XP help

LegendofCoop

Edit: I've changes the original request & now want to delete XP & reinstal it again! How? (tu)

Where do I begin?

I'm working on my mates laptop as his daughter has buggered it somehow. Basically at startup, you get the "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: "

The file is Windows System32\System config file.

Anyhow, I think I've come to the conclusion that it's screwed. However, he has some data for work on the C drive that he was hoping to keep. I don't think there's any way I can get away without installing XP again, and hoping it does a repair instead of a clean instal. This is where my problem comes.

There are two drives, C & D, but about 20gb. Obviously the main drive is C. IF, I instal on D, will it work and would I be able to view the data on the C drive? I presume that the BIOS menu will always look to C?

If I have to instal on c, can I merge the two drives so that I get one 40gb drive, not two 20gb???

If anyone out there knows what I'm talking about I'd appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Mark (tu)

Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Did you try a system restore to a date previous to when this started happening?

That was what I set out to do 4 hours ago mate :lol:

Even when trying to start up in safe mode you can'tget past the Windows\System32\styste,config message. All you get is a message saying you have to boot from XP disc & try to repair!

Cheers for the link away to check it the now :pipehorse:

If you have the original XP disc (or can get hold of a mates one) just run it. I had exactly the same thing, was pricing up a new machine and everything, but this sorted it out ok.

Cheers buddy. (tu)

I do have an XP disc, but it's an old one (service pack 1a :lol: ). That's what I was going to use (or the backup disc I have for the laptop).

Would this over-write EVERYTHING currently on the C drive or only the missing system file?

When I run the XP disc, I get to the part that shows you the available drives/partitions. I see that there is 15gb of stuff already on the C drive so I'd really like to keep that if possible!

Cheers again!

If you put the disc in and it asks to boot of CD select Yes

If it goes past that straight into your options, there should be on asking to install or repair, select r.

This will NOT effect the content of your Hard drive other than the OS files, not sure if you would need to reinstall SP2 but I wouldnt have thought so, it is just repairing that damaged file(s).

This is a common problem apparently, if you have a disc you are laughing. Any probs cut and paste the error messages into google and a cure will be found.

If you put the disc in and it asks to boot of CD select Yes

If it goes past that straight into your options, there should be on asking to install or repair, select r.

This will NOT effect the content of your Hard drive other than the OS files, not sure if you would need to reinstall SP2 but I wouldnt have thought so, it is just repairing that damaged file(s).

This is a common problem apparently, if you have a disc you are laughing. Any probs cut and paste the error messages into google and a cure will be found.

Brilliant! Cheers mate!

To be honest, I did use google first, but some of the tech help I found was just TO specific. I just wanted to know if the data would be lost!

I should have come on here first. I've had a couple of issues to resolve before & always end up getting it sorted from someone on here! (tu)

Thanks again. Away to sort it now, hopefully.

try running chkdsk /r

to do this you need to boot your comp with a windows xp cd

change the first boot to your cd/dvd drive in the bios

put your windows xp cd in the drive

restart

press any key to boot of the cd

it will load windows installation wizard

press r

it will then load up a command line recovery console in dos, you might need to select your os by inputting a number as well as a password to access it (normally its blank).

now type

chkdsk /r

if that doesn't work try it would be worth running FIXMBR and FIXBOOT (on the 'broken' disk). e.g. FIXBOOT C: and simply FIXMBR.

try running chkdsk /r

to do this you need to boot your comp with a windows xp cd

change the first boot to your cd/dvd drive in the bios

put your windows xp cd in the drive

restart

press any key to boot of the cd

it will load windows installation wizard

press r

it will then load up a command line recovery console in dos, you might need to select your os by inputting a number as well as a password to access it (normally its blank).

now type

chkdsk /r

if that doesn't work try it would be worth running FIXMBR and FIXBOOT (on the 'broken' disk). e.g. FIXBOOT C: and simply FIXMBR.

Kelta, thanks very much for that info. I tried it, but to no avail!

*sigh* I have now managed to get windows installed....on not one, but two drives! C & D. doh

Trouble is, all the data that I wanted to retreive IS still there, which I was initially happy about. However it all seems to be corrupted, and wont open properly.

What I WANT to do now i...WIPE all files off the bloody thing! I want to ZAP all files and reinstal XP again!

How do I do that then? I've tried formatting both drives, but only succeed in getting a message to say that the drives are in use. I've also tried a programme called Eraser, but I'm obviously too thick to use it. It seems to go on about creating a bootable floppy when neither PC has an A drive. Even creating an ISO file doesn't seem to work!

Surely there must be a way of scrubbing the hard drive or removing XP without all this fuss? <_<

What I WANT to do now i...WIPE all files off the bloody thing! I want to ZAP all files and reinstal XP again!

How do I do that then? I've tried formatting both drives, but only succeed in getting a message to say that the drives are in use. I've also tried a programme called Eraser, but I'm obviously too thick to use it. It seems to go on about creating a bootable floppy when neither PC has an A drive. Even creating an ISO file doesn't seem to work!

Surely there must be a way of scrubbing the hard drive or removing XP without all this fuss? <_<

Do you just want to do a clean install of XP on the disc, removing all files (including the stuff you originally wanted to keep)?

If so, you'll have to boot from CD and when it offers you the options, press Enter for a new install. When it asks about which partition to install it on, choose the drive you want to install (it's up to you if you create partitions here, I'm guessing you won't bother).

Then choose "Format the partition (NTFS system)" and it will give you a warning that all files will be removed. I think it will warn you that there is already an operating system on that partition as well, just accept both warnings.

It should then give you a clean install. Good luck (tu)

Do you just want to do a clean install of XP on the disc, removing all files (including the stuff you originally wanted to keep)?

If so, you'll have to boot from CD and when it offers you the options, press Enter for a new install. When it asks about which partition to install it on, choose the drive you want to install (it's up to you if you create partitions here, I'm guessing you won't bother).

Then choose "Format the partition (NTFS system)" and it will give you a warning that all files will be removed. I think it will warn you that there is already an operating system on that partition as well, just accept both warnings.

just to add to this part after pressing f8 to agree select both partitions and press d to delete the two partitions to make one partition and this will wipe all xp installs and data. i would always suggest to create 2 partitions though one for the os and on for data. I usually give 10gb for xp.

just to add to this part after pressing f8 to agree select both partitions and press d to delete the two partitions to make one partition and this will wipe all xp installs and data. i would always suggest to create 2 partitions though one for the os and on for data. I usually give 10gb for xp.

Outstanding lads! Cheers for that! Partitions now deleted and running a clean instal on 1 new partition!

Nice one! (tu)

I was thinking it was two drives, not one partitioned drive, but you're probably right. I left out the partitions bit because I wasn't sure he would want the extra hassle if he's not sure what he's doing. I agree that it's a good idea to do it though (tu)

Good luck LegendofCoop, hope it all continues to go smoothly :)

I was thinking it was two drives, not one partitioned drive, but you're probably right. I left out the partitions bit because I wasn't sure he would want the extra hassle if he's not sure what he's doing. I agree that it's a good idea to do it though (tu)

Good luck LegendofCoop, hope it all continues to go smoothly :)

I would have been just as happy with having two partitions mate :)

The laptop is going to a silly wee lassie who will never really understand that she's best keeping data stored on the D drive, and keeping the C drive free. Therefore I thought it would be best keeping one big drive so that it will be easier to clean & update....hopefully!

It's been a bugger of a job, as when I deleted XP I removed all the driver files for the network card, so now installing them so that I can reinstal everything, from XP SP3 through to Live messenger etc etc.

Not a hard task, but just a slow process!

Cheers to all who helped!! :beer2: