Broadfoot and Papac

nvager

I think both are adequate, not bad at all, but not any more than that. Being natural centre halves they both drift inside and are often caught out by a good wide player or natural winger, which results in dangerous crosses not being blocked at inception.

Again they try hard to attack down the flanks but the final cross is very often blocked. Broadfoot had a bit of success for a while, but teams have gotten wise to him. Both can be slow to get back at times and get caught up field.

They both are looking for a better contract and both are likely to get one.

Does this mean they are fixtures in the side for many years?

I really wonder. I hope not as we surely can do better.

Am I wrong? Perhaps people on RM are satisfied with them or like the `current set up.

The sad thing is that S Smith is a bit off real form after injury and no young players seem ready to step up or maybe I am mistaken?

I don't have a problem with Papac or Broadfoot in the side. I think both players are fairly consistent, rarely having huge games, but never massively screwing up either. Both of them have alot of heart and give their best in every game. Since both are essentially learning new positions, I think the progress they have made is great for the team and shows other what hard work can achieve.

Broadfoot is not sufficiently good enough at RB. It's not what he does, as far as defending is concerned he's ok, it's what he doesn't do. Fullbacks that can offer support to the midfield and provide width are so important, particularly in a team that is so lacking in natural width as we are at the moment. He's a serious weak link at fullback. The same applies to Papac although I feel he is a little better.

admit to hating them in the begining, but given a long run in the side has gave them consistency and a stable back four can only get better. think broadfoot is the most improved player at rangers the boy has heart.

If someone offered me £5-6m for Weir, Papac, Whittaker and Broadfoot I'd be tempted to take it.

If we're going for a Mendes/Barry/Thommo midfield, we've got no width. In that case, we're expecting the width to come from the fullbacks. Now I love the job Weir's done and I totally respect the improvements that Papac and Broadfoot have made, but they're both centre backs and aren't going to give us the width we need now that we'll probably go 3 in midfield.

Two attacking fullbacks and a no-nonsense centre back would improve us drastically.

My post on this very subject the other day.

Both players are doing a job, but not for me in the long term.

I think both are adequate, not bad at all, but not any more than that. Being natural centre halves they both drift inside and are often caught out by a good wide player or natural winger, which results in dangerous crosses not being blocked at inception.

Again they try hard to attack down the flanks but the final cross is very often blocked. Broadfoot had a bit of success for a while, but teams have gotten wise to him. Both can be slow to get back at times and get caught up field.

They both are looking for a better contract and both are likely to get one.

Does this mean they are fixtures in the side for many years?

I really wonder. I hope not as we surely can do better.

Am I wrong? Perhaps people on RM are satisfied with them or like the `current set up.

The sad thing is that S Smith is a bit off real form after injury and no young players seem ready to step up or maybe I am mistaken?

I too feel we could do better , I think a contributing factor is that both the right and left mid are problem positions also with left mid the most pressing concern . I can see Broadfoot going into centre back eventually - we need some wingers back and on form .

They do a job and that is all - both are not good enough if we want to improve. If their performances drop a touch then we are in trouble.

Sadly our manager see's them as the long term solution.

For the meantime in the SPL , they will be fine , they have not let us down so far

like most fans I would like to see 2 attacking fullbacks and a commanding CB, but I cannot see us spending in January, with us having no european football

I think this has been our problem for the past 3 years though... Being content with "adequate" players.

While I haven othing against either of them because they are good players and fairly consistent, with Papac showing a little more of what he can do in the last few months.

I think as a club of our stature, we should be aiming for world class players, not simply adequate.

So you have my response, we should always aim for bigger, better players.

With Weir finished it should be taken into acount by Smith that they are centre backs. I know he gave Broadfoot a few games at centre back at the beginning of this season but Papac hasn't been given a chance there since Smith came, it could be a good way to go out and buy a natural attacking full back without having to drop Papac.

I think Papac would still do a good job as CB, maybe better than weir, cause then he doesn't need to travel up the pitch out of his comfort zone. The problem being, he'll never get a chance, because theirs no one to step in and take the left back position. He'll never make the swap due to that.

Papac is good enough, Broadfoot can be and might prove to be long term. Neither is at a standard which should be acceptable to The Rangers.

How I long for the days of Sandy Jardine - it's around thirty years since we had what I consider to be a Rangers class RB.

Papac is good enough, Broadfoot can be and might prove to be long term. Neither is at a standard which should be acceptable to The Rangers.

How I long for the days of Sandy Jardine - it's around thirty years since we had what I consider to be a Rangers class RB.

I think your doin Gary Stevens a dis-service there but i know what your saying.

Kirk Broadfoot is ok for the SPL but in the Champions league next season we should be looking at a class full back there.

Neither of them are good enough long term.

I hate when folk are satisfied because players are 'ok', we should be aiming higher.

totally agree broadfoot worst player in that poistion apart from mo ross since pre souness.

papac toch better defensively but no numan, robertson or stevie smith preinjury in my view. rangers fullbacks need to be aggressive, quick and cultured when going forward, something i think they both lack.