic and also his goal-scoring International debut.

Throwing away the league - yes, a massive disappointment. Ultimately we ran out of legs and ideas. Don't forget he got us into that position in the first place - the unprecedented volume of fixtures cannot be discounted in that. Celtic have had a good few seasons head-start on us (team-building wise) with our financial and managerial problems and yet the gap has been surmounted already.

Youth players not getting a chance - agreed it would be nice to see more of a few of the future stars. Having said that, our seemingly best young talents in recent years have been Alan Hutton, Allan McGregor, Chris Burke, Steven Smith and Charlie Adam, and we've seen how the fans turn on them when they go through a bad patch. There is hardy anyone from our youth teams who has gone elsewhere and been a success.

I'm playing devil's advocate somewhat on that issue as I do agree that our policy of blooding youth could be improved upon.

As for the fat comment, Charlie Adam and Kris Boyd will never be fast. Never. They are built that way. If you forced them to do sprint training all day every day, they would still not be Olympic sprinters. From what I hear Adam Owen has the players working extremely hard on fitness - I agree they're not natural athletes but constantly calling them fat is neither fair nor accurate.

no, hasnt been and wasnt from the moment he walked back in the door.........i was glad to see him leave at the end of the 10 in a row bid and wasnt happy to see him back

wattie wattie GTF

all this in smith we trust PISH is sooo narrow minded it is beyond belief

take one look at adam and that sums up my point

no, hasnt been and wasnt from the moment he walked back in the door.........i was glad to see him leave at the end of the 10 in a row bid and wasnt happy to see him back

wattie wattie GTF

Very harsh,Wattie brought the heart back into our club after P.L.G,long term id like to see someone else but he should at least finish the season

wattie wattie GTF

Very harsh,Wattie brought the heart back into our club after P.L.G,long term id like to see someone else but he should at least finish the season

it wouldnt have taken much to bring some heart back after the le guen disaster, i believe given time he could have achieved it, but it wasnt meant to be

as for smith being the only manager capable of that task, thats just stupid, there are a number of managers who have proven (or willing to prove) they are up to that task

smith was the easy option for murray, a yes man, look at the money smith has had compaired to le guen, who was supposed to herald the beginning of a new era for the club

smith is stubborn and his negative attitude to the overall game of football has done more harm that good during his 1st term, bar the uefa final (which was a total one off playin that way, NO OTHER TEAM COULD PROGRESS TO THE FINAL IN THE MANNER WE DID, WITHOUT CONCEEDING)..........